Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Radio wiring

Views : 2520

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2019, 14:35   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That would explain the Sound of Silence!

You'll find 5.25"/13cm speakers are a direct fit but you may need speaker rings to mount them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-740...5/290388292676

You'll notice two sets of holes, one set for the pegs in the speaker cover, the other 4 are for the speaker itself and those are different to the OE speaker lugs.

Also when you fit the speakers, you'll need to re-route that wiring that is currently through the speaker hole. That needs to be disconnected at the black plug, drop the loose end back through the speaker hole and bring it up through the lower hole, currently covered by the grey polythene. Similarly, you'll have to drop the speaker wires down from where they're held in place by the mastick so they drop down then bring them back up through the speaker hole - make sure both sets of wiring are tucked in tight to the door inner skin so they don't get caught in the window mech.

The amp will be either 20W or 25W RMS per channel, can't remember which so not particularly powerful by todays standards where most head units are 45-50W RMS per channel.
Don't get bamboozled by the "PMPO" figures on speakers - they mean nothing!

If they are the only figures quoted by the speaker manufacturer, divide by 4 to get the approximate RMS power handling figure.

When you get the speakers, consider that you might upgrade the head unit at some point so go for a higher handling figure than you think you'll need for now.

PS - might be worth checking the rear doors to see if they have speakers too!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 14:40   #22
bob12
bob12

Sorry but, that made me laugh ... no speakers on the front doors! Must have been a very basic model of the 1990 940. At that rate I guess it doesn't have rear door speakers either ... just the wiring? Has it got an amp fitted? Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 14:58   #23
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
When you get the speakers, consider that you might upgrade the head unit at some point so go for a higher handling figure than you think you'll need for now.

PS - might be worth checking the rear doors to see if they have speakers too!
Why would I need to upgrade it, I have bluetooth thanks to Chinese technology!

I did see Halfords do a mini amp which I was tempted by but it seems to have an odd connector and I'm not keen to rewire it so ill stick with the original one haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Sorry but, that made me laugh ... no speakers on the front doors! Must have been a very basic model of the 1990 940. At that rate I guess it doesn't have rear door speakers either ... just the wiring? Has it got an amp fitted? Bob
It's a GLE which I thought was a fairly good spec! has a sunroof and heated seats, full elec windows, I would have thought the budget could stretch to from t speakers!!

There are definitely ones in the back, they're the only ones apart from the dash.

One dash speaker works but the other doesn't, tested with another speaker and that worked so the speaker must be dead.

I tested the other door speaker and that has no power too it either! Why would they not be getting any power too the front speakers? tested them with speakers and a multi meter but theres nothing!?
ANDTWENTY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ANDTWENTY For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 15:03   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
It's a 940 GLE Bob so arguably top of the range!

I wonder if the original owner opted for dash-mount full range speakers instead of the four door mounts?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 16:34   #25
bob12
bob12

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's a 940 GLE Bob so arguably top of the range!

I wonder if the original owner opted for dash-mount full range speakers instead of the four door mounts?
It's mind boggling when you consider that every model (7) in the 740 Series range of 1990 came as standard with amp and speakers all round and, 4 out of the 7 with an electric aerial! Bob )
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 16:48   #26
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDTWENTY View Post

It's a GLE which I thought was a fairly good spec! has a sunroof and heated seats, full elec windows, I would have thought the budget could stretch to from t speakers!!

There are definitely ones in the back, they're the only ones apart from the dash.

One dash speaker works but the other doesn't, tested with another speaker and that worked so the speaker must be dead.

I tested the other door speaker and that has no power too it either! Why would they not be getting any power too the front speakers? tested them with speakers and a multi meter but theres nothing!?
The only thing I can add to this and not having followed through every post in detail is that the first picture you put up shows spliced wiring on the back of a headset connected to a multiplug that I assume connects to car the wring loom.

If that is the only connection you are using I would point out that the speaker output on the head unit does not connect to the amp via the cars wiring loom. There is a separate feed to the amp via din plugs. It is only when the headset output has been amplified does it go to the door speakers via the cars wiring loom.

That's all I can really add from afar.

Bob
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 17:25   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
It's mind boggling when you consider that every model (7) in the 740 Series range of 1990 came as standard with amp and speakers all round and, 4 out of the 7 with an electric aerial! Bob )
Very true Bob, i've had 4 7xx models, all auto and all GLE spec, first three were 740s, this one is the 760, very first 740GLE was 87/E and that had an aftermarket electric aerial, presumably to replace a failed OE jobby, the rest have been 1988/F reg with full auto aerial going up with radio on and descending on radio off.

All had 4 speakers although something in the back of my mind said the E reg had dash speakers in the front and door speakers in the rear.

Seems unthinkable the 940 should have dropped the spec although i've seen that with other manufacturers when they update/replace models.

For example, on my other beast, when that became the Mk2, they dropped the fuel/trip computer, rear cig lighter and a couple of other bits from the range, when the range was replaced by a so-called more modern car, they lost the "Lazy Locking" and "See Me Home" headlight facilities plus several other things.

So much for progress!

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Dec 13th, 2019 at 17:27. Reason: Speeling mastikes
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 18:33   #28
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
The only thing I can add to this and not having followed through every post in detail is that the first picture you put up shows spliced wiring on the back of a headset connected to a multiplug that I assume connects to car the wring loom.

If that is the only connection you are using I would point out that the speaker output on the head unit does not connect to the amp via the cars wiring loom. There is a separate feed to the amp via din plugs. It is only when the headset output has been amplified does it go to the door speakers via the cars wiring loom.

That's all I can really add from afar.

Bob
That will be my handywork. I made up a connector to go from the original head unit cr708 to the slightly newer cr906 head unit. I am still using the original DINs out to amp for speakers though. The wiring is just for power, arial and dimmer etc. the front tweeters are part of this loom but they work.
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 20:19   #29
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDTWENTY View Post
That will be my handywork. I made up a connector to go from the original head unit cr708 to the slightly newer cr906 head unit. I am still using the original DINs out to amp for speakers though. The wiring is just for power, arial and dimmer etc. the front tweeters are part of this loom but they work.
Precisely as I said somewhere above.

If you are using the original dins from the head unit to the amp without modification and they are OK, may I suggest 1) that the output to the amp from the head unit is duff.

If not that and, all the actual wiring from the amp output on the amp loom multiplug to the rear door speakers is OK, 2) it has to be an amp problem.

After satisfying yourself to the basic continuity of the wiring for starters, I would fit speakers to the front doors (whatever you finally fit you will need them!!). You have everything else there including, amazingly, the plastic speaker splash protectors/s!

Bob
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 06:01   #30
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Precisely as I said somewhere above.

If you are using the original dins from the head unit to the amp without modification and they are OK, may I suggest 1) that the output to the amp from the head unit is duff.

If not that and, all the actual wiring from the amp output on the amp loom multiplug to the rear door speakers is OK, 2) it has to be an amp problem.

After satisfying yourself to the basic continuity of the wiring for starters, I would fit speakers to the front doors (whatever you finally fit you will need them!!). You have everything else there including, amazingly, the plastic speaker splash protectors/s!

Bob
The back speakers work fine and there's continuity to the front so happy the wiring from the amp is good, also happy the dins connector is okay as it's working for the back ones. I'm gonna try with my original radio to see if it has any power which should point to the amp or the head unit.