Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

60 MPH Limit on Motorways

Views : 5284

Replies : 121

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2020, 15:32   #1
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Default 60 MPH Limit on Motorways

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/m...0air%20quality.

Will it work?

Back in 1965, the year that I learned to drive, long before many contributors to this forum were even born, the 70 MPH trial speed limit was made permanent. This was at a time when many cars (mine included) couldn't even reach 70, 80 was considered fast and three figure speeds supercar territory.

Safety standards were basic, front seat belts on new cars, but not the wearing thereof, were made compulsory that same year. Emission control was rudimentary in the extreme. Today, most family cars can do the 'ton' with ease and safety and emissions have both improved massively in the last 50 years.

Many now feel that 70 is perhaps too low, which does not reflect current practice. With motorways now generally moving nearer to 80, there has long been an expectation that the limit should be increased to that figure, but be more rigorously enforced. Denmark did this successfully, raising the existing, but widely ignored, 110 KPH limit on their motorways to 130.

Will people keep to 60, especially on a near empty motorway? Can it be effectively policed, enforced? Will it improve the environment? Or will it be largely ignored, perhaps becoming another cash-cow for the Government? Would wider use of variable speed limits be a better alternative to a blanket speed limit? And what about a minimum motorway speed limit?

Thoughts?

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Sep 12th, 2020 at 15:34.
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 16:06   #2
Whippy
Premier Member

Already happening on 'smart' motorways, places like Sheffield are almost permanently at 60 on the M1. When all cars are speed limited and taxed via your satnav the complete and utter **** up that is motoring today will seem like a blissful halcyon memory.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 17:02   #3
EssexExile
Master Member

I dare say it will be adhered to just like the 70 limit is adhered to . It's only short sections though so it's not the end of the world.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 17:15   #4
S60RDesign

I thought it must be a joke but shouldn’t be surprised after the last few months. 70 is already far too slow for modern cars.
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60RDesign For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 17:30   #5
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Thanks, 'Whippy' and 'E.E.'.

That crossed my mind, too, 'Whippy', another small step towards the driverless car?

Good point, 'E.E.'; the difference in time to travel 4.5 miles at 60 as opposed to 70 is less than a minute, so no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

But ... it is a trial, which, if deemed successful, could well be made permanent and / or extended, couldn't it?

Regards, John.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 17:34   #6
Harvey1512
Premier Member

It is coming into place in specific stretches where pollution levels are high. It isn't about stopping accidents or speeding.

It will run for a year, pollution levels will be monitored.

Easy to manage with average speed cameras. Feel free to ignore the limits, kerching.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 17:51   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

It's been mooted a number of times before - mostly on the M1 and M62. Some parts of those motorways your lucky to get over 50 these days in daylight.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 18:52   #8
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
It's been mooted a number of times before - mostly on the M1 and M62. Some parts of those motorways your lucky to get over 50 these days in daylight.
I've actually and surprisingly found that the M1 from 24 - 29 is actually much better with most people desperately trying to avoid being caught by the cameras.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 20:53   #9
StanC
'Mature' Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
It is coming into place in specific stretches where pollution levels are high. It isn't about stopping accidents or speeding.

It will run for a year, pollution levels will be monitored.

Easy to manage with average speed cameras. Feel free to ignore the limits, kerching.
Harvey's thread nails it. I passed my test in 1964 and, like John, I do remember the introduction of the 70mph limit. I also seem to remember a time when there were fuel shortages, when the national limit was set at 50mph for a period to help reduce overall fuel consumption. Can anyone remind me when that was?

Reducing the speed of traffic certainly cuts the fuel consumption of vehicles, with corresponding reductions in overall emissions, so I can see the logic in what is proposed. It won't be popular with some, though.

Stan.
StanC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StanC For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 21:22   #10
Dippydog
Premier Member

There have been several fuel "crises" the last I think was '74 or 5 when it was mooted that fuel rationing was a possibility-I still have the [unused as the rationing never took place]ration book issued for the MkIII Zephyr I owned at the time.I'd have thought pollution levels more a by product of traffic volume rather than speed?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post: