Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Washer Pump / CEM Connectors

Views : 641

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 6th, 2019, 14:32   #1
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Default Washer Pump / CEM Connectors

I'm looking for some help with repairing a screen washer problem.

The wipers are working but no washer back or front.

First thought was the pump but that works if you apply 12 volts directly to the connector.

I'm trying to check the wiring between the CEM and the pump, I know the terminals from the CEM are E12 and E8 but I can't find which connector these are on.

As look would have it, VIDA is playing up so all I have is the wiring diagram PDF which shows everything apart from which plug I need to look at on the CEM.

The relays inside the CEM appear to be working - there is an audible click when the wiper switch is operated, there is power to the washer fuse and the fuse is good.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 15:15   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Lincs View Post
I'm looking for some help with repairing a screen washer problem.

The wipers are working but no washer back or front.

First thought was the pump but that works if you apply 12 volts directly to the connector.

I'm trying to check the wiring between the CEM and the pump, I know the terminals from the CEM are E12 and E8 but I can't find which connector these are on.

As look would have it, VIDA is playing up so all I have is the wiring diagram PDF which shows everything apart from which plug I need to look at on the CEM.

The relays inside the CEM appear to be working - there is an audible click when the wiper switch is operated, there is power to the washer fuse and the fuse is good.
is there any sign of wetness or green corrosion on any of the CEM pins in the sockets? There was a service action about 10 years ago for water getting in the pump and working it's way up the wires to the CEM which could be damaged by the water .
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 15:42   #3
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
is there any sign of wetness or green corrosion on any of the CEM pins in the sockets? There was a service action about 10 years ago for water getting in the pump and working it's way up the wires to the CEM which could be damaged by the water .
Thanks for your reply.

Nothing that I can see, the pump end of the wiring looks fine.

I haven't checked anything at the CEM end as I'm not sure where to look ie which connector.
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 07:52   #4
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Quick update - sorted.

I'm guessing that the modification Clan referred to was to replace the wiring to the pump which has been done and also was the cause of the washer pump not working.

Whoever did the work tried to get the wiring connector out of the plug where it connects to the CEM, in doing so they made one of the connector loose, propbaby by trying to get it out with a screwdriver or something similar.

Having tried and failed to remove the connectors they then spliced the new wiring to the existing close to the CEM plug. The splices were actually quite decent but what's happened is that the cabin filter was changed, the CEM was lowered to do this and the extra pull on the wiring loom pulled out the connector that was loose inside the plug.

As it was the plug housing that was damaged rather than the connector I was able to hold the connector in place by tie-wrapping the wire to neighbouring wires just above where they emerge from the plug block. I also re-made the splices and added some extra wire to relieve the pull on them when the wiring was moved.

If anyone else needs to investigate a washer pump problem, the wiring at the CEM is in the large plug at the right of the CEM (looking face on from the footwell with the CEM lowered). The wires are white with black trace and yellow with black trace, and they are in the left hand row of connectors, positions 8 and 12.

The car is 2008 (MY 2009).