Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone near north London/Enfield got a C30 T5 to show me?

Views : 2466

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 18:14   #21
Markos01

Ceramics?! Serious set set up Lizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
I think it depends mostly on softness of your brake pads

I have virtually zero dust on my ceramic ones, where before them front wheels were almost "rusty red".
Markos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 09:20   #22
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos01 View Post
Ceramics?! Serious set set up Lizard!
Heh, thanks, but its really nothing these days Its only pads with ceramic compound, not really the same as 20k+ carbon-ceramic sets you can get as an option to your daily GT RS3 or something
Pads like mine are surprisingly cheap (paid like 80e) and can be paired with OEM discs, nothing fancy needed. Benefits - better resistance to temperature, less fading and almost zero brake dust. Cons - initial cold "bite" is worse than on OEM pads. Some people complain on squeaking, mine dont, but I have coated plain Brembo discs so not sure if those just get along or ATE pads are just quiet.
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 09:38   #23
Markos01

I had no idea you get ceramic pads and fit to normal discs! The only ceramics I knew of were the full mega money kits which by all accounts don't even last that long if you track the car

I wonder if they'll ever manage to fix the cold bite situation... Almost no brake dust sounds great though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Heh, thanks, but its really nothing these days Its only pads with ceramic compound, not really the same as 20k+ carbon-ceramic sets you can get as an option to your daily GT RS3 or something
Pads like mine are surprisingly cheap (paid like 80e) and can be paired with OEM discs, nothing fancy needed. Benefits - better resistance to temperature, less fading and almost zero brake dust. Cons - initial cold "bite" is worse than on OEM pads. Some people complain on squeaking, mine dont, but I have coated plain Brembo discs so not sure if those just get along or ATE pads are just quiet.
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 10:39   #24
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
I had no idea you get ceramic pads and fit to normal discs! The only ceramics I knew of were the full mega money kits which by all accounts don't even last that long if you track the car

I wonder if they'll ever manage to fix the cold bite situation... Almost no brake dust sounds great though!
Yes, they will fit no problem but again - its because its a ceramic mix of some sort (like semi metallic mixed with ceramic compound) rather than full carbon-ceramic composite. Its basically like upgrading a standard material you make pads with a mix of better quality stuff. But its still a normal, general-purpose fit, brake pad.
See those for example.

Cold bite probably wont be fixed as its down to physical properties of such brakes - those just work better when are heated so cold bite will always feel less engaging. Same thing (but on larger scale) with purpose-racing brakes or tyres etc.
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 10:47   #25
Markos01

That's a very reasonable price actually. Something to consider when mine are next due
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 10:55   #26
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
That's a very reasonable price actually. Something to consider when mine are next due
Just make sure you get correct ones as those are for 320mm discs, I am not sure if C30 T5 has 300 or 320. (or if pads are the same as V50 even...).
But yes, those are available without pawning your kidney
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 17:59   #27
kmb

Just saw the pictures, looking very nice as a fellow 2010 white T5 Twin to mine!
kmb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 10:33   #28
Markos01

Quick image update with new badges on the rear (not a fan of the debadged look), new Volvo carpoet mats (avec cleaned pedals!) and cleamed engine bay too (and exhaust tips!). Next week will be touching in a few minor stonechips. I do love the back end of these: kind of awkward yet interesting all at the same time

The Following User Says Thank You to Markos01 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 13:56   #29
kmb

Coming along very nicely, any progress on the exhaust?
kmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 14:19   #30
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb View Post
Coming along very nicely, any progress on the exhaust?
Thanks kmb!

It's coming along a little slower than I'd prefer but there's the possibility of a used cat-back Milltek soon-ish, and if that fails to materialise I've had a quote for a custom cat-back from a reputable firm for around £550 (Essex/East London way). Should be sorted in this month I expect.

Also plan on new rear Michelin PS4 tyres for the rear (never heard of the current brand on the backs) in 225/40/18 fitment, new rear springs for the back as the existing ones are rusty/old, plus an alignment. Tempted by adding 15-20mm spacers at the back too as the rear wheels do sit in quite far...