Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Screen wash

Views : 2577

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2020, 19:47   #1
Geordiesteve

Default Screen wash

Guys,

Can anyone recommend a good screenwash. My low level has came on, and I know I've read a lot of ppl saying you need to stick with Volvo screenwash, but I'd imagine that's just a revenue stream?

Can you let me know what your all using. My drives got winter pack so I assume heated blades.

Thanks
Geordiesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 19:54   #2
St Evelyn
VOC Member

I'm still working my way through a 20L drum of BMW screen wash that I bought for my last car. I suspect that this is the same basic product as the Volvo as it's alcohol-based and specified for fan jets and the like. Never any issue when mixing it with the Volvo stuff and works well. Only got a few litres left now and they don't seem to do the 20L option any more, so going to have to look for an alternative bulk option soon.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to St Evelyn For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 20:11   #3
finnster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordiesteve View Post
Guys,

Can anyone recommend a good screenwash. My low level has came on, and I know I've read a lot of ppl saying you need to stick with Volvo screenwash, but I'd imagine that's just a revenue stream?

Can you let me know what your all using. My drives got winter pack so I assume heated blades.

Thanks
I use Pestone Max Visibility Ready Mixed Screenwash, its 5 litres for £4.49 from Toolstation.

I have the winter pack too and have not encountered any problems with it.

It doesn't smear and gives protection down to -10c, its as cheap as the supermarket stuff but seems to do the job really well.
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 09:17   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

£3 for 5ltrs from Boyes stores and good to minus 10°c
Screenshot_20190123-112525_Chrome.jpg
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 09:18   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

£3 for 5ltrs from Boyes stores and good to minus 10°c (photo is of my old stock which used to be minus 20°c)
Attachment 125240
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 09:48   #6
daverey

Out if interest, I've just bought a load of official Volvo stuff as I was passing a dealer. £4-odd for 1 litre, which can be diluted to 3 litres up to -18 degrees. More expensive than shop-bought stuff, but I kind of figures for the amount involved and for the avoidance of any potential problems down the line, well worth sticking to the offish stuff.

The bloody reservoir is massive though: mine was completely empty, and reckon its just swallowed 6 litres before topping out!!!
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 12:40   #7
EssexExile
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverey View Post
The bloody reservoir is massive though:
I assumed it must be, I just let them top it up at the service, I've never needed to do it in between.
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 14:04   #8
mr rusty

Went to my dealers (doves preston) who have just closed the franchise taken over by new Rybrooks. They didn't have any volvo screenwash in stock as they were running down. Asked if there is any reason not to use off the shelf, and they confirmed it made no odds what I used. Does it? I don't know, but I do big miles and have put several litres of carplan through with no detrimental effect.
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 14:45   #9
Hogster

I had problems with the white residue when I first got the car and it was using the Volvo screenwash mixed with Halfords as I was too tight to pay Volvo prices. Now it's all through the system I regularly use Halfords, or CarPlan or Tesco own and it's perfectly fine. I do a high mileage and even though my tank takes 5 litres, it seems to go through it bloody quickly at this time of the year!
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 14:50   #10
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexExile View Post
I assumed it must be, I just let them top it up at the service, I've never needed to do it in between.
I wish mine never needed filling between services - I'm guessing that you don't have headlight cleaning on your car? Mine has headlight cleaning and in winter a full screen wash reservoir lasts about a month...