Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lead to connect aftermarket amp keeping volvo amp

Views : 1799

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2013, 12:00   #1
rallysteve
Master Member

Default Lead to connect aftermarket amp keeping volvo amp

I have a lead here I made up to allow me to connect an aftermarket amp into my V70 (SC805) head unit to allow me to have a subwoofer whilst allowing me to keep the factory amp behind the head unit.

The lead has a Din plug on one end which fits into the head unit AMP socket, a DIN socket on the other end which allows the volvo amp to plug straight in. Has two RCA phono plugs branched off (front left and right channels) for connection to an aftermarket amp.

£5 posted

1991 205 GTi Road Car
rallysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 08:58   #2
Danhere

Excuse my ignorance, just trying to work out what the setup is.
So two extra phono plugs for front left and right channels that plugs into another amp that drives the subwoofer?

I get the idea that you can have crossovers, a pre and power amp set up or active speakers.
Just not sure how the set up works with the stock amp and an after market one.
Do all the Volvo V70 head units operate with a stock amp stuck in behind it?
I was assuming I just had the head unit and the stock amp was something extra?
I find the volvo stereo setup pretty good but I am always tempted to try to refine or beef it up, considering some of the parts for sale and advice on here.

If it is pretty straight forward, I will buy the lead from you for a future project.
Thanks
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 09:45   #3
rallysteve
Master Member

Hi there,
Some volvos had the amplifier from the factory some did not. I believe there are three different types; one behind the radio which I had, one under the passenger seat or one in the boot (C70?)

The radio can run without the amp (if its an sc805. i think the one with built in 3cd changer have to have an amp). Addidng the volvo amplifier to a head unit improved the sound quality quite nicely. Even with the standard speakers. I wanted a little more bass in my V70 so I fitted a 2 channel amplifier in the boot (with both channels bridged) and connected a small 10" subwoofer which I made an enclosure for in the boot corner. The amplifier could have been connected at speaker level but I wanted to connect if properly at line level. The round AMP connector on the back of the Volvo head unit (where the factory amp plugs in) gives line level outputs. So I made this lead which goes between the head unit and factory amp to provide line level outputs via two phono plugs to my amp in the boot. You can buy a lead the same from the US:
http://www.plantswivel.com/images/addanampcable.jpg

I didnt want to spend that much though so I just made my own.

It can be used without the factory amp to just connect an aftermarket amp to the factory head unit too.

Cheers Steve

1991 205 GTi Road Car
rallysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 18:51   #4
Danhere

Thanks for the info
I will take the lead.
PM me the details, I can do Paypalgift or cash if you prefer.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 18:59   #5
Danhere

PS. doesn't look like there is any room behind the head unit for an amp.
If there is one, should that be noticeable by more than one set of connectors going into the back of the head unit? Eg. round AMP connector.
I only have the rectangular socket loom.
Have read some of your hifi conversations I think.

Last edited by Danhere; Feb 26th, 2013 at 19:06.
Danhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 20:27   #6
mikealder
VOC Member

If you pull the carpet down from the drivers side where it meets the center consol, in the area your left knee/ shin is located you will reveal a large black plastic shield, this can be slid out to reveal quite a large volume/ space under and just forwards of the stereo, more than large enough to hide an amp - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 22:52   #7
Danhere

Thanks for the tip Mike, I have always appreciated your posts and attitude.
Been in on the passenger side surveying/solving my coolant/matrix leak (just needed to tighten up the hex bolts on the bulk head pipes), still looked pretty stuffed in there.(probably fits in the space under the matrix)
Would be nice to think I had the 50w amp but probably don't.
All the same, I find the sound system pretty awesome but a sub and/or amp would be a nice treat at some point.
Was setting my sights on the stock 100w amp with the dynaudio speakers from the R series but having read some more of the posts on here, there are probably as good if not better after market options available at reasonable prices.
In for its mot fix atm hoping it just needs drop links or bushes and some brake overhaul, fingers crossed(Mostly still has the original parts).
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 15:13   #8
MarQuemeX

Default QuemeX

Hi.
My apologies if I'm not goin about things here the right way; this is the first time I have used this forum.
Came across the mention of a cable to connect my Volvo SC-901 head unit to am aftermarket amp.
I see this was posted some time ago, but is there anyone out there that can help me regarding this?

Thank you
MarQuemeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 19:49   #9
theador

Same here :-)
theador is offline   Reply With Quote