Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil overfill warning??!!??

Views : 15401

Replies : 112

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2019, 10:56   #21
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOzS90 View Post
Yes I thought the same. Thanks for the link. I should have searched it. I’ll certainly be keeping a closer eye on my oil level.
That's not easy without a physical dipstick and an e-dipstick that is merely a pass/fail indicator, despite pretending otherwise (at least on my model).

I use the Android 'Car Scanner' app in conjunction with a cheap Bluetooth ELM327 diagnostic port interface to access the sump level sensor data (in mm).
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 13:11   #22
taylora

This is the level indicator on a V90, I assume all newer models are like this too now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil_level.jpg (38.2 KB, 83 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to taylora For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 13:25   #23
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I do not believe it is common on current Volvo but it is very common to transverse engine Land/RangeRover/Jaguar and Isuzu 2.5 litre twin turbo pickups. Probably more. It is a big problem on the above mentioned, necessitating JLR to provide free intermediate early oil changes well into the future. They don’t seem to have found a solution for existing vehicles but will probably have done so for the new revised models, starting with the current Evoque. I mean serious amounts of gross fuel contamination is involved that must compromise the engine life of those engines.

Believe me, Volvo have nothing approaching that kind of issue.
One would certainly hope they have Quacker but there's no indication as yet that that's the case on the new Evoque or the forthcoming facelifted Disco Sport - I keep an interested eye on the Disco Sport forum given that I got rid of mine in disgust early last year
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 13:27   #24
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylora View Post
This is the level indicator on a V90, I assume all newer models are like this too now...
That is quite different to mine, but what resolution can it actually display? From the graduations mine appears to be capable of 25% step resolution, but actually only displays either min or max as a threshold is crossed.
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 13:47   #25
taylora

All I know is that is was about 4 or 5 nothes below max and has crept up so it's now 1 notch below. I expect I'll get a warning message sometime soon and they'll have to drain and change the oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to taylora For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 17:05   #26
Boatie
Master Member

If you go onto the V70 forum and do a search going back about 5-6 years you will find reams of comments etc around oil overfill/dilution. It was all around DPF regeneration. At least the 5 cylinder had a 'service' dipstick which by ripping the back of your hand on metal edges you could access
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 18:23   #27
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
If you go onto the V70 forum and do a search going back about 5-6 years you will find reams of comments etc around oil overfill/dilution. It was all around DPF regeneration. At least the 5 cylinder had a 'service' dipstick which by ripping the back of your hand on metal edges you could access
What was the case then should not be the case now with the latest generation cars. This is because current vehicles have a very efficient regeneration system where the DPF is mounted directly to the end of the turbo and not down the exhaust pipe, under the floor, which results in minimal heat loss twixt combustion and filter.
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 18:59   #28
GTA SOL

I had the same warning recently on my D5 XC60.

Was near my dealer so popped in and they said it was due to the DPF not completing its full regen cycle before I stopp3d my last journey (or something like that).

They drained some oil and all was good.
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 06:30   #29
MOzS90

This is the main issue. Why not have a DPF regen light showing you when it is taking place? The way I understand it, explained to me by the Volvo Assist engineer who came out, the regen starts whenever it likes and the driver has no indication. If you stop your car partway through, any diesel involved in it is just dumped into the sump. At least if you knew it was happening, you had the option of continuing to drive around until it completed it avoiding this issue over time.

Last edited by MOzS90; Jul 2nd, 2019 at 06:53.
MOzS90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MOzS90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 08:02   #30
gaby
Premier Member

Since the driver knows how long the next ride will be, why not allow him to start
a regen himself if the conditions for it are almost met?