Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vehicle Safety/Recall Notification

Views : 21070

Replies : 179

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2019, 20:21   #11
Driver Dave

Got my letter yesterday, MY17 XC90 registered 4 July 2016.

Rang my dealer as the car is going in for other work this coming Friday.

Basically was told Volvo had been made aware of some cars with a problem and had issued these letters as an advisory/precautionary interim measure whist they sort out what modifications might need to be made.

I hope they get this sorted soon, I don't like the idea of driving around with my family on board and this possible problem.

Yes I know we take a certain amount of risk every time we do anything and I suppose Volvo have alerted us to this.
Old Jul 8th, 2019, 17:34   #12
dd1898

So mine is in today getting the PowerPulse hose replaced after having been in for a recall last week to change the charge air hose on the front passenger side. I took my letter in which I received over the weekend and the new recall is in relation to the EGR manifold joint which Volvo has identified but not yet confirmed as an issue. Said I should hear within the next month to look to get the car booked in to have it sorted.
dd1898 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dd1898 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2019, 20:53   #13
airforced

Reading recent posts it is clear that we haven't, as yet at least, had an official recall on this problem There may be one to come but in the meanwhile it would help everyone if the word recall is not used as it is incorrect, in the context of current discussion at least.

DVSA, who these days issue official recalls in conjunction with manufacturers, have issued a Guide to Recalls which is available here https://tinyurl.com/y59hsktd

It is a long winded document so suitable only for bedtime reading but is may help straighten a few misconceptions surrounding the word Recall.
Old Jul 8th, 2019, 22:23   #14
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforced View Post
Reading recent posts it is clear that we haven't, as yet at least, had an official recall on this problem There may be one to come but in the meanwhile it would help everyone if the word recall is not used as it is incorrect, in the context of current discussion at least.

DVSA, who these days issue official recalls in conjunction with manufacturers, have issued a Guide to Recalls which is available here https://tinyurl.com/y59hsktd

It is a long winded document so suitable only for bedtime reading but is may help straighten a few misconceptions surrounding the word Recall.
That may all well be true but the letter arrived in an envelope emblazoned with RECALL NOTIFICATION on the front so dont shoot the messenger
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 13:35   #15
airforced

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemark View Post
That may all well be true but the letter arrived in an envelope emblazoned with RECALL NOTIFICATION on the front so dont shoot the messenger
No messengers shot in this instance as in fact I added a Thanks to you for your initial post. What I was trying (but failed miserably it seems) was discourage the use of the word Recall unless an official recall had been issued as its use and misuse tends to confuse people. Us motorists tend to use the word willy nilly for any and all items that require a visit to the Dealer for a mod instigated by the manufacturer.

The fact is that manufacturers dislike the word and will use every other word in the dictionary before the aforesaid word stems from the fact that a recall, once officially registered with DVSA and published becomes very public and is seen, rightly or wrongly, by manufacturers as a black mark against them. They much prefer to handle these items by way of an Advisory (use any word you like except recall) as their name doesn't get splattered all over the internet and motoring publications and they are thus spared a place on the naughty step.
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 14:03   #16
tangey

Sounds like this is a manufacturer recall as oppose to a gov mandated recall, given the gov website is unaware of it.
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 14:07   #17
weemark

no problem and fully accept that - personally suspect Volvo over-enthusiastically used the wrong envelope!!
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 14:52   #18
Chief inspector
Master Member

My VIN on 2018 V90 D4 not affected, so either a D5 or XC90 specific issue?
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 16:57   #19
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforced View Post
No messengers shot in this instance as in fact I added a Thanks to you for your initial post. What I was trying (but failed miserably it seems) was discourage the use of the word Recall unless an official recall had been issued as its use and misuse tends to confuse people. Us motorists tend to use the word willy nilly for any and all items that require a visit to the Dealer for a mod instigated by the manufacturer.

The fact is that manufacturers dislike the word and will use every other word in the dictionary before the aforesaid word stems from the fact that a recall, once officially registered with DVSA and published becomes very public and is seen, rightly or wrongly, by manufacturers as a black mark against them. They much prefer to handle these items by way of an Advisory (use any word you like except recall) as their name doesn't get splattered all over the internet and motoring publications and they are thus spared a place on the naughty step.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief inspector View Post
My VIN on 2018 V90 D4 not affected, so either a D5 or XC90 specific issue?
not sure they actually know exactly which vehicles are affected tbh - when I spoke to Volvo last week they said they were still trying to work out what the issue was and what it was caused by. Until they do...
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 18:43   #20
cassell
Member since 1988

We had a brief discussion about this subject at our monthly section meeting last night with a technical Volvo dealer representitive.

At present there are no reports of any catastrophic failures in terms of an engine fire caused by a melting inlet manifold, although a couple of 4 cylinder diesel engines showing some symptoms of the issue have been removed and sent untouched to Sweden for evaluation. Those vehicles received complete new engines and ancilliaries we were told.

The potential issue is not restricted to any particular Volvo model and both D4 and D5 engines are affected, we were told that around 80,000 vehicles are involved so this will be a major undertaking for Volvo's UK dealer network. Soot build-up is clearly a big factor and in the interim, a replacement of the existing manifold/swirl flap arrangement will take place until a further engineered solution is developed.

Volvo have pre-empted any DVLA enforced safety recall by issuing recall notices on a phased basis to owners of affected vehicles. Needless to say some owners have reacted immediately even with no symptoms visible on their vehicles. All rectifications will be carried out on a warranty basis at the appropriate time.

It was commented that the issue could possibly be resolved via a software manipulation exercise, but Volvo do not want to go down the same route as Volkswagen Group, having their reputation and customer/brand loyalty at the forefront of any remedy.

I haven't received a recall notice for my V90 yet, at least now I have some idea of what is involved.

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post: