Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vida/Dice 2011D isssue

Views : 3396

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2013, 16:49   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default Vida/Dice 2011D isssue

I'm reposting this in the 07> forum in the hope that a new audience may be able to help with a Dice issue I have.
When I connect my dice to the car or an external power supply the device registers that no power is being supplied.
Vida starts normal, login is normal ,the profile screen is normal but on the diagnostic/details screen in the upper RH corner where there has historically been a "connected" and the battery voltage and key Pos 2 details, what I now have is "disconnected" in an orange box, and the battery and key details are grey with no details.
When in the diagnostic programme the power of the dice is intiially shown as 4 dashes "--.--" until its connected to an external power supply, then it reads "0.00" The interface test is a fail - "Self diagnostic connector not attached" from previous help is a normal response- all other tests are a pass.
The unit still appears to read the various modules, but there are instances of comm error codes been noted between various components that I know did not exist before.
I have tried to update the dice firmware from version 5.6.1 to 5.6.2 but nothing changed.
I have read/researched many forums/posts but no one appears to have suffered from this issue
My worry is using a faulty unit (if it in deed is) could damge my car.

Any assistance/comments gratefully received.

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 20:26   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

You shouldn't have to supply additional power to the DICE unit.

So, if you have VIDA running and plug one end of DICE into the laptop and the other into the car - what happens??

My concern at the moment being you've tried a firmware update and you say nothing happened. Is this because there was no lights/power to the dice unit or did it go through the motions but just didn't update or did it throw up an error and fail??

Basically my thoughts are with the fact it sounds like there is a problem with your actual DICE unit. The only other thing to try would be load VIDA onto some other machine and retry your DICE unit on that.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 11:16   #3
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
You shouldn't have to supply additional power to the DICE unit.

So, if you have VIDA running and plug one end of DICE into the laptop and the other into the car - what happens??

My concern at the moment being you've tried a firmware update and you say nothing happened. Is this because there was no lights/power to the dice unit or did it go through the motions but just didn't update or did it throw up an error and fail??

Basically my thoughts are with the fact it sounds like there is a problem with your actual DICE unit. The only other thing to try would be load VIDA onto some other machine and retry your DICE unit on that.

Para 1) don't need to supply additional power to DIce to make it work. This was done only when changing the firmware from 5.6.1 to 5.6.2 and back.

Para 2) vida running, plug dice into car,firmware and USB lights flash,Vehicle status light flashes red faster than the first two lights. IIRC this is no different to when I had no issues.

Para 3) I have learned how to change the firmware at will. Using the diagnostic programme that came with the dice. After each change of firmware, the programme shows which firmware is loaded. However regardless of which firmware is loaded I am unable to see the battery voltage or key pos 2 icons on the diagnostic/details screen in the upper RH corner and rather than the word "connected" what I now have is "disconnected" in an orange box.

Para 4) Good call re load on 2nd machine. If I still have this "unconnected" issue it can be assumed the Dice is faulty. But does this make it unsafe to use?????

It will still read codes and clears them as normal. All the other tabs ie "Haynes manual" type functions still work, its just it says "Disconnected" on the diagnostic/details function and "reads spurious comms error codes" between some control modules when it reads for DTC's

Cheers

Bob

Cheers

Bob
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 11:48   #4
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Ok, so it is doing almost everything it should just not the showing battery and key position.

All I can say if there is dome fault with the DICE (after checking on 2nd machine) then I myself wouldn't be confident using it. All it could take is a slight glitch when reading modules or clearing codes etc... to perhaps cause some very costly damage.

There has been a couple of people who have had problems with their DICE recently - mikealder being one.

Old Aug 21st, 2013, 13:41   #5
Dtp

Check you have 12vdc on pin 16. Some times this is powered from the cig lighter fuse.
Dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 15:13   #6
100K+
Premier Member

Yes: have 12V dc at pin 16.

Loaded vida/dice onto 2nd machine and have same issues.
You can add my name and Gatos to people who are encountering issues with dice.
Thanatos told me in a previous thread that Vida 2011D was time restricted ( he did not elaborate) but both myself and Gatos started having problems after 12 months or so use.

Before I call this dice busted does anyone have a copy of Vida 2010 or a little earlier, which I could try and use to see if it is the software or hardware being the trouble.

Cheers

Bob
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 15:56   #7
SonyVaio
VOC Member

I've not got older but I've got 2012A you can have.

Old Aug 21st, 2013, 16:05   #8
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
I've not got older but I've got 2012A you can have.

DER @ me. I was going to ask how long you have had your unit.... then the version date sank in...

But have you had the thing +12months yet?? In my readings around the subject, 12-14 months is a worrying time for these units..

Cheers

Bob
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 17:08   #9
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Yes I've had my unit well over that period now, all is still well. There are others who have had their DICE for many years too. My DICE originally came with 2011 version of VIDA and then I managed to get hold of 2012A but have subsequently moved on to 2013A with thanks to another member on here.

Old Aug 21st, 2013, 21:45   #10
GrantA
Master Member

Hi SonyVaio,

Sorry for butting in here, I have just bought VIDA 2012A and it runs well on my old laptop, haven't bought the Dice yet to go with it, can you recommend where best to buy one from? I am a bit concerned about buying one from China and getting knobbled with a customs bill before delivery. Please PM me if you don't want to recommend someone on the open forum.

Reading these posts does it depend where you source your VIDA from to ensure it doesn't "time out" i.e. stop after 12 months or so. There was no mention of a time limit when I bought the VIDA, don't suppose the seller would want to mention any restriction anyway.

Grant