Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1995 850t5 2.3automatic estate for sale?

Views : 5512

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2014, 19:31   #11
knobstar

Nice story

I guess you'll he hanging on to it,right?
knobstar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knobstar For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 19:37   #12
bournricha
bournricha

Default t5 estate

Well, I am certainly not breaking it.At the moment I am repairing a wing using most of an s70 wing which I had around.I have grafted that onto the front bit of the 850 wing.
When its filled and faired you cannot tell it is a graft.
Also looking to mend a little leak at the top of one radiator tank using epoxy resin .Pretty confident it can be done.
Will work through rectifying any faults and then get it a brand new test.
I could be tempted to sell it then ,there is always another one !
I enjoy the technical challenges mostly ,no need of a car of my own really.
But getting the insurance is really necessary to assess reliability of my jobs.
So all good.
bournricha
bournricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 20:15   #13
bournricha
bournricha

Default progress on t5

Finished the wing transplant and I hope mended the radiator .It is curing right now .Will test it tomorrow.Fingers crossed! If I have got it, then it will be a good fix, epoxy is brilliant stuff, I have used it on the front part of an exhaust,subject to high temperatures ,and it just gets harder and harder!
Working back ,I have found the oil leak.
, referred to in the test, and it is the right hand output seal on the gearbox .So easypeasy to do .
Bit more difficult- draining the oil, plug overtightened and rounded ,tried filing it down to 16mm but still slipping .
Will have to weld on a socket on ,then give it some torque!It is going to have to move !!
bornricha
The Following User Says Thank You to bournricha For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 20:05   #14
bournricha
bournricha

Default t5 progress

I think I have cured the rad.,at least ,it holds water not under pressure .Will have to see how it works when running.
Could not weld on socket,metal is different ,but did weld a short bolt on which did the trick.Oil was black but not creamy (phew!).
Not done much else at it today
bournricha
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 21:24   #15
bournricha
bournricha

Default t5 progress

Definitely fixed rad today.
Found on close inspection that fault was a hair line crack in the plastic material of the tank near the top hose spigot.Presumably a fatigue crack.
It began to bubble under pressure,but found that if I exerted a little pressure in return then I could stop it ,because of course the crack has perfect mating surfaces,being a crack and not a hole.
So fashioned a little wooden wedge and tapped it into position between the tank and its surround ,and fixed that in place with a little epoxy,
Result completely dry ,even at over pressure,I had over filled the expansion tank so no air space .The pressure simply cannot open the crack against the permanent pressure of the wedge
Seemples!
bournricha
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 19:51   #16
bournricha
bournricha

Default t5 progress

Put some cheap mineral oil in today together with a litre of paraffin to make a flushing mixture and ran at idle till warm then drained off the mixture.
Its insides should be nice and sparkly now.Will treat it to a new filter and some good class synthetic oil on Monday.
Then surprisingly off on a trip to Glasgow to take a crate of parts for onward shipping to Malaysia!
One old Volvo helping another!
bournricha.
The Following User Says Thank You to bournricha For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 22:56   #17
bournricha
bournricha

Default a little tool

Changed the offside gearbox oil seal today,nothing unusual about that,but on the way had to invent a little tool ,which may be of some use to others.
I was trying to remove the pinch bolt which secures the control arm to the suspension leg which had never been out in twenty years.I removed the nut and tried to tap it out ,no joy.Tried to turn bolt to free it ,but so seized the nut rounded.
Needed to be able to give it a good whallop to free it but how?
After a bit of thought,got a half inch extension and drilled a short 8mm hole in the end,this sat on the end of the bolt without slipping since the originals have a little point ,and then able safely to give it a firm blow ,and out it came!
bournricha.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bournricha For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 21:04   #18
bournricha
bournricha

Default t5 progress

Have now turned t5 round and working on back end.
Found that offside rear caliper defied even my restorative powers and just could not get one seized piston out.So ordered a fefurbed pair from volvo 850 spares in Margate,since I had sold the pair I had to a forumer.These things just keep going round and round.
Not holding me up though ,plenty of scaling and painting to do,which I like ,turning the rusty and grotty into the bright shiney and colourful.
Have got the car jacked up ,on blocks,so high I can get under it on my hands and knees!
Mended a small leak in the exhaust with the trusty epoxy ,makes a good permanent job and saves ££££££s.It copes with heat extremely well and will have no problem in the rear half ,where this is.
Should have it finished and ready for testing by the end of the month.
Inspection is always half the battle and I have inspected this one now from radiator to tailpipe and apart from the rear brake calipers ,which I sort of expected,you win some ,you lose some with calipers,parts, apart from service items(oil ,filter,fluids),have only been one oil seal(£20 from volvo!)
bournricha
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 18:50   #19
bournricha
bournricha

Default chassis tail repair

Have been scratching around the end the chassis member above the tail and found last six inches in bad shape and I would like to make a tow bar for it ,so I will have to repair the bit of chassis first.
Remembering when I was afflicted by Land Rovers years ago and how they were repaired,I will make a box section insert and shove it up the chassis member and bolt it in place.Just need to find some steel!
bournricha
Old Apr 21st, 2014, 20:40   #20
bournricha
bournricha

Default a little progress

Not had time to do much at t5 lately,but got a few minutes tonight and thought I would have a tinker with the idle air valve as it was a bit jumpy for the first few seconds of idle from cold .
From reading on the forum under stood that this electrically operated valve can get a little sticky with oil and varnish etc .
Happened to have one which I knew worked well from the late s70,so changed them over ,and got the the result .Idles fine now from start.
So fifteen minutes well spent .
Have found a bit of steel I can salvage from a trailer repair I am doing so will start t5 rear chassis repair next job.
bournricha
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bournricha For This Useful Post: