Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Smartphone integration

Views : 3871

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 20:13   #1
wheelnut

Default Smartphone integration

My 2019 V90 R Design does not have smartphone integration and just has the one USB socket in the armrest. A few basic questions please as I would like to retrofit this.
What is the difference between Smartphone Integration and the Apple CarPlay option?
How much would the software upgrade to enable it cost to have done at the dealership when it is in for a service.
I know I can buy the double usb panel and control box for £35 and fit it myself.
2012 V70 Drive SE Lux, 2000 V70 SE2.4: 2000 V40 1.8SE: 1997 S70 2.0SE
Garage - Mercedes SLK & Honda CM400T
wheelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 10:26   #2
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

Smartphone int is both car play and android auto. Can be added by dealer for £300. I think the Carplay only option is the same price.
Check on the Volvo accessories site under the Tech heading to see what is specifically for your model and year.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 16:25   #3
Hogster

Worth noting I don't believe the Smartphone dealer fit option includes additional USB ports, so you'd need to purchase these separately anyway.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 21:14   #4
dchbrown

I had smartphone integration fitted after delivery for £350 and that included the software and the dual USB sockets. This gives you both android auto and apple carplay.

There was also an option for just apple carplay but that is software only and doesn't include the dual USB. Not sure of the price exactly but I think it was £250 ish.

I don't think a dealer would just do the software for smartphone integration if you managed to source the dual USB as a spare part though.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 10:28   #5
jodypress

I'll add my 2p worth here. I ordered both Apple and Android and tried them both out.
They are both pretty useless tbh. When using maps for example they only take half the display.
I find it much more useful just to have my phone connected via Bluetooth and use Googlemaps on the phone.

When I had my car serviced in Decemebr they mentioned that there would be a system update early 2020 (haven't heard anything yet) whereby they were updating the Volvo Sensus to Android so would have live Googlemaps (standard system isn't as good, but is in the dash and HUD)
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 11:28   #6
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodypress View Post
When I had my car serviced in Decemebr they mentioned that there would be a system update early 2020 (haven't heard anything yet) whereby they were updating the Volvo Sensus to Android so would have live Googlemaps (standard system isn't as good, but is in the dash and HUD)
Volvo have updated Sensus in the new electric version of the XC40 to a version based on Android and no doubt it will feature on new models.

However I think it's unlikely that we will see the Android version retro-fitted to existing models.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 12:32   #7
dchbrown

Quote:
I'll add my 2p worth here. I ordered both Apple and Android and tried them both out.
They are both pretty useless tbh. When using maps for example they only take half the display.
Good point, the portrait screen in the Volvo means that you only get half of it for the smartphone. It doesn't look great.

I use Waze via Android auto when I'm driving into central London for traffic but the rest of the time I use the cars own satnav as the route appears in the dash display.

I do use audible for audio books and that's not too bad via this method, you just switch back to the normal maps and leave it playing. This is better than just using Bluetooth becaus you can control it all through the main display and don't need to touch your phone at all.
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 10:14   #8
Cityboy

Default Apple CarPlay - How can this be improved?

This is an important thread and I found an interesting article which perfectly summarizes the challenges with the Apple CarPlay integration with my 2019 V60:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/battl...h-shawn-burns/

Question: Does anyone know if Volvo themselves gets feedback from drivers on how to improve the new touchscreen displays? This seems to be the norm for other car companies for the software aspects of the car, so how does it work with Volvo?
Cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 13:09   #9
jodypress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
This is an important thread and I found an interesting article which perfectly summarizes the challenges with the Apple CarPlay integration with my 2019 V60:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/battl...h-shawn-burns/

Question: Does anyone know if Volvo themselves gets feedback from drivers on how to improve the new touchscreen displays? This seems to be the norm for other car companies for the software aspects of the car, so how does it work with Volvo?
Great article and spot on with my experience with both Android and Carplay. I'll be calling my service manager soon as he did say I could get the Android update to Sensus, although I suspect that won't be out until the XC40 Recharge is launched later this year.
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 13:58   #10
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
I'll be calling my service manager soon as he did say I could get the Android update to Sensus, although I suspect that won't be out until the XC40 Recharge is launched later this year.
You may be disappointed; we know that the Android version of Sensus features in the electric XC40, however Volvo has said nothing about retro-fitting it to existing vehicles.

It would be a major change and major changes tend not to make it to vehicles that are mid-life. Personally I think it's highly unlikely.