Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HID Xenon Fitting Advice / Experience

Views : 4176

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 17:46   #11
jiwilson
retired and loving it!

Default MOT and HID

Am I safe in assuming that...

on a car like my XC70 with HID fitted from new (2006)

which has headlight washers fitted

but no self levelling (so far as I am aware)

Nothing in the new MOT regulations will now make it fail because it does not have self levelling headlights.

This surely must be true - if not, think of the consequences!
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 18:15   #12
owyn
Premier Member

This is interesting, I've always discounted HID's as an aftermarket addition because of the legal headache.

My car does have self levelling and headlight washers. Does this mean after market HIDs are allowed or is there another law that would stop it?
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 18:16   #13
Randomnumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzza View Post
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...3-lighting.pdf

Lights

Condition, operation including HID and LED headlamps for cleaning, self levelling and security. Headlamp aim. Main beam warning light.

OR . . .

Dazzle can also be caused if the lamps are dirty or aimed too high due to, for example, carrying rear seat passengers and/or heavy items in the boot. Vehicles with HID headlamps are therefore required to have a headlamp washing system (a wiper is not required) and be self levelling, which may be achieved either by the use of either headlamp or suspension levelling systems.
The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective, the vehicle will fail.
As I have said, this contradicts the MOT Inspection Manual issued 01 Jan 2012;

http://mottesters.co.uk/files/specia...n%20Manual.pdf

Section 1.7.

Quote:
Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work
It does not mention that if they're not fitted, it is an automatic RfR. So what is correct? The Inspection Manual, or that TPP?
Randomnumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 18:42   #14
Meenrod

I think you're clutching at straws here and missing the point somewhat. It has long been known that the MOT regs are changing in 2012 and that amongst other things HID must have self levelling and a wash system.

Whether or not the handbook states it now is irrelevent- it will at some point in 2012, and the original point of this thread if you read back is that the advice is don't bother fitting HID now, it will cause a headache soon.

jiwilson- I'd be very surprised if you didn't have auto levelling. Do you have a level adjust switch in the car?
Meenrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 18:55   #15
vandenplas1100

Hi jdwilson your 2006 xc70 lux will have auto levelling headlamps, i have the same car they do it automatically. you will not have a switch inside the car, no need to worry next mot time.
vandenplas1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 19:08   #16
Randomnumber

I'm not clutching at straws at all. I'm fully aware that this has been known about for some time, and I'm also fully aware of the original scaremongering on forums when it was first announced. Either by people in a rage because they have a HID kit fitted, or by those thankful that it'll stop ****box cars blinding everyone.

It is plain and simple, and clear to read. The new MOT regs make no difference to these situations.

I honestly couldn't care a ****, as I don't have aftermarket HID's. But I guess everyone who has a Jap import car with HIDs and no auto levelling/wash, might as well scrap it, or spend fortunes on modifying.

It also states here, as an added RfR coming in April/May;

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...Dec%202011.pdf

Quote:
Headlamp levelling or cleaning device inoperative or obviously defective (LED or HID headlamps only).
If they're not fitted in the first place, how can the car fail?

The original advice in this thread, to not bother fitting a HID kit is wrong. Fit it, and forget about it.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 19:45   #17
Gazzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomnumber View Post
As I have said, this contradicts the MOT Inspection Manual issued 01 Jan 2012;

http://mottesters.co.uk/files/specia...n%20Manual.pdf

Section 1.7.

It does not mention that if they're not fitted, it is an automatic RfR. So what is correct? The Inspection Manual, or that TPP?

Mind you the only thing im concerned about is the 13 PIN trailor socket because mine is a 7

Forget all this posts on what ever site as the MOT man said we go by the http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/publicati...sandguides.htm sites there the ones you go by

Last edited by Gazzza; Feb 2nd, 2012 at 19:55.
Gazzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 20:11   #18
Meenrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomnumber View Post
If they're not fitted in the first place, how can the car fail?

The original advice in this thread, to not bother fitting a HID kit is wrong. Fit it, and forget about it.
I'm sorry, but that is just plain wrong and misleading. Please check your facts by reading the Dept of Transport guidelines to what is changing in the MOT- it's in plain English and is very clear-

"This raises the question of whether these checks apply to vehicles fitted with after-market HID lighting kits. The Department for Transport considers that after-market systems should be required to meet the same safety standards as that applied in respect of these lamps at vehicle Type Approval. Therefore, in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems."

This can be read here-

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...3-lighting.pdf

Aftermarket HID kits without self levelling and wash will fail the MOT at some point during 2012. Fact.
Meenrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 20:13   #19
Randomnumber

The MOT manual I linked to is exactly the same as the one in that link.

If you click through, it directs you here;

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4i00000001.htm
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 20:27   #20
Randomnumber

You're backtracking. Your first post said 'As of 2012' now you're saying 'at some point'

The MOT manual is current, the Matters of Testing magazine I linked to is also current. Neither state a car will fail if wash/levelling is not fitted.

End of. Do whatever you want. But you still haven't answered my question about imported cars.