Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heater Fan Problem

Views : 29056

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2008, 15:48   #1
regulus

Default Heater Fan Problem

Hi all,

I think I posted this incorrectly earlier. Em, have a problem with my heater fan and it's stopped working. Everything else seems OK and it's the only knob that remains unlit.

I recall on another thread someone mentioning that it may be a transistor problem with that year of model - Mine's a 2000 S40 XS 1.8 petrol.

I removed the trim to have a look but 'm not sure which is the transistor so I'd be grateful of someone could point me in the right direction. I've included a photo. quality's not great but was wondering if the transistor's the round thing with two screws to the right.

Thanks, in advance, for any help given.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP_A0558.jpg (111.3 KB, 375 views)
regulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 15:55   #2
4 forty
VOC Member

Default position of blower resister

http://s40concepts.net/forum/index.p...3ccbfed43d7489
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4 forty For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 15:55   #3
regulus

Default Thanks Carlos

Hi again,

Big Thank You to Carlos. My questions been answered
regulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 08:11   #4
Gamefire

Smile V40 fan problem

Thanks Carlos,

My V40 fan was very intermittent, mostly not working at all, it may come on full blast sometimes, if you turned it down it would go off and not come back on again even when you set it to top setting.

After carrying out Carlos`s fix with the transistor he suggested (that I had in my shed!), BINGO! works perfectly!

I crimped the wires to the transistor, as it was originally, as I could not find my soldering iron.

Job done!!!!
Gamefire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gamefire For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 14:53   #5
m4hill

Default Carlos' fix worked for me!

52 plate V40 1.9 diesel.

Heater fan had been playing up for a while. Only worked on settings after 4. After seeing -3 on the temp on my way home last night it finally packed up.

Maplin 1st thing this morning part No. YH98G, £1.98, some soldering and a spot of hanging upside down with my head in the footwell & problem solved!!!

No more driving with my head out of the window.

Thanks Volvo people

Martin
m4hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 20:31   #6
volvo s40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamefire View Post
Thanks Carlos,

My V40 fan was very intermittent, mostly not working at all, it may come on full blast sometimes, if you turned it down it would go off and not come back on again even when you set it to top setting.

After carrying out Carlos`s fix with the transistor he suggested (that I had in my shed!), BINGO! works perfectly!

I crimped the wires to the transistor, as it was originally, as I could not find my soldering iron.

Job done!!!!
I dont suppose you have 'Carlos's fix' do you? I have the same problem, I have tried going to the link but not having any luck. Thanks. CB
volvo s40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 12:44   #7
ronmanager

Same problem here. Fan goes fast then slow then fast then slow. I thought it was some flash climate control which was trying to regulate the temperature but it would seem that it is just a shagged... The link above

http://s40concepts.net/forum/index.p...3ccbfed43d7489

No longer works unfortunately
ronmanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 13:04   #8
benf

i had a look too could not find that guide Only useful link I found found was this one: http://s40concepts.net/forum/index.p...13313&start=0&

From what I remember to get access to the fan controller transistor, it is behind the cover under the glove box (passenger side), around where the cabin filter is changed ...
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 22:35   #9
V40-Rich

Does anyone have info on the original link that's down ? Just got this problem just as it's getting cold too grrrr lol. Thanks all rich
V40-Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 15:03   #10
V40-Rich

Nevermind found it and replaced transistor all good again £2 from maplins we have heat again :-)
V40-Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V40-Rich For This Useful Post: