Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heavily tinted windows

Views : 1170

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2017, 07:31   #11
Slackey
It's just a name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBAD View Post
I have limo-black tinted film on the rear window of my C30 to stop people peering in and checking out the contents of the boot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBAD
Also, as a motorcyclist, a car with heavily tinted windows is an early warning sign of a dangerous driver who will have a vision problem and who needs to be carefully watched and given a wide berth.....
So you are a dangerous driver then?

I get what you mean on both accounts, but as I am sure you will agree not everyone with tinted windows is a dangerous driver.

Previous: 2010 C70 2.0 SE Lux, 2004 V40 2.0 Sport Classic

Founder member of the X40 In Dash Cup Holder Owners Club 😋
Slackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 02:58   #12
BOBAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackey View Post
So you are a dangerous driver then?
No. I'm not.
Anybody driving a car with restricted visability is though.

I tend not to drive while looking through my rear window as I have outside mirrors for seeing what's behind me.

Quote:
....I get what you mean on both accounts........
Of course you do, but it didn't stop you from posting a facetious post.

Well done.

C30 1,6d DRIVe: 100w Rockford Fosgate amp driving Rockford Audiophile mids & tweeters & 200w Rockford amp driving 12" DiamondAudio sub; Phoenix Gold graphic eq; Audio Control iPod connect; RF Power Cap; SkinZ sound-deadening in doors; Alpine EZi-DAB
BOBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 09:49   #13
Slackey
It's just a name!

Quote:
No. I'm not.
Anybody driving a car with restricted visability is though

Hmm a complete contradiction there. So you are not a dangerous driver (I do not think for one moment you are), but you classify anyone who drives a car with restricted visibility as one?? You have tinted windows, do you think that maybe other road users with tinted windows driver exactly the same as you?

What I am trying to say here is that you are labelling people in to a category of which you fall yourself but you fail to see how you can be classified the same as them.

I am not trying to be facetious, I am just trying to understand your reasoning.

Previous: 2010 C70 2.0 SE Lux, 2004 V40 2.0 Sport Classic

Founder member of the X40 In Dash Cup Holder Owners Club 😋
Slackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 11:46   #14
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Rear side window tints are specifically for people who would prefer to be driving a van and not a car !

Also, as a motorcyclist, a car with heavily tinted windows is an early warning sign of a dangerous driver who will have a vision problem and who needs to be carefully watched and given a wide berth.....
Wow massively contradictory in your own post

Tinted side/rear windows = restricted visibility = dangerous driver

yet most vans don’t have any rear side windows or rear windows so must all be driven dangerous Drivers....

AMH Glad you are happy with your car now

There are plenty of reasons for tinted rear side windows not least to stop kids getting too much sun in the back seats, theft deterent/security the film also holds he glass together if smashed some fit clear film for this purpose. Privacy to prevent the rear occupants being seen identified (use your imagination) there are strict legal limits on tintinging front windows any factory tint will be legal aftermarket tints maybe not so and police do enforce it from time to time (MOT failure too possibly)
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HDAV For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 12:42   #15
garethXC

Dont forget to clean the sticky residue left on the glass off or it can pull the sealing rubbers away.
Use acteone based stuff - nail polish remover is fine - on a rag.
garethXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 11:31   #16
Amh70

Hi all, many thanks for the positive info everyone. I do have the grandkids in the car from time to time and I will be buying the sun protector suction things for future use.

We thought an acetone based product would do the trick cleaning the residue but weren't 100% sure, so now to go and buy some nail varnish remover lol

Definitely happier and more confident at night driving without the heavy tint, I just can't believe it's taken 2 years to discover it could be removed....
Amh70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amh70 For This Useful Post: