Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Diesel Not starting

Views : 794

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2019, 20:42   #11
BenVol

Fantastic, much appreciated 🙂
BenVol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BenVol For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 20:46   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Simple check to see if the glow plugs are getting a feed, connect your voltmeter +ve probe to the bus bar on the glow plugs and -ve lead to a good earth and switch the ignition on. It should read battery voltage for a few seconds. That will test the relay and its contacts because the existing glow plugs should give it some load, even if they're weak.

When you renewed the fuel filter, did you fill it full of fresh diesel before fitting it? If not, the IP (injection pump) won't be getting any fuel as there isn't a lift pump on these, so i've been told.

Also a common problem on Bosch VE pumps is the engine cut solenoid. They fail usually in the open position meaning you have to stall the engine after switching the ignition off.
However they have been known to stick in the shut position, especially if they haven't been used for a while. Worth checking. I believe later models had a different fly-by-wire set-up and the stop solenoid wasn't so unreliable. Single wire to it on the side of the pump. If you remove the connector and run a wire from battery +ve to the terminal, you should hear the solenoid click if it's working, if not undo it with a spanner (19mm rings a bell but might be wrong), remove it and check the plunger is free to move in and out. If not, clean it with some carb cleaner until it does. Refit and test after making sure you've got fuel in the pump.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 21:10   #13
BenVol

Thank you so much, a lot of things to get on with checking , great to get some help with people familiar with these wagons 🙂
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BenVol For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 16:09   #14
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenVol View Post
Hi everyone, new to site and it looks to be a wealth of info and enthusiasm. I have just bought a 95 940 Diesel. New diesel in, new fuel filter and battery....turning over freely. It was starting a year ago as I know previous owner. I know these oil burners need their heater plugs....so these may be faulty. I have 6 ordered from ebay but until they arrive would most people agree this is the next thing to do? I can hear the click of the relay...so I'm assuming this means it is working. I have no engine manual....where is the heater plug relay....and has anyone any other suggestions? 🙂 thanks guys
How confident are you that fuel is getting to the engine? I had a diesel which wouldn't self prime and needed a priming bulb to circulate the fuel before it'd run.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 16:33   #15
oman5

These are self bleeding, if you filled the filter with fresh diesel it should fire right up. If you didn’t, it will take a LOT of cranking to refill it and prime the system, and probably flatten the battery before it starts. They also won’t start without working glow plugs, ever. The fobs ARE for remote locking and for the immobiliser, but as long as the immobiliser wasn’t set in the first place (as seems likely if the fobs don’t have batteries) it should start ok
oman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oman5 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 17:58   #16
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

lets get them glow plugs checked A.S.A.P. when you get to number 5 and 6 plugs
i get a thick piece of carpet over the engine to sit on be careful though remove the intercooler pipe and EGR bits on top of engine at back .
i do not have to remove any of the diesel supply pipes but did remove the rubber leak off pipes . i woud replace all the glow plugs personally . i use a cranked ring spanner with thee small notches not the box type . the job is quite slow for me . being a carpenter . there is very little turn on the buzz bar nuts and the glow plugs ive replaced mine im sure 4 times in 20 years! so im proof it can be done . be careful not to drop or get any debris into the glow plug holes! so old plug out and new plug in! i was told to put a small amount of copper ease on the new threads as they will come out easy next time
hopefully your old plugs will come out easy too
these comments are only my experience only !
if you need further help please email me at jimliddy1@gmail.com i will be happy to help all i can .
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 19:58   #17
BenVol

Thanks guys, heater plugs just arrives... will try and fit them fitted this week and hopefully it will fire up!!
The Following User Says Thank You to BenVol For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 14:13   #18
05XC90

Get the finger out lad and get it fired up so you can start driving a real car
05XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 05XC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 18:23   #19
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenVol View Post
....turning over freely.....and is getting fuel.
So it's not firing up at all, just belching out lots of white smoke then....?
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 20:00   #20
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman5 View Post
These are self bleeding, if you filled the filter with fresh diesel it should fire right up. If you didn’t, it will take a LOT of cranking to refill it and prime the system, and probably flatten the battery before it starts.
They're meant to be, but as mentioned I've had one which didn't self prime. Presumably the pump was a little tired...
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post: