Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bulb failure dipped beam -D1S XENON

Views : 789

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2019, 17:57   #1
toniln74

Default Bulb failure dipped beam -D1S XENON

Hi guys,
I have an issue with PHILIPS D1S XENON on my Volvo XC90 D5 185hp 2008. Here it is: Over the last few days my LHS bulb keeps going out, sometimes after 5, 10 or 15 minutes and a short flickering and there is a message ‘’bulb failure dipped beam’’. When I switch it off and on again it’s fine for about 5-15 minutes and again it goes out. But sometimes it keeps working without failure throughout the whole journey, roughly 1 hour. I have to point out that when I initially turn on the lights they are always on.
If it’s got anything to do with the bulb it might fail at first or after every restart so I lean towards something else e.g.loose connection when it gets hot or so…
Is there any weak spot that is a common issue with these headlights?
Could it be a faulty bulb, ballast or anything else? I will try swapping the bulbs first and see if there is no change next I’ll swap the ballasts. I was also told not to use any electrical spray in order to clean the contacts since there is a high voltage and it can lead to bigger damage. Does that make any sense? Any suggestions to track down the reason behind this weird situation? And one more question-shall I stick to original D1S bulbs like OSRAM, PHILIPS, HELLA etc. or I can buy cheaper ones but they can damage the ballast as well ,that’s what I was told.
Thank you in advance.
toniln74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 18:14   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

How many miles/km on your 2008 XC90?

Xenons fail, very roughly, at around 10 years of age.
It is age in in operating hours that you need to check.
So take your mileage, divide by average speed, and you get operating hours.
For my XC90, the average speed is about 50kmph, and my D1S lamps failed at just on 10 years / 120000km, which is 2400 operating hours (120000 / 50 = 2400)

Osram quote the following lifespan:
Lifespaan B3 is 2000 h
Lifespan Tc is 3000 h

For lamps, the manufacturers give two numbers: B3 and Tc.
B3 indicates the minimum number of hours 97 percent of the lamps (i.e. virtually all) last. After this time elapses, the frequency of failure starts to increase. By the time the Tc value is reached, 63 percent of the lamps likely have failed.

So if you have exceeded 3000 h, then it is a safe assumption that the lamp is about to fail.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 09:55   #3
MarcX

Default Dipped beam failure

Did you ever get to the bottom of tgis. If bulbs fail surely they just go out.
Is the flickering to do with the ballasts?
MarcX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 11:08   #4
Moose Test
Master Member

There's always the possibility of a faulty/failing ballast but in my recent experience (I've had bulbs on both sides fail over the past two years of ownership but my car is 12 years old), flickering preceded bulb failure and was completely rectified by replacement.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 14:02   #5
gmonag
Premier Member

Xenons work by generating an arc, which gives off the light. As they begin to fail the arc becomes unstable, causing flicker.
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 21:39   #6
jora1981

I had similar issues last month, replaced both bulbs and all seems good so far.
jora1981 is offline   Reply With Quote