Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New tyre tread depth

Views : 2092

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2019, 11:49   #1
ergonomist

Default New tyre tread depth

Continentals finally worn enough to justify changing them. Just got a set of Michelin Latitude Sport 3 Acoustics. As other have said - the transformation in terms of reduced road noise is remarkable. No idea whether being acoustic is the answer (but at least no one can call me 'Judas').

I was surprised to find that the new tread depth is only 7mm rather than the 8mm I would expect - is this a trend in tyres? If I plan to change by 2mm, then there's approx 15% less usable tread wear.
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 13:22   #2
gaby
Premier Member

Do you really plan to use them until 2mm?
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 14:40   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergonomist View Post
Continentals finally worn enough to justify changing them. Just got a set of Michelin Latitude Sport 3 Acoustics. As other have said - the transformation in terms of reduced road noise is remarkable. No idea whether being acoustic is the answer (but at least no one can call me 'Judas').

I was surprised to find that the new tread depth is only 7mm rather than the 8mm I would expect - is this a trend in tyres? If I plan to change by 2mm, then there's approx 15% less usable tread wear.
Tyre materials have changed a lot in recent years It is not unheard of to have a new set every service , and all 4 seem to wear at the same rate , even if you look after the tyres after about 4 years they start to crack so you have to change them irrespective of how much tread . Maybe the missing 1 mm of tread is marketing , although 7mm would give more positive steering feel than 8mm as the tread blocks don't twist so much .
If you don't wash your car every week have a close look at the lower body work behind the rear wheels , you are likely to see lots of rubber dust .. especially if the car is white !
So I think it boils down to marketing , more revenue for the tyre makers :

They have less tread depth than they used to ,
The rubber seems much softer , hence the dust ,
The rubber doesn't seem as durable , ie it cracks in between the tread blocks after about 4 years ...
Another point not many people run their cars with correct high pressures , the manufacturers must be rubbing their hands with Glee ! But it doesn't matter , the other points ensure you have to change them before that factor can ruin them :-)
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 15:16   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Less tread is probably how they make them quieter. (to begin with when new, compared to tyres with deaper tread depth) or at least part of the reason.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 15:20   #5
ergonomist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Do you really plan to use them until 2mm?
No. Changed the Contis at about 3mm, but 2mm seems absolute minimum to me just for the sake of the calculation. If I assume 3mm at change - it becomes 20% less available tread wear! And the Michelins worked out at £215 a corner...
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 18:01   #6
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergonomist View Post
No. Changed the Contis at about 3mm, but 2mm seems absolute minimum to me just for the sake of the calculation. If I assume 3mm at change - it becomes 20% less available tread wear! And the Michelins worked out at £215 a corner...
Aha, I see
Michelins are indeed expensive. I never buy them since our mileage/year is quite low so they would
last so long that they would have to be replaced before the tread depth becomes too low.
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 22:11   #7
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Tread depths vary by manufacturer and tyre model.
Michelin are generally 7mm new but still outlast the competition.
Most are 8mm, but there is no set rule and there are an increasing proportion of new tyre models with lower depth when new.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 22:21   #8
adambsmith

I’ve had Latitude Sport 3s from new. Fronts are just about done at 33000 miles which I think is a reasonable wear rate. When I say “done” I mean the wear indicators are just below the surrounding rubber when I run my finger across.

Didn’t find them expensive; £233 for two fitted at ATS plus £18 cash back.
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 07:48   #9
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Michelin are generally 7mm new but still outlast the competition.
Durability is important, but to me it's not the most important feature of tyres.
Is it even possible for the most durable tyres to have the best grip also?
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 07:54   #10
Zebra
Chief of Staff

Has anyone tried Goodyear Eagle F1 SUV?

V40 D2 R-Design Nav Plus MY2017, 18" wheels, winter pack.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zebra For This Useful Post: