Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help/advices needed regarding buying S40/V50 (2.4i or 2.0i)

Views : 798

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2017, 12:36   #11
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You obviously have not explored this engine in the 5000 - 7000 rpm range where it comes alive :-) most people change up at about 4000 rpm which is only using half the quoted bhp .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha94 View Post
Indeed, in fact the 2.0 petrol is probably one of the gems of the range. It’s a Mazda MZR engine and is fitted to (among other things) the MX-5. My friend has a C30 with this engine in it and she asked me why it didn’t feel much faster than my 1.6 diesel V50. I took her out in it and drove it properly. It’s amazing how much the 2.0 comes alive above 5000 rpm and how good the chassis is other than the numb steering!
I agree with this, I rarely put my foot down but a good opportunity to test out the 5-7K rev range with the engine is when you're joining a motorway from a slip road, leave it in 3rd and see it start flying when the revs get higher. Normally I drive with low revs for fuel efficiency but it's fun when you get those good opportunities to see what it can do

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 15:04   #12
dme123
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You obviously have not explored this engine in the 5000 - 7000 rpm range where it comes alive :-) most people change up at about 4000 rpm which is only using half the quoted bhp .

Everything I drive kisses the redline a few times on practically every journey, I assure you :-D

I stand by my statement, it's a fine engine but is neither particularly sonorous or powerful no matter how much you wring it's neck. It's OK in the NC MX-5 but no better than that, however it's worlds apart from the boat anchor they used in the Mk1/Mk2 which really rather let the rest of the car down.

I always wish they'd fitted the 3.2 SI6 to the S40/V50, as it's supposedly only a few mm longer than the I5. That would make for a very lovely compact saloon.

To the OP - I wouldn't worry at all about the reliability of the turbo components of an older T5. They're very robust if the service schedule has met, it's very uncommon to have turbo problems with any of them. Worst case a refurbed turbo isn't even that expensive anymore. Well worth it for the mid range shove over the NASP engines.
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual

Last edited by dme123; Dec 31st, 2017 at 15:18.
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote