Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

164 found!

Views : 2347

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2011, 18:07   #1
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Default 164 found!

You must all know by now that my former show Volvo 164 was stolen from my locked garage last week - if not, see my lament-thread below!

Well, the Police supplied a crime-number but weren’t able to look for evidence as to who might have jemmied all the garage doors open, and in two cases wrenching the door frames from the brickwork, exposing the cars inside. Therefore my son and I deduced my car was lifted away on a spectacle-lift (graunch-marks on the concrete) fitted to a single rear-wheel van like a Transit: tyre prints in the grass/mud don’t lie.

However, the breakthrough came when, after us finding details on an internet link, Nick Hughes of the Spedeworth Racing organisation phoned to say one of his contacts had seen a likely car in a farmyard at Smallfield near Gatwick Airport. We searched an area with lots of small farms, some now dealing with cars, but couldn’t find the right place until a grab-hire lorry driver in the village garage said he knew where it was, so led us there. The Police were persuaded to meet us there, and upon entering this supposed chicken farm found lots of limo’s and other big cars waiting to be converted for banger-racing. My car was half under a tarp, behind a large recovery lorry.

Whilst the Police took notes from the land-owner (who wasn’t the thief - he gave £80 to a middle-man for it), my son went back for our van plus car-carrying trailer, winched it on and took it back home. Damage: very light considering what they do when stripping for racing - we found my car just in time. The steering lock was smashed, one tyre was almost off its rim, the mirrors were broken and the bonnet is graunched as they’d dumped an XJ6 bonnet onto mine to “hide” it. These faults can be added to the list of work I have to do anyway, to get it back on the road, but at least I have my car back!

So again I offer my massive thanks to Nick for putting us onto the right tracks to retrieve my car, and to you all who offered support on here. Nick said his organisation sometimes has a bad name, so he does all he can to dispel that argument - well done Nick, and thanks again.

Moral of the story: don’t assume a locked garage in a quiet block is secure storage for your classic. Make sure your car has a tamper-proof alarm and if possible fit security lights or CCTV to illuminate your garage if the worst should happen. Now it seems the main looser is the widow who I rent from, as she now faces a bill of well over £3000 to get her blocks repaired. As a final note, I will not be renting a garage there again - once bitten twice shy.

Contented Paul re-united with his 164
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Audrey Old For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 18:25   #2
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

Great news, glad you've been re-united and the 164 hasn't been lost to the banger world.
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottishvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 18:26   #3
chelle_belle
and Craig!

Default 164

excellent you got it back, Great news.

855 R
855 T-5
chelle_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chelle_belle For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 18:32   #4
rusty244

Great news!!!

Do you know if the police will be taking this any further? Were any of the other cars there also stolen? There could be other owners anxious to be reunited with their cars.

If the culprit(s) can be identified it may be possible for the owner of your lockup to file a claim in the civil courts and recover the damages from these scumbags.
rusty244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty244 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 18:35   #5
john h
VOC Member

Smile

Brilliant news, well done!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 20:40   #6
laptoprob

Well done Sherlock!
laptoprob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to laptoprob For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 20:47   #7
capt jack
VOC Member

Fantastic news

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 21:45   #8
john h
VOC Member

Paul,

Do you need mirrors? I have a good used pair that you can have as freebie as a Christmas present for the car after it's near-death experience, and my small contribution to getting it fixed again!

These ones:

If they're the type you need, PM your address and I'll send them.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 22:02   #9
LankyTim
Missing the point

Great news to hear its back. I wonder if it would have been found if you hadn't gone out and looked for it?

Lets hope the police throw the book at the crims responsible, or atleast give them a good beating.

Will a steering lock from a 240 fit? If so I have one you can have.

Last edited by LankyTim; Dec 5th, 2011 at 22:06.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LankyTim For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 01:19   #10
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Outstanding detective work, sir! It's pretty scary, honestly. It begs the question how they knew it was there. It's also sad that there is a persistent criminal element related to the banger scene.

As for the culprits...I'll volunteer to fire the first shot...

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post: