Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Poor performance, acceleration surge

Views : 2250

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 12:58   #1
SD40

Unhappy Poor performance, acceleration surge

The S40 story.
The troubles of a 2008 S40, 2.0 – 136BHP Diesel. Euro 3 – D4204T. 184 000 mls.

Maybe these issues could be stickied - or made more obvious if i have missed them.

1) About 5000 miles ago I noticed that during hard acceleration in 5th and 6th gear the acceleration was surging slightly, almost pulsing. It was very slight, and I didn’t do anything about it, no fault lights shown, nothing else unusual.
2) The above continued for the following 500-1000 miles, becoming more noticeable over the period, but still no substantial effect on performance – but I did notice an increase in fuel consumption, 2-3mpg.
3) I changed the fuel filter, oil filter, changed the oil.
4) The surging seemed better, but it didn’t go away completely.
5) I tried an air filter change – the engine felt like it was either being restricted in some way or I was starting to think that the boost was dropping off. I had a universal K&N cone filter (thinking, its about time the car was modified). So, I fitted that and the result was not good. The diesel induction noise was not great and the performance seemed noticeably worse – that’s strange I thought.
6) Removed K&N, car felt better – but again not back to what it was… going backwards not forwards with this situation! I called 3 suppliers of these filters, none admitted that these filters cause any issues.
7) So, the car was still surging during acceleration as in 1. But performance felt poor now as well – there seemed to be a lack of torque in the midrange especially.
8) Deleted the egr – disconnected the harness and its run without showing a dashboard fault ever since, starts better, runs better, fuel consumption better by about 4+mpg.
9) Trawled the forum(s), as usual, many, many similar issues. About 90% of the posts had one or two replies; probably about 1% of what I looked at went into some detail and gave a possible solution. The information is out there, but its so hard to find it and then collate it into something useful.
10) We are at about 4000miles since the start of the issue now, the car is more often than not running badly. Its rare that it performs anything like it should. It will cruise at 70ish OK (48mpg). But the acceleration is terrible and with a couple in the car it struggles to maintain any speed up a long hill… maybe half a mile. Even dropping a gear (or two) make little difference.
11) I looked at the vacuum and pressure systems next – vacuum relative to the boost control and the pressure side relative to the turbo pipework, intercooler, inlet manifold.
12) Could not find any leaks – anywhere. Checked for splits, cracks, loose clips etc. physically checked all of the hoses/pipes apart from those that go around the rear of the block.
13) I changed the intercooler for an Airtec Focus ST one – so that’s ok.
14) Sensors changed -
(a) MAF
(b) MAP
(c) 2 x Boost control solenoids.
(d) Wastegate position sensor in the shed… looks to be a pig to fit.
15) So, about a week ago I bought VIDA DICE – pain to set up but that seems to be normal – a list of non critical faults shown – took a picture of them and deleted the whole lot. Reasoning was that I don’t care about the previous faults, only the present issue, it’s the current faults in this case I need to see.
16) Only fault that shows now is high output egr – its disconnected.
17) All faults clear – all electronics modules green.
18) Car runs about 70% as it should, still lacking torque, there is still an issue somewhere, but a lot better.
19) Clearing the codes seems to have resolved many issues, but I do still have a fault – I still think it’s a boost issue.
20) Up to date now – still a loss of torque, I intend to get VIDA connected and plot a graph with RPM, accelerator position, boost, map and speed.
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Last edited by SD40; Aug 2nd, 2019 at 14:39.
SD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 14:32   #2
SD40

i am hoping that others with the same issues can post on this thread....
that will save a lot of searching for replies..
The Following User Says Thank You to SD40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 15:02   #3
domhart10
Volvo S40

wow nice work, things I would of recommended you have changed already .... defenitly in the right area as it has to be fuel or sensor related. Have you checked the injectors?

With the MAF you put on, is it a new one and is it a Bosch one?

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 16:13   #4
SD40

Hi, it was new, but not Bosch - i dont think
i recall it was a known name though.. possibly Siemens.

is there an easy way to check the injectors?
remove and service i guess.
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 18:47   #5
SD40

so the car is still not right,
usually when i start it it runs well for a short period. still some power surging, buy not bad. however it doesnt take long before the lack of torque appears again. Not as bad as originally at least.
Vacuum hose has arrived, so will fit that tomorrow.
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 16:23   #6
SD40

quick update -

fitted as many new hoses as i could reach - 4mm bore - no difference, looks pretty though.
disconnected and plugged both the vac pipes that were attached to the upper BCV (TCV), same issue, no boos, lack of power etc, as expected.
then bypassed the BCV and connected the vacuum hoses together - full boost.
VIDA showed low boost issue and over boost issue respectively.

so at least i now know that the turbo can produce the boost and that the vacuum pipework is functional - if it was leaking it wouldn't produce the boost.... there's a quick test for that then!
I could also hear a slight whistle on full boost from the engine bay - wastegate maybe. If it is, thats working as well.
so now i need to check the wiring to and from the BCV.
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 07:36   #7
SD40

so.... its been a few weeks now.

there has been positive progress and an update is needed, I am always cursing those interesting threads that just die without a conclusion.

having tried all i could reasonably do I plugged the VIDA in again; same result as usual, low boost detected etc etc. faulty boost controller.
the boost control solenoid (the one on the upper near side of the engine) was one of the first things I changed and because of this I was convinced that there was another issue causing this fault, however I thought I would look at the old BCV - open it up and at least see exactly how it worked - i checked online for any info on stripping them, one video showed the guy cleaning it out with solvents, giving it a blow through and refitting.
so I tried it and .. success!
the old, cleaned control solenoid worked perfectly.
The S40 was back, better than before (although with a few modified parts, a set of filters and several new sensors its no surprise!!).
I have to add, even though VIDA did correctly point to the fault, it was not clear exactly what was happening until I fitted a boost guage. Sometimes old school just make it clearer.
the 'new' boost control solenoid was faulty right from the start of the problems, I suspect that there were some other general wear and tear issues that were resolved along the way. The fuel filter change definitely helped.

Its the suspension next...
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 07:53   #8
SD40

Just one further point to note-

The MAP sensor broke at the joint in its casing, it looks like it snaps together during manufacture and mine snapped apart!

The interesting thing was that no fault code showed up, because I have the boost gauge fitted I saw the over boost immediately.. and did my best to enjoy it!
So the engine relies on the MAP sensor to give feedback to the ECU regarding the boost pressure, but it seems there is no secondary monitor on this system. If the MAP sensor is faulty the turbo will overboost.
I could hear a whistle - from the air blowing out the small hole where the sensor used to be. Because I have a straight through exhaust I could also hear the excess boost from the wastegate exiting the exhaust... cool...
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 08:50   #9
domhart10
Volvo S40

nice job, glad thats sorted! what suspession stuff you doing?

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 14:27   #10
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Probably should sticky this thread as plenty of 2.0d with issues.

Good work on the troubleshooting.

Tags
poor acceleration, surging