Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New V40 owner with some questions

Views : 877

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2011, 08:50   #1
Gee dub ya

Default New V40 owner with some questions

Good morning,
I've just acquired a 1999 V40 1.9D XS and would like to fire some questions your way,

How do I tell which engine/power option i have?

Reason I ask is I've just come from a Alfa 156 2.4 JTD and I'm missing the oomph it had already. Do they respond well to tuning boxes and if so do any come recommended?

Is there a centre console with an armrest available off another model/trim level that I could fit?

Upper and lower rear trailing arm bushes, what sort of of labour time are we looking at to replace 4?

Same question regarding fitting a cambelt kit, is it a long job? a rough guide to price would be cool.

Many thanks in advance

G
Gee dub ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 11:16   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
How do I tell which engine/power option i have?
Yours being a '99 it's most likely to have the B4192T2 (95bhp) unit. You can reference via this VIN plate identifier (you should have 73 as the sixth and seventh digit).

Quote:
Reason I ask is I've just come from a Alfa 156 2.4 JTD and I'm missing the oomph it had already. Do they respond well to tuning boxes and if so do any come recommended?
The B4192T2 is the first of the Direct Injection (like a prototype common rail) so I'm not 100% sure if your engine management can be remapped/chipped as some companies advertise it can be, whereas some companies don't. Try email these guys - www.tunit.co.uk - who seem to supply a tuning box.

Quote:
Is there a centre console with an armrest available off another model/trim level that I could fit?
There is a factory fit armrest kit available from Volvo or you could go the route I went - see here.

Quote:
Upper and lower rear trailing arm bushes, what sort of of labour time are we looking at to replace 4?
The bolts will most likely be seized so this can be the slowest part of the job. Expect it to take 2 hours. You will need four wheel alignment after replacement.

Quote:
Same question regarding fitting a cambelt kit, is it a long job? a rough guide to price would be cool.
On average about £120 for the kit and about a 2.5 hour job.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 13:07   #3
fungus

''Yours being a '99 it's most likely to have the B4192T2 (95bhp) unit.''

Did you mean D4192T2?

Confused me for a while.
Past: V40 2.0T Sport Lux Auto 2003 171K
Past: 340DL
fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 14:06   #4
Gee dub ya

Quote:
Yours being a '99 it's most likely to have the B4192T2 (95bhp) unit. You can reference via this VIN plate identifier (you should have 73 as the sixth and seventh digit).
right will have a look when the wife gets it home, 95bhp!!! blimey no wonder it feels a little sluggish compared to the alfa, lol

Quote:
The B4192T2 is the first of the Direct Injection (like a prototype common rail) so I'm not 100% sure if your engine management can be remapped/chipped as some companies advertise it can be, whereas some companies don't. Try email these guys - www.tunit.co.uk - who seem to supply a tuning box.
Will do, must admit most on ebay seem to only cater for the 102 or 112

Quote:
There is a factory fit armrest kit available from Volvo or you could go the route I went - see here.
Nice work, the option looks cool, take it I'll need a re-mortgage to get one from the dealer

Quote:
The bolts will most likely be seized so this can be the slowest part of the job. Expect it to take 2 hours. You will need four wheel alignment after replacement.

On average about £120 for the kit and about a 2.5 hour job.
Ideal, belts not required for another 15k yet, but all 4 bushes were an advisory last week.

Thanks
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 19:39   #5
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungus View Post
Did you mean D4192T2?
Well spotted Fungus I was just testing ye

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 08:03   #6
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee dub ya View Post

Nice work, the option looks cool, take it I'll need a re-mortgage to get one from the dealer
Or try to get on from some of the guys/gals breaking some S/V40s. Just make sure you read Baffler's excellent guide and make sure they include the handbrake lever and it's frame that screws on the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Well spotted Fungus I was just testing ye
lol. You getting rusty Baffler....

You must now list all the available engines for the S/V40 range without peeking.... to refresh your memory

Last edited by gatos; Feb 9th, 2011 at 08:16.
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 14:31   #7
Gee dub ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Or try to get on from some of the guys/gals breaking some S/V40s. Just make sure you read Baffler's excellent guide and make sure they include the handbrake lever and it's frame that screws on the car
Phoned the dealer for the armrest and it's discontinued, would an s40 one fit from an 98-04 model then?