Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Information Centre

Views : 1673

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 15:28   #1
npsed2

Default V50 Information Centre

Hi

Anyone know if it is possible to activate the information centre on models that do not have it? Most / all of the bits seem to be there already (as the switch and display work DSTC On is displayed if the switch is pressed).

Is this a config / software change or is another piece of hardware required?

Thanks
npsed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 10:30   #2
iainmd

You need a new left stalk and a software update from a Volvo dealer. I'm not sure what they would charge but from other posts I believe it's about half an hours labour plus parts and software.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 11:30   #3
raym9112
Raym

Hi - my wife has just bought a 1.8s v50 and we have the same query - I have tried and tried to leave a request for info on this forum but nothing seems to register!! or be viewable!! - My volvo dealer told me that the stalk does not need changing as it incorporates all of the bits necessary for full info centre display control - and cruise control. BUT the software neede costs £250 plus. I am looking for an independant volvo dealer in the tyne and wear area who may be able to do this for less - if I find one I will let you know - Likewise if you get any useful info could you let me know - also if anyone is reading this - can you let me know if other things in this car are prewired - eg electric heated seats etc - any info on anything would be appreciated - thanks
raym9112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 16:12   #4
iainmd

Apologies, I had a crossover hark back to my Audi owning days there. You may well be right about the stalk.

I don't think you'll find an indi who can enable the Info Centre as it's a VIDA download. Volvo charges the dealer to download the software and that's the fee you're paying to a dealer.

As far as heated seats go that's a difficult one. Obviously your centre stack won't have the buttons but I doubt the seats have the elements built into them if you didn't order the car with the Winter Pack. I know of Audi owners who have retrofitted heated seats but given the rigmarole they went through I wouldn't try it myself.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 21:52   #5
poodle

I've recently looked into this on my S40, £215 for the software install to get the trip computer info.
Spoke to the dealer again today and they said they have to actually buy the software direct off Volvo.
I asked them why they don't have all the software already on VIDA and they said all software upgrades need to be purchased.
It's a bit steep for a bit of software imo.
poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 08:17   #6
mjcourtney
VOC Member

I was quoted around £325 to have the information centre installed on my S40. I was told a new stalk and software was required, and the software was the expensive bit.

And yes, the software can only be done by a Volvo main dealer. I decided against going for it, as i'll be spending £325 just to see how much fuel i'm getting through, and to be honest i'd rather save that money and just drive a bit more light-footed!! Doing actual consumption tests is more accurate than the read out that the display will give you.
mjcourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 21:45   #7
Skodarulez

If I could add my 2 pence worth, I have the information centre on my V50 and apart from the distance to empty tank reading, it's not a lot of use. Yes, it will tell you when you're not getting good mpg, but you already know that because of that guilty feeling you get when you floor the accelerator or whiz along at 75 all day on the motorway. I am a bit nerdy and keep a spreadsheet of each fill up at the fuel stop with elapsed mileage, which is normally in the region of 51-54 mpg whereas the info centre tells me my average is 46-47 mpg.

From experience the best way to high mpg is keep to around 50 on the motorway (drives every one else nuts though) and keep the right foot light when pulling away from a stop.

SR
Skodarulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 22:08   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodle View Post
I've recently looked into this on my S40, £215 for the software install to get the trip computer info.
Spoke to the dealer again today and they said they have to actually buy the software direct off Volvo.
I asked them why they don't have all the software already on VIDA and they said all software upgrades need to be purchased.
It's a bit steep for a bit of software imo.

But your £215 is buying the info centre , however it is fitted .. how much should one be ? Why is Microsoft office or CorelDraw! so expensive for example?
The software is not like something on a CD , The basic info centre software is stored on the main volvo computer in sweden together with the details of every volvo control unit and software sold since 1998 . When you order it it's is specialy written there and then modified to suit YOUR car and your car only, then the car is checked that all the numbers of your control modules match the records in sweden and only then is it allowed to be downloaded to the car , then a fresh file is written with all the cars updated numbers and sent back to the main computer in sweden to update the records .
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 22:46   #9
poodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
But your £215 is buying the info centre , however it is fitted .. how much should one be ? Why is Microsoft office or CorelDraw! so expensive for example?
The software is not like something on a CD , The basic info centre software is stored on the main volvo computer in sweden together with the details of every volvo control unit and software sold since 1998 . When you order it it's is specialy written there and then modified to suit YOUR car and your car only, then the car is checked that all the numbers of your control modules match the records in sweden and only then is it allowed to be downloaded to the car , then a fresh file is written with all the cars updated numbers and sent back to the main computer in sweden to update the records .
I see what your saying Clan but it's still pricey for what you actually get for your money.
Is this just Volvo having the monopoly when your car breaks though.
poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 08:50   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

I guess an I-pod is expensive too for what it is .. a £40 hard disk and a LCD screen a case and a few microchips , it's just marketing whether it is cars , audio players or general computer software .. How much are other manufacturers trip computers as an add-on ?
Volvos method with software ensures security . the car is difficult to steal and impossible fix if it goes missing . also the fact that all the serial numbers are known and recorded is a help and if the car is plugged in to a dealer somewhere in the world at any time , volvo will know about it .
How do other manufacturers sytems work ?