Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New C70 Owner: Hi, a couple of questions

Views : 1002

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2016, 09:19   #1
angular banjo

Default New C70 Owner: Hi, a couple of questions

Hi

I've just bought a 2008 C70 2.4 SE.

It doesn't come with a spacesaver (old can of gunk in the glovebox) and the wind deflector (which I believe was standard with the SE?) ain't there.

My question is simply, do C70 owners reckon that the spacesaver and wind deflector are useful additions? (spacesavers seem to be pretty cheap on eBay and deflectors seem to be able to be had for around £150)

Obviously a SS would take up precious boot space but does it still leave some room?

Also, there's a bit of wear (looks a bit flattened) to the drivers seat bolster (although the seats themselves seem really comfortable and supportive even after 100K). Has anyone any experience of getting the seats refurbished and if so what kind of ballpark price are we talking about?

Thanks in advance and I'm sure I'll have loads more questions (and who knows, maybe even a few answers) in the future!

Last edited by angular banjo; Nov 20th, 2016 at 10:23.
angular banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 13:18   #2
Adman

Default C70

Quote:
Originally Posted by angular banjo View Post
Hi

I've just bought a 2008 C70 2.4 SE.

It doesn't come with a spacesaver (old can of gunk in the glovebox) and the wind deflector (which I believe was standard with the SE?) ain't there.

My question is simply, do C70 owners reckon that the spacesaver and wind deflector are useful additions? (spacesavers seem to be pretty cheap on eBay and deflectors seem to be able to be had for around £150)

Obviously a SS would take up precious boot space but does it still leave some room?

Also, there's a bit of wear (looks a bit flattened) to the drivers seat bolster (although the seats themselves seem really comfortable and supportive even after 100K). Has anyone any experience of getting the seats refurbished and if so what kind of ballpark price are we talking about?

Thanks in advance and I'm sure I'll have loads more questions (and who knows, maybe even a few answers) in the future!
Hi I have had my C70 since Feb 2015 with no issues. It came with a spare if there are only two of you traveling we use the back seat for extra luggage space as my wife doesn't travel light but the boot with the spare is ample we use it regularly for shopping. Wind deflector does make a massive difference & it so happens I have an immaculate one for sale £150 complete with bag all boxed ready to go I am selling on behalf of a friend.

My interior is cream & the drivers seat was wearing on the bolster I had both front seats sprayed again in cream & look like new cost was £100 you could try www.furnitureclinic.co.uk I don't know if they have a branch near you, failing that google car trimmers.

Cheers
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 14:04   #3
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

What seats does it have? Are they the T-Tec or the leather? Leather is much easier to repair, T-Tec slightly more complex depending on which section of the seat has damage.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 14:25   #4
angular banjo

Seems to be pretty standard black leather. It's the bit under the driver's right thigh that seems to be flattened. The bolster around the right shoulder/back area is structurally okay just looks like it needs some good leather treatment and then repainted/dyed.

Thanks for the helpful advice about the deflector and the space saver too.
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 15:07   #5
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

+1 on the windbreak. With the bum-warmers on and the windbreak up, a sunny day at even 1-2°C is enjoyable - you will still need gloves, hat & scarf though. Without the windbreak, you'd be freezing long before it got that cold.

Re the space-saver, on Friday I took my winter wheels to get balanced & fitted, and had two of them on top of each other in the boot, on top of the space-saver, and they still fitted under the cargo separator in its raised position. These aren't narrow wheels, either (17"x7.5J).

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 16:42   #6
zapcity1

+1 on furniture clinic. You could take a look on Detailing World, as they are a major contributor. Lots of good info. & advice so you may want to tackle yourself.

+2 on the wind deflector. Also helps to keep stuff on the backseats a little bit out of site which you will need if you have a spare and the roof down. The boot is huge with the roof up, but not so big with it down & a spare!

Mine is an MY08 and in the pricelist the deflector was a £251 accessory. On a car that was north of £35K new I would have thought most would have ordered it but seemingly not. Wind deflectors are pricey 2nd hand but you can always sell them on.

+1 on the spare. Mine came with nothing, not even a can of goo. Picked up a a spare and wind deflector from the good people on this forum very easily for about £200 all in.

Try and get a spare with the jack & tools in the centre and a nice bag (just check you get the right size). Keeps it nice and neat & safe too!
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 17:45   #7
angular banjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
+1 on the windbreak. With the bum-warmers on and the windbreak up, a sunny day at even 1-2°C is enjoyable - you will still need gloves, hat & scarf though. Without the windbreak, you'd be freezing long before it got that cold.
Being the saddo that I am, I'm already having a think about what hat/gloves/scarf combo would look most dashing and then thinking about dropping hints for Xmas prezzies!

Thanks again for all the advice, looks like the spacesaver and the windbreak are must haves.
Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 18:27   #8
dme123
Master Member

I'd second the others on here, the wind deflector is a nice things to have and makes motorway trips with the roof down much more comfortable and my spacesaver has got me out of trouble twice now.

People seem to ask a lot of money for the wind deflectors, I believe aftermarket ones are available but cannot testify to their quality. You should be able to pick up the spare wheel set in it's bag from a breaker or eBay if you keep your eyes peeled. It does eat into the boot space a bit, which you notice more when the roof is down of course, but if you really need every available square inch you can always remove it temporarily!
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 22:21   #9
Yorkieuk666

I bought my T5 last September and got a few good days including a trip to Yorkshire with the roof down. Post 70 can get a bit gusty even with temps over mid 20’s. best roof up hi peak.
However I bought a wind breaker, original VOLVO including bag for 150. Tried it out 9am one day when outside temp at 6 degrees. Traveling again post 70 it was still comfortable. Air con off Obviously, heating vented to feet only. I didn’t need my seats heating. Any good day of sun is a bliss in any temperature with a breaker! Best 150 ever spent on anything.
I love this car, especially as there is not a lot of them around. Dynaudio is a revelation!! With the roof down it adjusts itself.
Bad points.. headlights not good, have bi xenon. I know the problem so will sort.
Enjoy! Best of both worlds
Yorkieuk666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 22:33   #10
dme123
Master Member

I wouldn't be without the spacesaver. I used it last month on a shredded tyre that no can of gunk could have helped with, which is the third time I've used it in 4 years. I wouldn't buy a car that didn't have or could not have at least a spacesaver spare.
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote