Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 598843

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2020, 11:50   #2351
Styl3r

Hi guys, i was under the impression that if a vehicle, regardless of manufacture, if the vehicle was recalled because of faulty products installed in that vehicle, like the manifold fire issue on Volvo, BMW and the like that the manufacturer was responsible for the repair/replacement of the faulty parts.
I would contact Volvo UK and ask to ask for their complaints procedure. You will more than likely be transferred to somebody higher up who can give advise. If you look on the .gov recall site;
https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall
it states "You need to get your car fixed or replaced by the manufacturer if there’s a problem. You will not usually have to pay for any repairs or parts."
The EGR problem is a fire risk as soot could build up and catch fire, so surely they have an obligation to rectify any known safety faults.
Ask yourself if you would have known, before purchasing the vehicle, that it had serious problem with this engine (VEA), would it have swayed your view on the purchase. I know i regret my purchase, just the thought of any ongoing issues that could be affected by the known issues, leaves me with woe.
Hope you achieve the right outcome, all the best. But keep pushing them.
At the time of my purchase it was the xc60 or range rover. Whilst i know the range rovers have issues but it was the adblue system not the self destruct EGR cooler.

Styl3r

Last edited by Styl3r; Feb 4th, 2020 at 11:53.
Styl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 12:50   #2352
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

The EGR issue is the root cause of the inlet manifold distortion/ bursting into flames failure. Volvo are continuing to deny any connection in spite of evidence to the contrary.
I also regret the decision to buy an XC60.
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 15:28   #2353
Styl3r

I believe Volvo, BMW or which ever manufacturer, that have these potentially life threatening egr coolers, manifolds installed in their vehicles, whether the vehicle has already had issues or not. These companies should be bending over backwards to rectify these issues, at their costs.
Especially a company like Volvo whose ethos is supposed to be on safety.

I think if anyone walked into a dealership to buy a vehicle and was advised by the salesman that by the way this vehicle could possibly catch fire and kill you.
Who in their right mind would purchase that vehicle.

Styl3r
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 15:38   #2354
Zebster
Upstanding Member

It's not the EGR cooler causing this problem, it's the inability of the EGR and intake systems as a whole to manage the high EGR flow required to meet the Euro 6 NOx target. Later versions of the VEA use Adblue as a NOx reduction feature and hence have far lower EGR flows.

It is appalling how Volvo are dealing with this well-established problem.
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 15:55   #2355
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
It's not the EGR cooler causing this problem, it's the inability of the EGR and intake systems as a whole to manage the high EGR flow required to meet the Euro 6 NOx target. Later versions of the VEA use Adblue as a NOx reduction feature and hence have far lower EGR flows.

It is appalling how Volvo are dealing with this well-established problem.
I agree, although have had none of the issues (to date) that others have had.
I migrated from BMW because of the multitude of issues and very arrogant customer services. No particular make inspires confidence these days. Pity Landrover is riddled with reliability issues across their range, as they would be my natural go to brand.

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 19:30   #2356
Raja2b

Default ECM update, new inlet manifold, new inlet valves....

ECM update, new inlet manifold as there was a fault code for manifold blockage but I didn't see any lights in dashboard, new inlet valves, exhaust valves cleaned. All free of charge. Temperature sensors, sealant cover cost me just over £100. New Catalytic converter as there was a leak, had to pay 40 percent of cost. Paying a total of £630 Inc VAT. So noticed a smoother engine sound and performance. However I have lost power on torque. Noticeable even by my wife and kids weren't screaming when I sometimes put the foot down. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. No mention of egr valve having issues or being changed. I am the second owner of the car. Only took it in for the recall notice that I had received for ECM update. Thought I would share my experience. If anyone wants me to recommend which London dealership to take it to email me on raja@raja2b.co.uk. also would like to thank everyone who has ever posted on this thread. Finally I don't know why but the dealer is very reluctant to issue invoice or any paper works for works carried out. Final note to add please note these dealers are franchise of Volvo they will maximise the claim from Volvo so long as you stick your ground. Hope that helps.
Raja2b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raja2b For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 22:11   #2357
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja2b View Post
ECM update, new inlet manifold as there was a fault code for manifold blockage but I didn't see any lights in dashboard, new inlet valves, exhaust valves cleaned. All free of charge. Temperature sensors, sealant cover cost me just over £100. New Catalytic converter as there was a leak, had to pay 40 percent of cost. Paying a total of £630 Inc VAT. So noticed a smoother engine sound and performance. However I have lost power on torque. Noticeable even by my wife and kids weren't screaming when I sometimes put the foot down. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. No mention of egr valve having issues or being changed. I am the second owner of the car. Only took it in for the recall notice that I had received for ECM update. Thought I would share my experience. If anyone wants me to recommend which London dealership to take it to email me on raja@raja2b.co.uk. also would like to thank everyone who has ever posted on this thread. Finally I don't know why but the dealer is very reluctant to issue invoice or any paper works for works carried out. Final note to add please note these dealers are franchise of Volvo they will maximise the claim from Volvo so long as you stick your ground. Hope that helps.
What year is your car and how many miles has it done?
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 08:50   #2358
Styl3r

ECM update
Have been driving my D4 now for a few weeks after latest update. I can confirm that MPG is up from 26-30 mpg, same type of driving (city).
Both radiator fans do not seem to come on now during normal running temp.
stuttering at low revs, traffic stop/start is virtually gone, but have noticed slight lack of power, not as nippy off the light, not that it is a sports car. But still a noticeable difference than before the last 2 updates.
Overall happier with the car but haven't done any motorway driving or towing.
After the egr replacement when towing in manual or sport mode, if pulling away on hill boost would not stop through first 5 gears, revs would stay really high through all gears. Will need to test this when i start my caravan season off.
Thanks to all contributors for this thread it has been such a help in solving some issues with this (self destruct) engine.

Note: did anyone else find both radiator fans on during normal running temp after egr replacement?

Thanks to all

Styl3r
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 09:55   #2359
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styl3r View Post
ECM update
Have been driving my D4 now for a few weeks after latest update. I can confirm that MPG is up from 26-30 mpg, same type of driving (city).
Both radiator fans do not seem to come on now during normal running temp.
stuttering at low revs, traffic stop/start is virtually gone, but have noticed slight lack of power, not as nippy off the light, not that it is a sports car. But still a noticeable difference than before the last 2 updates.
Overall happier with the car but haven't done any motorway driving or towing.
After the egr replacement when towing in manual or sport mode, if pulling away on hill boost would not stop through first 5 gears, revs would stay really high through all gears. Will need to test this when i start my caravan season off.
Thanks to all contributors for this thread it has been such a help in solving some issues with this (self destruct) engine.

Note: did anyone else find both radiator fans on during normal running temp after egr replacement?
Not sure whether you're referring to EGR valve or EGR cooler replacement, but I've had both replaced! At no time have I noticed the rad fans running abnormally, either before or after replacement. Nor have I ever seen mpg as low as you're reporting on my car. I can only imagine that your EGR valve was sometimes failing to completely close on demand, which would seriously affect running... mine stuck fully open which rendered it absolutely undriveable. The cooler blocking would not affect running, in fact it's a popular tuning mod to (illegally) blank off EGR flow and modify the ECM software to inhibit the subsequent warning messages and alarms.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 19:39   #2360
Raja2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
What year is your car and how many miles has it done?
My car is a V40 2015 d4 almost 80k miles..... Few days ago I had random dashboard lights come on. Lost steering, rev dial...basically computer crashed where hazard light would not come on. Couldn't turn the vehicle off. Thankfully there was traffic. Took it to same dealer. Was told common problem on some v40 cars and was unrelated to recalls or the work that was carried out. Apparently some relays or pins needed replacing 8 of them to be precise. Was quoted £200 for the job. So will be booking it in. Wonder what else will go wrong after.
Raja2b is offline   Reply With Quote