Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Screen wash

Views : 2580

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2020, 15:12   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Evelyn View Post
I'm still working my way through a 20L drum of BMW screen wash that I bought for my last car. I suspect that this is the same basic product as the Volvo as it's alcohol-based and specified for fan jets and the like. Never any issue when mixing it with the Volvo stuff and works well. Only got a few litres left now and they don't seem to do the 20L option any more, so going to have to look for an alternative bulk option soon.
Pour a teaspoon of the BMW stuff in a dish and set light to it and report back ..
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 15:16   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordiesteve View Post
Guys,

Can anyone recommend a good screenwash. My low level has came on, and I know I've read a lot of ppl saying you need to stick with Volvo screenwash, but I'd imagine that's just a revenue stream?

Can you let me know what your all using. My drives got winter pack so I assume heated blades.

Thanks
Yes Volvo , a one litre bottle should be enough and top up , It is spirit based and leaves no deposit whatsover , your heated jets will cause the salt to come out of suspension and crystalise in the jets if you use cheap stuff . ..

If you pour some into a tea spoon and set light to it , it will burn with a feint blue very hot flame . revenue stream? No that applies to the other stuff listed above , you get what you pay for .
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 16:09   #13
Miles of Smiles

I've always used the Halfords Berry one - Neat in winter and then I dilute for summer. But that was before I got the Volvo 3 weeks ago.

So is the consensus to use Volvo own with Heated Jets?
Options: Heated Front Screen, Dark Tinted Rear Windows, Tempa Spare Wheel, Retractable Towbar
Miles of Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 16:39   #14
mr rusty

Quote:
your heated jets
If it's a V90 it doesn't have heated jets, it has a heated pipe module which is located under the back offside cover at the back of the engine compartment. I know because I got my dealer to check I had it as my car is specced with winterpack and I couldn't see any wiring to the nozzles. It does take a while to heat and you def still need a strong screenwash strength
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 16:45   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles of Smiles View Post
I've always used the Halfords Berry one - Neat in winter and then I dilute for summer. But that was before I got the Volvo 3 weeks ago.

So is the consensus to use Volvo own with Heated Jets?
yes I've been using it for 40 years it leaves no deposits anywhere every element of it evaporates . It is good at getting through diesel deposits on the screen too . However don't forget to clean the blades often .
If the Halfords is flamable then it may be similar .
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 17:13   #16
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink

I'm currently using Holts concentrated screen wash bought via Amazon for £12.92 for 4 x 5 litres in August 2019 .....

Their current price is £24 for the same 20 litres
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NB no residues, no squeaking blades & no gunge in the system

Best current price for the Holts Concentrated is via Zoro @ £2.33 per 5Litres https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/automoti...a2013f0a180512
if you spend more than £20 and you get free delivery too!

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Feb 7th, 2020 at 17:19.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 18:23   #17
deeky6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverey View Post

The bloody reservoir is massive though: mine was completely empty, and reckon its just swallowed 6 litres before topping out!!!
Makes no difference on my S90. It's coming out underneath just as quickly as I'm pouring it in Hopefully it's just a pipe come adrift somewhere.
deeky6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 20:49   #18
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Buy Autoglym in 5l drums.

You can max dilute to 1:15 but optimum in 1:9. You need it stronger in winter.

It’s great stuff and given how much you can dilute it’s not expensive.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 13:23   #19
dghdgh

Best current price for the Holts Concentrated is via Zoro @ £2.33 per 5Litres https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/automoti...a2013f0a180512
if you spend more than £20 and you get free delivery too![/QUOTE]

If you use Zoro sign up for topcashback you get 4.2% cash back at the minute.

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/davehenry

Will get you a £5 M&S voucher on sign up, I will get a bonus in my account win win.
dghdgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 13:39   #20
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Other than Volvo service top ups I have never in over 45 years driving used Volvo screenwash and have never ever had any problems, I just avoid supermarket or weak diluted screenwash and buy one with at least minus 10°c freezing point. Usually try and find minus 20 undiluted.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote