Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any anti-theft ideas?

Views : 1810

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2014, 09:50   #11
arcturus
arcturus

Simple way. Remove the rotor arm. Old fashioned, tried and tested.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 10:25   #12
Leeds Lad
Leeds Lad

Wind the front seat forwards and chain it to the steering wheel that is put on full lock, can't get into the seat to drive it, can't drag it out backwards as it will hit the wall and they also have the chain to contend with.
If they get around that....they will get around anything! So anymore is superfluous.
Leeds Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 16:30   #13
guitarman

Frankly, there is little that can be done to stop a determined thief. Also your car will be more likely to receive serious damage- are you really going to want it back after that? Arguably a choke is a good defence against it being DRIVEN off.
I think the answer is insurance- get it insured correctly, a like for like or rebuild insurance may be available.
The only place I know of which is relatively secure has alarms, cameras and rising steel bollards, 'Yoofs' still attempt to get into that!
2012 VW Transporter T5 LWB
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 16:40   #14
guitarman

Btw- I've had one stolen; the police did nothing, the cameras at the 'secure' site where it was parked wern't on and the security guard had gone home (lol).
When it was found a few days later in an unsalubrious part of town I felt like crying when I saw what had been done to it; and I had to pay an unearthly sum for the police compound where it had been kept!
2012 VW Transporter T5 LWB
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 21:49   #15
Audrey Old
VOC Member

If your fear is banger-racers, rotor-arm removal won't matter a toss as they junk Volvo engines in favour of cradled-in V6 Ford lumps anyway.
As you know, one of mine was nicked when they truck-towed the up-and-over garage door away from the door-frame. They smashed their way in through the sun-roof, destroyed the steering wheel and lock and simply towed it away.
Fortunately found in a barn on a farm before they started smashing the bits not wanted off it, and its now safely back in another more secure store.
I like the concrete post idea best of all, but whatever you do it has to be man-enough to deter scum with trucks and possibly cranes - all the sort of equipment no self-respecting racer would be without.
As said, the Police aren't interested: look in the 240 section of Forums about the theft of a listers 240 near Biggin Hill, and the costs incurred in getting it back. The bottom line - if ANYTHING is wanted badly enough it will be got, so hide it well!

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 21:53   #16
bongodave
I've Been Banned

Has anyone suggested taking the wheels off and leaving on stands?
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 12:38   #17
woolfie1948

Thanks to all who responded - in particular to the tongue in cheek ones.
Rotor arm removal is impractical as can't get to that side of the car when garaged. I may however attempt to fit a VERY old immobiliser found in my garage that cuts the wire from ign switch to coil and resets itself every time ign is switched off. The instuctions say that if I buy a relay I can also use it to also cut the wire from ign switch to starter motor - it sounds easy but my electrical skills aren't great so would be back on here asking what wire I should buy to connect it etc!
I will look into the post idea but car only just fits into garage (length) so postioning would have to be very accurate to get in between car and the door, if there is sufficient space that is. Then there is securing it to the ground to deal with. If that is sorted I expect it could also be dragged out like Paul's door.
Chain around rear axle though no doubt effective but does not appeal as fitting it underneath the car every time I went out and back in would be a pain.
Putting steering on full lock and chain from seat to steering wheel sounds effective.
I hope though to get similar effect, quicker and easier, with a steering wheel lock, the type that locks on to steering wheel and the other end sits on top of the dash to stop it turning. Not expensive.
I could also put on the wheel clamp.
I think these are fairly easy precautions to install, not too much hassle to set on a regular basis, and a bit of a deterent.
Thanks again
Jonathan
woolfie1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 09:50   #18
Rover95

If you go for a steering wheel lock you will need one which covers the centre of the wheel otherwise they will just remove the wheel with the lock attached. There are a couple which fit over the wheel & completely cover the centre. One is called Disklok which is available in three sizes, the other is Autolok EXS but I'm not sure about sizes available. Don't buy one of the bar type locks such as Stoplock, apparently they are easy for thieves to remove whereas the Disklok is Thatcham approved & in tests has resisted attack for 15 minutes. I've had an Autolok on my everyday car for many years, never had a problem.
Rover95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 10:27   #19
volvorocks
Rodney

Smart Water

The very fact you have it installed makes thieves think twice.

Regards

Edit smart water....google it!!! Link not allowed as it contains a swear word..!!!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 13:09   #20
arcturus
arcturus

Block the exit with "volvorocks"