Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 B5/T5 Petrol

Views : 1163

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 17:51   #1
mike95

Default XC60 B5/T5 Petrol

I am looking for some help and advice please.

Is there anyone here towing with a XC60 B5 or T5 petrol? it would be great to hear about how it performs especially in comparison to the diesels and average MPG, etc.

Just thinking about the possible next change and fancy a petrol one but somewhat nervous of the potential running costs compared to my current D4.

Thanks a lot. Any info much appreciated.

Mike
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 18:42   #2
Matt90

Hi Mike

From my experience of towing with both an XC60 B5 petrol and XC60 B4 diesel, there is about 10mpg difference over a similar journey.

With the B5 petrol I was getting around 17-19mpg and with the B4 diesel I get around 25-27mpg.

This is towing a 1500kg caravan.

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 20:04   #3
mike95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt90 View Post
Hi Mike

From my experience of towing with both an XC60 B5 petrol and XC60 B4 diesel, there is about 10mpg difference over a similar journey.

With the B5 petrol I was getting around 17-19mpg and with the B4 diesel I get around 25-27mpg.

This is towing a 1500kg caravan.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, Matt. That is really useful. I just need to assess whether I can afford the difference as we tow quite a lot of miles over the year.

Did you find the B5 just as relaxing as the B4? I have to say that ours is just effortless as was our D5 before?

Could you also put an average % increase in consumption for B5 for everyday use.

Thanks again. Mike
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 09:23   #4
mike95

Anyone else with experience of towing with a petrol XC60?

Thanks.

Mike
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 10:24   #5
Matt90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95 View Post
Thanks, Matt. That is really useful. I just need to assess whether I can afford the difference as we tow quite a lot of miles over the year.

Did you find the B5 just as relaxing as the B4? I have to say that ours is just effortless as was our D5 before?

Could you also put an average % increase in consumption for B5 for everyday use.

Thanks again. Mike
Hi Mike

With my experience of towing with B5 petrol, diesel and current B4 diesel my preference is the B5 diesel so have one of these coming in a couple of weeks to replace my current B4.

I run each car to about 7/8k over 3 to 4 months of use and the B5 petrol averaged 27mpg mixed driving and both B4 and B5 diesel are doing around 35-36mpg.

I would note though if you do a lot of journeys around town this significantly effects both engines. A town run of around 2-3 miles in the B5 petrol I could never get above the high teens...

Thanks.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 12:57   #6
mike95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt90 View Post
Hi Mike

With my experience of towing with B5 petrol, diesel and current B4 diesel my preference is the B5 diesel so have one of these coming in a couple of weeks to replace my current B4.

I run each car to about 7/8k over 3 to 4 months of use and the B5 petrol averaged 27mpg mixed driving and both B4 and B5 diesel are doing around 35-36mpg.

I would note though if you do a lot of journeys around town this significantly effects both engines. A town run of around 2-3 miles in the B5 petrol I could never get above the high teens...

Thanks.
Thanks again Matt. That's very useful. It seems sensible to stay with diesel for now, especially as long as we are towing the van lots of miles.

I was just wondering whether the higher fuel costs might be offset by a better residual in 3 or 4 years time. However, that's crystal ball stuff and the higher running costs are known.

Thanks again.

Mike
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 13:06   #7
James77

I'd stick to the diesel, I have a T5 and in normal driving conditions it's not great it's really mid 30s at a 70 cruise mid 20s about town.

On my return trip to the Alps last week at 80 mph most the way, heavy with bags in hte boot, 2 kids and skis/sbowboard on the roof I barely managed 30mpg and it was best 400 miles a tank.

I could imagine you'd end up getting mid teens towing something heavy with the petrol.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 11:40   #8
mike95

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
I'd stick to the diesel, I have a T5 and in normal driving conditions it's not great it's really mid 30s at a 70 cruise mid 20s about town.

On my return trip to the Alps last week at 80 mph most the way, heavy with bags in hte boot, 2 kids and skis/sbowboard on the roof I barely managed 30mpg and it was best 400 miles a tank.

I could imagine you'd end up getting mid teens towing something heavy with the petrol.
Thanks, James. Very useful.

I reckon that I would get even less than that towing as Matt has advised. I only get around 25 with my D4. I guess the B4 might give me a bit more.

I am not exactly hung up on the fuel costs but I have to be sensible and not run away with the petrol engine concept just for the sake of it.

So at this moment in time, thanks to all the info here, etc, I will more than likely stick to diesel one more time. In fact, as our car is still like new, I might bang a warranty on it and run it for another 3 years by which time we will probably give up caravaning.

Thanks.

Mike