Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide: Replacing the boot wiring harness

Views : 41541

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2017, 22:32   #31

I have the same problem this morning my boo won't open had to climb in and open it the sam3 way l3ft 5he motor unit out with a bit of pull string to pull the catch manually to open ... does anyone know what pinouts activate the motor
10032050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 17:02   #32
dilbertov

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10032050 View Post
I have the same problem this morning my boo won't open had to climb in and open it the sam3 way l3ft 5he motor unit out with a bit of pull string to pull the catch manually to open ... does anyone know what pinouts activate the motor
See point 4 on my previous post, directly before yours.

Happy hunting!
dilbertov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 16:54   #33
ronaldobf

Hi guys.

I got the same problem and, in my case, there was no other way to open, but from inside. So, I highly recommend you, in case you have this as an intermittent issue, fix it before you are no longer able to open it. This will save you time and effort.

From inside, I've removed the hand grip and the carpet trims, but I was not able to remove the panel because of the latch. So, I folded it enough to expose the latch plug and not to cause any damage tot he panel.

Then, I got the 12v from the rear light. Before connecting, I used a power meter to make sure.

Here is a picture showing the latch plug indicating the pins to inject 12v and the ground. As soon as I injected 12v and grounded the second pin, it worked.
Notice that this image is from inside perspective:

Here is the cable after opening the trunk:

And here is the broken cable (It seems that this already happened in my car and someone installed a connector, which is now broken again).
You should get 12V from that wire:

I will solder the broken cable.
I think it's a bit short so I am going to add a new piece of cable to give more room when opening and closing the lid. Then, I will use a tape to protect it.

If I get the same issue in the future, I will by a new wiring.

As others have mentioned, before putting effort on opening it from inside, check the switch near to the registration plate (open button), from outside.

Cheers

Last edited by ronaldobf; May 30th, 2017 at 17:00.
ronaldobf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ronaldobf For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 11:20   #34
Metz

Default 2010 S40 trunk won't open/ license plate lights flashing

Hi all,

New here, so sorry if i am reviving an old problem. The trunk of my S40 (2010 model) won't open. Message on dashboard "Trunk is open" when I am driving. When I try to open it, pressing the plastic handle just above the number plate, it's stuck shut BUT license plate lights flashing intermitently.

Has anyone come across this and how they fixed it?

Thanks.
Metz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 10:25   #35
Stiv

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem, so I took the car to an electrician. Later that day I found this post. When I went to take the car, he told me that he couldn't fix the problem because the lock is stack and it won't open from inside either, even after he bridged some wires... He added that I should have my lock broken and buy another one to replace it.

Today, I tried to open the lock from inside but the button doesn't seem to work.

Any, ideas?
Stiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 16:25   #36
Kasia

Default Help

Hello,
I had problem with boot in my S40 2011 as well, Could you tell me if you have got upholstery in top of your boot, please?

Regards
Kasia
Kasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 18:51   #37
Neth66

Default Great tips

One thing I'd add -

Tie a string to the old harness as you're pulling it out, to help pull the new harness through some of the smaller holes.
Neth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2018, 12:22   #38
S40Fixer

Default Registered to say thanks

Hi, this guide was the perfect solution to my problem. Boot started to either not lock, or not unlock and throw out the dashboard errors.

Following this guide, especially knowing I needed a T25 bit for the removals made it a 45 minute breeze.

Part was a genuine Volvo new bought from EBay for £46

Thanks again!
S40Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 21:49   #39
S40Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasia View Post
Hello,
I had problem with boot in my S40 2011 as well, Could you tell me if you have got upholstery in top of your boot, please?

Regards
Kasia
Hi Kasia, yes the upholstery is standard on Euro cars. It is held in with about 10 little grey plastic plugs that you can remove with strong fingers or long nosed pliers gently to try and not break them.

You also need to remove the internal handle, which is a solid bit of moulded plastic. The latch that holds it in is at the top of the handle, so you need to push it down gently (firmly) to unclip it and then it will rotate out.

The plastic cover for the lock mechanism just wiggles off and then you need to guide the upholstery section off over the two rubber bumpers at the bottom.
S40Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 09:37   #40
GMR

Default s40 d5 2008

I have a similar problem ie boot lid open message on whilst boot firmly closed and boot will not open. However sometimes after very gently pushing the release switch above the number plate it boot pops open. Other methods that also work from time to time is to lock and unlock the car a number of times in quick succession. Also by pressing the boot release switch on the key fob five or six times and the boot will open only to refuse on the next try. I am not very mechanically blessed but have removed the rubber cover over the release switch and by pressing on the metal lever the switch can be heard to operate. Could it be this "micro switch" that is the problem and if so can it be replaced without replacing the complete panel also housing the number plate lights?
GMR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot lid, s40