Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Passenger Side Electrics

Views : 1807

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2020, 16:21   #31
andyf117

Default New Development

Just taken a phone call from Volvo, advising that the new PDM is fitted, and "that side of the car is fine - but..."
The "but" being that on being taken for a test drive, there were a couple of sudden power losses, and on getting back to the workshop, fluctuating indications of the battery charge levels, and trouble starting the car...
....investigation has revealed that the CEM "has a number of green pins", suggesting it's got wet at some point - when checking recall notices last week, I saw one involved connections to the washer system that was allowing water to run back to the CEM. On my mentioning that, he checked my car's recall history, but apparently it wasn't subject to that one...
....I've never experienced any power or starting issues whatsoever, so am somewhat taken aback by this sudden development - and as a replacement CEM would be a further £860, for now I'm letting them "clean it up as best they can" and will see how it goes...

Edit: 90 minutes after the above-mentioned phone call, just taken another from the service manager to say that the situation's worsened, insofar as 'cleaning up' and re-fitting the CEM resulted in a completely dead car...
....the 'upside' is that with it having happened whilst with them ("on my watch", as he put it), he has stated that they'll replace it for "significantly less" than the previously-stated £860 - "rolling the two jobs into one" and "at in-house cost" were two phrases used, so that I won't be looking at £1700+ had they been done separately...

Current: 2019 V40 R-Design T2 Pro in Ice White
Previous: 2009 C70 T5 Sport in Polar White
Prior: 2004 S40 2.0 Sport Lux in Black

Last edited by andyf117; Feb 21st, 2020 at 18:01.
andyf117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 21:15   #32
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf117 View Post
Just taken a phone call from Volvo, advising that the new PDM is fitted, and "that side of the car is fine - but..."
The "but" being that on being taken for a test drive, there were a couple of sudden power losses, and on getting back to the workshop, fluctuating indications of the battery charge levels, and trouble starting the car...
....investigation has revealed that the CEM "has a number of green pins", suggesting it's got wet at some point - when checking recall notices last week, I saw one involved connections to the washer system that was allowing water to run back to the CEM. On my mentioning that, he checked my car's recall history, but apparently it wasn't subject to that one...
....I've never experienced any power or starting issues whatsoever, so am somewhat taken aback by this sudden development - and as a replacement CEM would be a further £860, for now I'm letting them "clean it up as best they can" and will see how it goes...

Edit: 90 minutes after the above-mentioned phone call, just taken another from the service manager to say that the situation's worsened, insofar as 'cleaning up' and re-fitting the CEM resulted in a completely dead car...
....the 'upside' is that with it having happened whilst with them ("on my watch", as he put it), he has stated that they'll replace it for "significantly less" than the previously-stated £860 - "rolling the two jobs into one" and "at in-house cost" were two phrases used, so that I won't be looking at £1700+ had they been done separately...
this is BS. don't stand for it. Call up Volvo HQ if required. Have them replace it Gratis. not 'reduced'. He already conceded 'on his watch'. they know it's their responsibility. stand your ground. polite, assertive but dont accept it. At most, be nice and agree to pay a small portion of labour, but the CEM and other hardware us 100% on them. How do you know rhey didnt mis diagnose the door module and break the CEM pins whilst investigating. You need to stand up for your rights so others don't get taken advantage of.

edit:
Moreover, I'd suspect your door module may have been okay all along and the connection at the CEM from water ingress could have been the culprit. This is a classic case of a garage maybe having good intentions, but things not going to plan and trying to palm some of the financial burden onto the customer.

Last edited by lockstock; Feb 21st, 2020 at 21:32.
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 23:00   #33
volvo for ever
Premier Member

door wiring issues were more s40 and v 50's you would get an odd c70 not many
and its not broken wires it the teminals at a pillat at check strap 2x black plastic plugs

they introduced gold termials if i remember approx 12 wires each side more on c70 for srs

to do both side depending how good you are easy 2 hours

regarding cem ingress green plug on top of cem cant remember pin no's it was washer pump causing issue and calpillary action,causing water ingress in cem

looks like 2 seperate faults tbh

regards
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 17:28   #34
andyf117

To be fair to the dealer, the CEM having "some green pins" clearly indicates that the corrosion has been occurring over time - so it's not something they did, per se, simply that the issue reared its head while with them...
....whilst the initial door problems may have been related, the fact that everything worked after fitting the new PDM ("that side of the car is fine") suggests not - if the CEM was the cause, then the new module would also have been affected, and it obviously worked, hence the test drive...
....the upside to the CEM issue occurring whilst with the dealer is that not only is it now being fixed for a lower overall cost than if done as a second separate repair, but also that it didn't give up the ghost at a critical moment on the road - eg., during an opportunistic overtake, or on a bend along a narrow Cornish lane - or just not starting when miles from home...

The Following User Says Thank You to andyf117 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 20:14   #35
lockstock

Quote:
To be fair to the dealer, the CEM having "some green pins" clearly indicates that the corrosion has been occurring over time - so it's not something they did, per se, simply that the issue reared its head while with them...
....whilst the initial door problems may have been related, the fact that everything worked after fitting the new PDM ("that side of the car is fine") suggests not - if the CEM was the cause, then the new module would also have been affected, and it obviously worked, hence the test drive...
....the upside to the CEM issue occurring whilst with the dealer is that not only is it now being fixed for a lower overall cost than if done as a second separate repair, but also that it didn't give up the ghost at a critical moment on the road - eg., during an opportunistic overtake, or on a bend along a narrow Cornish lane - or just not starting when miles from home...
so you had the car back with the door module fitted and working and test drove it? Or the garage just told you this?

I understand you wanting to give them benefit of the doubt, but before fitting a new door module it is well know on these cars there can be CEM plug issues. They should inspect this (takes no time) before fitting the door module. You have no way of knowing if this was needed, and neither do they now.

Last edited by lockstock; Feb 22nd, 2020 at 20:19.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 14:39   #36
andyf117

Default The Saga Continues

So, got the car back Monday afternoon - bill was almost £1300, which I was told amounted to all the parts and labour having being at "cost price"...
....then had to wait for an hour, as when I went to unlock it, I discovered my 'main' key - they'd had the spare - wouldn't work, which was, of course, due to the new module meaning it was no longer coded to the car...
....noticed while they were doing the software download to sort that out, that they had the car hooked up to a charger unit, and when they drove the car back around, they left it running as the battery charge was "very low"...
....30+ minute drive back with a petrol stop a mile from home, then used it yesterday for a two-stop parcel run, so it was started three times within half-an-hour on a five-mile round trip...
....went to open it at mid-day today - nothing. Totally and utterly dead. Phoned dealer, they're suggesting the battery - original, so 10+ years old - has given up, possibly after the 'strain' of three software uploads whilst with them. Say if I can get it to them, they will fit a new one, at just its cost (£93), fitted free...

Old Feb 26th, 2020, 15:14   #37
lockstock

Quote:
So, got the car back Monday afternoon - bill was almost £1300, which I was told amounted to all the parts and labour having being at "cost price"...
....then had to wait for an hour, as when I went to unlock it, I discovered my 'main' key - they'd had the spare - wouldn't work, which was, of course, due to the new module meaning it was no longer coded to the car...
....noticed while they were doing the software download to sort that out, that they had the car hooked up to a charger unit, and when they drove the car back around, they left it running as the battery charge was "very low"...
....30+ minute drive back with a petrol stop a mile from home, then used it yesterday for a two-stop parcel run, so it was started three times within half-an-hour on a five-mile round trip...
....went to open it at mid-day today - nothing. Totally and utterly dead. Phoned dealer, they're suggesting the battery - original, so 10+ years old - has given up, possibly after the 'strain' of three software uploads whilst with them. Say if I can get it to them, they will fit a new one, at just its cost (£93), fitted free...
I'm very sorry to hear this. And to tell you, you are being taken advantage of. The battery may well be your shout to pay for but £93 is RETAIL not cost. garage are having a laugh. I could buy a battery direct from volvo today, will be between £75 and £100 depending on the version. It's max 10 mins to swap batter, probs closer to 5, even having to remove strut brace.

You will do what you think is best, but Im pretty sure at least half of that £1300 is you paying for the garages mistake.

I hope you have some luck resolving this... Also, the garage had the battery charging as it clearly failed on them. They could have done a load test and told you upfront it needed changing, but instead they sent you away... Am apalled at what you have experienced, and amazed at how calm and accepting you are about it. You are a better man than I.

I'm not asking you to name and shame, but can you tell me what part of the country this volvo dealer was in? Want to ensure I never go there

Last edited by lockstock; Feb 26th, 2020 at 15:16.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 16:43   #38
andyf117

There's more...
....during a follow-up to my initial phone call to them at mid-day, I hooked the car up to my battery charger - connecting pos to the battery and neg to a piece of bodywork (nut on top of front strut) as instructed. When I turned the charger on the alarm went off, the charger's needle was jumping around crazily, and the sidelights were flickering like mad - it took half-a-dozen attempts to silence the alarm by inserting and re-inserting the key. At some points, the driver's window had opened - half-way at first, and then fully...
....the charger then settled down, and went into a repetitive cycle of 3-4 seconds all the way over to the right (past the 'max' rate) accompanied by clicking and whirring noises from the car, then flicking all the way to the left (not charging) and staying there for 12 seconds. When I checked it half-an-hour later, it appeared to have settled at a steady charge rate just below the max - but an hour later, it was back to a repeating cycle, but this time 3-4 seconds on (with clicks and whirrs), and 30 seconds 'off'...
....after two-and-a-half hours hooked up, there's still nothing whatsoever when I turn the key - no dash lights, nothing. Have had to tape plastic sheeting over the wide-open driver's window - and hope my RAC breakdown cover extends to transporting the car 15-16 miles back to Volvo tomorrow...

Old Feb 26th, 2020, 18:09   #39
lockstock

Quote:
There's more...
....during a follow-up to my initial phone call to them at mid-day, I hooked the car up to my battery charger - connecting pos to the battery and neg to a piece of bodywork (nut on top of front strut) as instructed. When I turned the charger on the alarm went off, the charger's needle was jumping around crazily, and the sidelights were flickering like mad - it took half-a-dozen attempts to silence the alarm by inserting and re-inserting the key. At some points, the driver's window had opened - half-way at first, and then fully...
....the charger then settled down, and went into a repetitive cycle of 3-4 seconds all the way over to the right (past the 'max' rate) accompanied by clicking and whirring noises from the car, then flicking all the way to the left (not charging) and staying there for 12 seconds. When I checked it half-an-hour later, it appeared to have settled at a steady charge rate just below the max - but an hour later, it was back to a repeating cycle, but this time 3-4 seconds on (with clicks and whirrs), and 30 seconds 'off'...
....after two-and-a-half hours hooked up, there's still nothing whatsoever when I turn the key - no dash lights, nothing. Have had to tape plastic sheeting over the wide-open driver's window - and hope my RAC breakdown cover extends to transporting the car 15-16 miles back to Volvo tomorrow...
I know it's not my business, but please try firmly pushing back at volvo customer service. explain what's happened and try to get some money back, it feels like I listening to one of these cowboy trader stories about someone being ripped off...
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 18:48   #40
andyf117

I am giving serious thought to contacting Volvo, but not until I've successfully got the car back on the road - would prefer to try and get some sort of refund after the event, rather than while it's in the hands of a potentially less-than-happy dealer. I am concious, however, of having bought the car second-hand privately, and until now only dealt with Volvo themselves once, for the clutch cylinder recall...

Meanwhile, what's concerning me is how/why the driver's window moved, not once, but twice after hooking the car up to the charger when nothing else worked - no click inserting the key, no dash lights, nothing, apart from the alarm and flickering sidelights until it recognised the key...
....it's reminiscent of when I plugged the passenger door connector back in, and that window immediately opened slightly - at least this time, I was following instructions over the phone, so if that PDM's now fried, I can blame them...