Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the best tyres to put on an XC90?

Views : 815596

Replies : 1193

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2010, 20:58   #51
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesters3 View Post
What do you guys think?
i am not an expert, but i would wonder if the differing grip levels offered by 2 different tyre styles would effect safety - as in more grip at front/back - particulary in the bad weather.

i would probably try and get a few thousand out of the backs by switching to the front, and then change all 4.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 09:37   #52
Ron_XC90
Master Member

There have been many discussions about the use of different make/model tyres front and back, and also having front and rear tyres with very different threat dept.
I believe the general opinion was that both situations will give extra wear on the AWD system and could cause issues in longer term.
So if you want to replace with a different tyre, I would suggest to swap the current tyres front/back so they wear equal and replace all 4 when due...
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 10:00   #53
Jesters3

Thanks.

I was looking to take the rear set (Pirelli Scorpion Zero) and have them put on the front.

I then have the new set (Vredestein Quatrac3) and put them on the rears.

Then in a few months replace the front set (old Pirelli Scorpion Zero) with a set of Vredestein Quatrac3 - so then all tyres are the same albiet the rears having slightly lower tread.

Or play it safe and get the Scorpions again and have them put on so all the same tread albeit different tread level?

Really want to get a good set on there in case of potential bad weather in the next few months - but torn on which way to go!!!

Reading various articles their is confusion on the AWD/4X4 system. They all say to change all 4 at the same time or if you have to change just two; do the rears first. In the XC90 manual when fitting 'winter' tyres you should do all 4 - with the Quatrac3 being an 'all-season' tyre I guess this should fit in the same category - however just can't afford to do all 4 at once!
Jesters3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 12:54   #54
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesters3 View Post
What do you guys think?
If this is a AWD, then all 4 tyres should be well matched in diameter at the tread. That would argue for putting the same model tyre all round.

If FWD, it doesn't matter as much. However, the antilock brakes and dynamic stability control may work best with all 4 tyres matched in grip.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 13:27   #55
Jesters3

Cheers, I mailed Vredestein for their thoughts:

Thank you very much for your E-mail as we appreciate all feed back from our customers.

The Quatrac 3 has the Snowflake symbol on the sidewall , this means the tyre is more towards being a Winter tyre than a Summer. Never drive your vehicle with Winter tyres on one axle and summer tyres on the other axle. I don’t know anything about the Pirelli tyres(being a winter tyre or not) but I do not recommend fitting two different brands or Summer/Winter on to your vehicle.

We hope this answers your question. In case you have more questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Mark Kearns
Technical coordinator

Well that answers that question then!

Pirelli Scorpions it is
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 13:43   #56
REDSHEEPRIDD

I agree - dont mix summer & winter tyres.

i read that the older XC90's require all 4 tyres to have equal tread ( as best as possible) or it could damage the AWD system. Newer ones are different and can compensate for this. Wonder if this contributes to the loss of AWD with the spline sleeve?

i have today ordered 4x Nokian Wr G2 tyres - all year, but winter biased - i will post the results once fitted. These replace my Scorpions.

You could always look on e-bay and buy 2 part worn tyres to match the rears meantime.
REDSHEEPRIDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 13:58   #57
Jesters3

Really wanted to get on the Vredestein but just can't do all four.

Thought about the part worn route good prices @ £75.00 for a pair though but I feel it is a false economy plus quite a few are puncture repairs. Plus as it is for the wife saving @ £200 on a 'used fixed tyre that should be okay' ain't worth it in my opinion.

Oh hum Pirelli's it is. Just have to save up those pennies to get 4 at once.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 17:09   #58
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSHEEPRIDD View Post
I agree - dont mix summer & winter tyres.

i read that the older XC90's require all 4 tyres to have equal tread ( as best as possible) or it could damage the AWD system. Newer ones are different and can compensate for this. Wonder if this contributes to the loss of AWD with the spline sleeve?

i have today ordered 4x Nokian Wr G2 tyres - all year, but winter biased - i will post the results once fitted. These replace my Scorpions.

You could always look on e-bay and buy 2 part worn tyres to match the rears meantime.
Haldax say the system can cope with a small amount of difference but advise not running with different tyres or a large difference in diameter as it could damage the AWD system. That includes type 2 and 3.

The issue with the old sleeve on the type 2 pre redesign was not related to tyres, but a corrosion and design one.
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 18:23   #59
REDSHEEPRIDD

After a nervous week since ordering my nokians through Mytyres, I have now cancelled my order.
Web states 90% delivered in 4 days - so after paying my £578 by credit card, i get an e-mail 4 days later asking for utility bills etc as proof of address - so to cut a long story short, i phoned them (answering machine in germany?) and my bank and eventually decided after reading other reviews and similar nightmare stories of Mytyres to cancel my order.

Have ordered 4 Vredstein Wintrac 4 Extremes from a local fitter - £600 all-in.

Hope your recommendation is good Roy!
REDSHEEPRIDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 18:33   #60
wadhurstdaisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuT4 View Post
Hi JimmyB, have you noticed anything with economy yet? just been running mine for 1 week, have yet to fill up, but it appears the tyres may have made her a bit thirstier.

noticed that the pressures were only 35psi, so upped them to 39/40 tonight. will refill in a couple of days and see what the full tank mileage is.
Whilst I'm very happy with the General Grabbers I took a mpg hit with these tyres (see http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...2&postcount=30)

Dave.
wadhurstdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wadhurstdaisy For This Useful Post: