Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2027014

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2020, 09:07   #141
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I'd say your headlamps are what's shown on the cover of the handbook Alan, i don't ever recall seeing any UK 240 models with those headlamps but that doesn't necessarily mean Volvo didn't fit them for a short time. The other thing is both those cars are LHD and as i previously suggested, it's possible other markets got those headlamps as standard and perhaps they were an option on UK models.

Knowing how Volvo often fitted what came to hand depending on the alignment of the stars and the results of a sacrificial moose, it could be they were fitted as standard.

If you refer further up the thread to Lokis blue 244 on a V reg, that had the square headlights i'm much more familiar with on a 240 of that vintage.
Thank you Dave, I'm really pleased you agree they are the headlamps in the photo on the Royal Barge. I'm glad they are the originals, maybe Volvo just fitted them for one MY? As I said earlier in this thread they are not (IMHO) a very clever design in that the only way of removing them is by unwinding the adjusters all the way (and hence losing the alignment) - also they have no horizontal alignment adjustment. Maybe Volvo realised they were not so clever and changed the supplier for 1981?

Best wishes,

Alan
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 09:19   #142
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thank you Dave, I'm really pleased you agree they are the headlamps in the photo on the Royal Barge. I'm glad they are the originals, maybe Volvo just fitted them for one MY? As I said earlier in this thread they are not (IMHO) a very clever design in that the only way of removing them is by unwinding the adjusters all the way (and hence losing the alignment) - also they have no horizontal alignment adjustment. Maybe Volvo realised they were not so clever and changed the supplier for 1981?

Best wishes,

Alan
There might be an easy way (not immediately obvious) of releasing the headlamp without distrubing the alignment Alan, likewise there might be a hidden adjuster for the horizontal adjustment as it would have been a requirement of the MoT to have that adjustment. Look for a "D" shaped cut-out in the bezel to see if there's a horizontal adjuster somewhere.

Possibly done for one MY only or maybe only part of it or perhaps just an option instead of the older round headlamps or newer square headlamps.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 12:21   #143
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Just to put my tuppence-worth in on the headlmps question: back when I was a Scottish resident there was a local-to-me "W"-plate 244GLT in maroon that had the large rectangular headlamps. It boasted a steel sun-roof and a B23E engine with a 4+O/D box. I suspect that Erik in the parts store at Gothenburg doled out whatever came to hand for the UK market - North America was very strict on what could and could not be fitted and the continentals tended to be uptight about specs as well, whereas we took whatever was going...

On a separate note; if you're doing regular oil changes it's worth getting a second sump-plug for the Royal Barge (I do like the name) so you can retrieve the original from the catch tank at leisure, but beware: some aftermarket sump-plugs are 26mm diameter. I know because the one I've got is!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 13:48   #144
Othen
Premier Member

Default Accessory lamps

The Triumph (bike) was sorted out for tomorrow's MoT in half an hour (I keep it pretty well maintained, but I always allow myself a day just in case), so I thought I'd tick another job off for the Royal Barge: the driving and fog lamps.

Regular readers will remember that all 4 lamps were operated by a horrible switch stuck onto the dashboard. I started there and found an always live feed, which worried me a bit:

I traced the live back towards the battery and found it connected to what I suspect was some sort of power supply for a ICE system (long since removed):

So, the switch was connected directly to the battery. I traced the other wire from the switch and found it was connected directly to the first driving lamp, from where the other driving lamp and two fog lights were connected in parallel - so 210W or 17.5A running through a series switch inside the cabin without a relay in sight. It is fortunate that a PO had not set fire to the car. I got rid of the switch and nearly all the wiring, just leaving the permanent live for the radio (I know that doesn't need to come direct from the battery, but it is safe and I'll tidy that bit up another day):

I removed yards of wire, ducting, lots of chocky blocks and tape - as well as the two fog lamps:

All the lamps were connected to a single (puny) earth lead (which may have been the one thing preventing a fire by restricting the current):

I've just left the two driving lamps, which I will wire to the main beam harness on each side of the car (but that is a job for another day - it has started raining and Dan and I have to take Bob to the vet for a check-up this afternoon). I think the Royal Barge looks a lot better without the fog lamps, and also without the wing mirrors:

Well, a good two hours work - at least the car electrics are safe now, and I know how the car was wired (wrongly). I'll probably get the driving lamps wired up tomorrow after the Triumph's MoT; I'm not sure about the fog lamps, I can't think of many times I've ever actually needed them in a car and I'm not sure there is really room for them.

... another unexpected consequence of something I've done to the car (I'm not sure which job it was) is that the left side headlamp wiper has fixed itself - I just need to adjust its park position now.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Feb 19th, 2020 at 13:51.
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 13:56   #145
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Just to put my tuppence-worth in on the headlmps question: back when I was a Scottish resident there was a local-to-me "W"-plate 244GLT in maroon that had the large rectangular headlamps. It boasted a steel sun-roof and a B23E engine with a 4+O/D box. I suspect that Erik in the parts store at Gothenburg doled out whatever came to hand for the UK market - North America was very strict on what could and could not be fitted and the continentals tended to be uptight about specs as well, whereas we took whatever was going...

On a separate note; if you're doing regular oil changes it's worth getting a second sump-plug for the Royal Barge (I do like the name) so you can retrieve the original from the catch tank at leisure, but beware: some aftermarket sump-plugs are 26mm diameter. I know because the one I've got is!
I see your point about the sump plug, the oil certainly comes out a bit quickly (it caught me unawares as it exceeded the rate at which the catch can would drain).

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Feb 19th, 2020 at 13:59. Reason: Grammar
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 15:57   #146
Othen
Premier Member

Default Bob

The really good news is that the vet is very happy with Bob's progress. the sepsis has gone, as has 90% of the swelling on his foot. He can start going for walks again.
:-)

Last edited by Othen; Feb 19th, 2020 at 15:57. Reason: spelling
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 16:49   #147
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The Triumph (bike) was sorted out for tomorrow's MoT in half an hour (I keep it pretty well maintained, but I always allow myself a day just in case), so I thought I'd tick another job off for the Royal Barge: the driving and fog lamps.

Regular readers will remember that all 4 lamps were operated by a horrible switch stuck onto the dashboard. I started there and found an always live feed, which worried me a bit:

I traced the live back towards the battery and found it connected to what I suspect was some sort of power supply for a ICE system (long since removed):

So, the switch was connected directly to the battery. I traced the other wire from the switch and found it was connected directly to the first driving lamp, from where the other driving lamp and two fog lights were connected in parallel - so 210W or 17.5A running through a series switch inside the cabin without a relay in sight. It is fortunate that a PO had not set fire to the car. I got rid of the switch and nearly all the wiring, just leaving the permanent live for the radio (I know that doesn't need to come direct from the battery, but it is safe and I'll tidy that bit up another day):

I removed yards of wire, ducting, lots of chocky blocks and tape - as well as the two fog lamps:

All the lamps were connected to a single (puny) earth lead (which may have been the one thing preventing a fire by restricting the current):

I've just left the two driving lamps, which I will wire to the main beam harness on each side of the car (but that is a job for another day - it has started raining and Dan and I have to take Bob to the vet for a check-up this afternoon). I think the Royal Barge looks a lot better without the fog lamps, and also without the wing mirrors:

Well, a good two hours work - at least the car electrics are safe now, and I know how the car was wired (wrongly). I'll probably get the driving lamps wired up tomorrow after the Triumph's MoT; I'm not sure about the fog lamps, I can't think of many times I've ever actually needed them in a car and I'm not sure there is really room for them.

... another unexpected consequence of something I've done to the car (I'm not sure which job it was) is that the left side headlamp wiper has fixed itself - I just need to adjust its park position now.

Alan
Wouldn't be surprised if the extra lights were earthing through the L/H headlight wiper motor Alan!

If you move the driving lamps above the bumper it'll make the wiring easier and i don't know about you but i've seen some nasty fogs round Corby (long time ago though) and like many things in life, it's better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them!

I'd reposition the fog lights so the centre of them is in line with the centre of the headlights but under the bumper, if you were to put them where the driving lights currently are, they'd be under 600mm apart so would be illegal - strangely this doesn't apply to driving lights!

Great news about Bob! Need to take my pooch soon, she missed the weekend walkies thanks to Dennis the Menace and missed yesterday thanks to me twisitng my back and barely being able to move!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 17:04   #148
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Wouldn't be surprised if the extra lights were earthing through the L/H headlight wiper motor Alan!

If you move the driving lamps above the bumper it'll make the wiring easier and i don't know about you but i've seen some nasty fogs round Corby (long time ago though) and like many things in life, it's better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them!

I'd reposition the fog lights so the centre of them is in line with the centre of the headlights but under the bumper, if you were to put them where the driving lights currently are, they'd be under 600mm apart so would be illegal - strangely this doesn't apply to driving lights!

Great news about Bob! Need to take my pooch soon, she missed the weekend walkies thanks to Dennis the Menace and missed yesterday thanks to me twisitng my back and barely being able to move!
I hope your back is recovered Dave.

I see your point about the driving lamps - putting them above the bumper is a possibility I had not considered. Also it would give a bit of room for the fog lamps underneath. They would have to come in a bit to make room for putting the car up on ramps, but it would not be a difficult job, and I suppose I have almost everything I need to do both jobs save for a tenner's worth of relays and bits. There is even a spare switch for the front fog lamps. If I get time after the bike MoT tomorrow I'll mock it up and see what it looks like.

Bob is looking forward to a proper walk this eve, he has to wear a special dog boot I got him to keep everything clean:

Alan
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 20:17   #149
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It's calmed down to a just-tolerable but still deafening roar thanks Alan, a few more days it should be down to its usual dull roar i hope.

Hope Bob enjoyed his walkies, seeing him reminded me of two things - 1) the song "Three wheels on my wagon" and 2) my old Rusty who went to the great dog park in the sky in July 2017.

He was a rescue and i'd had him about 12-13 years when that pic was taken, was told by the rescue centre he was 18 months when i got him but closer inspection suggested more like 4-5 years old.

Thoughts on the front fogs - you have the switch there (a genuine one too) so would be nice to use it. Perhaps in the fullness of time find the Ring Microline front frogs that match the driving lights and are very similar to the OE Bosch/Volvo lights.

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 06:20   #150
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
It's calmed down to a just-tolerable but still deafening roar thanks Alan, a few more days it should be down to its usual dull roar i hope.

Hope Bob enjoyed his walkies, seeing him reminded me of two things - 1) the song "Three wheels on my wagon" and 2) my old Rusty who went to the great dog park in the sky in July 2017.

He was a rescue and i'd had him about 12-13 years when that pic was taken, was told by the rescue centre he was 18 months when i got him but closer inspection suggested more like 4-5 years old.

Thoughts on the front fogs - you have the switch there (a genuine one too) so would be nice to use it. Perhaps in the fullness of time find the Ring Microline front frogs that match the driving lights and are very similar to the OE Bosch/Volvo lights.
Hi Dave,

Yes, Bob is a bit of a 3 wheeler at the mo, he is almost recovered though.

Rusty certainly did well - I hope I have Bob that long (I'd be a bit lost without him).

You may have been right about the previous lighting setup earthing via the left hand headlamp wiper motor - it is really odd that it started working (it was one of my 'fix one day' jobs) as soon as I removed the wiring.

You are probably right about the lighting- and using the genuine Volvo front fog lamp switch. I quite like the idea of the lights - they just need installing properly. What I will do today is remove the driving lamps from under the bumper and we will start again from scratch. I'll find the cable ends that come from the proper fog light switch, acquire the bits and pieces you suggested for the control circuit in one of the posts above, and execute a proper installation for both sets of lights. This can wait a bit, there are a few other jobs to do first.

I think I'll have a look at the instrument illumination next, plus see if I can fix the rev counter at the same time.

Best wishes,

Alan