Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel Mis-fire?

Views : 1094

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2012, 16:39   #1
cheffy

Question Diesel Mis-fire?

Ya, I know. There isn't such a thing but bare with me...

I've just had the front driver's side bush and spring replaced and had the mechanic take her for a ride to make sure everything was OK. He came back saying that the car had a complete lack of power for about a second or so when he went to overtake someone and said it almost felt like a mis-fire but as its a diesel it couldn't be. He didn't have tome to check everything over (he was doing it on the side on his day off) but he thinks it cold be something to do with the turbo starting to die or something similar.

The car's a V50 SE Sport and done 113k on an 07 plate so I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas before he gets chance to have a proper look?

Many thanks!
cheffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 16:44   #2
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

EGR , if the turbo does not boost properly look at the vacuum hose next to the throttle body for any holes, check the turbo pipes to a hose is far cheaper!
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 17:36   #3
SonyVaio
VOC Member

By the sounds of it it was a hesitation more than a missfire?

So as Ninja says I'd be looking at cleaning throttle body and EGR, beyond this it may be the start of a split in a boost pipe and/or intercooler. You'll find out if it keeps happening and any split turns into a rip/tear with sudden no power and management light coming.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 18:07   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

I would always change fuel filter on a case like this , and look for air bubbles in the clear fuel line to injection pump .. any fault codes?
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 19:33   #5
cheffy

@SonyVaio Yeah that's how he described it to me. Here's hoping that that's the problem as it sounds cheaper (and easier) than a new turbo.

@Clan The work was done on his day off and he didn't have access to any diagnostics but I guess that'd be one of the first things on his list if/when I take it back to him.

BIG thanks!
cheffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 21:52   #6
djdazzy2175

Mate just brought a v50 se model on 54 plate, having spent over a grand on repairs for it. I took it for a drive and realised that it was doing the same thing, back firing. Or juddering through the gears when hitting a high rev. Started the car up and checked the engine and fuel line, to find that there was a big air bubble in it, which was good as someone said it would be the injectors or the turbo on its way out. But I cleared the air pocket and it drives like a dream.
Hope that helps
djdazzy2175 is offline   Reply With Quote