Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 1999 fuel tank repair/replace

Views : 2332

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2020, 20:29   #21
Derek UK
VOC Member

Thanks for the reply Luxo. Disconnecting the battery is on my list. The trip from the garage to the petrol station was such that if the car was in limp mode I wouldn't have known about it. Earlier in the day before picking up the V70 I'd been driving my sister in her Clio auto to the eye hospital. The difference was "amusing". Wrong word but I think you get what I mean. I was happy in the Clio though.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 21:49   #22
Derek UK
VOC Member

Duplicated. Sorry.

Last edited by Derek UK; Nov 25th, 2020 at 23:15. Reason: Posted twice.
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 22:05   #23
Simmy
Premier Member

did you use your own fuel pump or the one that came with your replacement tank . or there maybe an air leak in the fuel line connection. try cleaning all electrical connections to the fuel pump
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 23:25   #24
Derek UK
VOC Member

Replacement tank was a bare unit. Pump and sender was swapped over using new seals etc. New fuel filter. Pump is working or it wouldn't run steadily for several minutes at a time at 2k or 3k rpm. It won't idle if you lower the revs from that. It won't start and idle. With a bit of throttle juggling you can catch it and hold it at the revs mentioned. It ran fine for the MOT emissions and for me to drive to top up the tank. Problem came when I tried to start at the pump after that.
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 08:43   #25
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Derek

I wonder if this problem could be unrelated to the new tank etc.

Does it sound like ETM? Is there an easy way to test that?

Do you know when any things like spark plugs, ignition pencils ETM, MAF were last changed?

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 13:18   #26
Derek UK
VOC Member

Steve: From the history I have, the plugs were changed 19k ago with a major service which included a timing belts. No reference to other parts renewed. ETM not something I want to contemplate at the moment due to the cost!. Will have to bear it in mind though.
Small update. Car started virtually first turn this morning and settled to a rather rough 1k idle. Slightly rump-rump-rump as you get with over choking a carbed car. I left it idling for a a couple of minutes. Temp gauge not showing any interest. As soon as I carefully touched the throttle it died. Tried a second start and it fired but stopped straight away. Service light is showing. Locked it and left it and went and got some breakfast. I will clear the light, it's easy on this model and hope that if it starts again it will clear itself. I will then try Luxo's suggestion and disconnect the battery for a while and see what happens. I can clean up all of the electrical plugs I can find, MAF etc, and will look around the pipe work. It's all pretty clean under the bonnet. Mileage is only 110k.
Extra info: Engine was running fine until it stopped due to no fuel. I was topping up my leaky front tyres with my electric pump. I'd done the offside and the engine stopped after a few minutes doing the nearside. Found the gauge to show nil when there should have been about 3/4 of a tank. Petrol theft not immediately considered. Put some fuel in and quickly saw some flowing around my feet! The hole in the tank obvious by the leaky fuel. Looks to have been done by an electric drill. Maybe a combined drill and countersink. You can see the chatter marks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050380psc.jpg (300.0 KB, 12 views)
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 13:59   #27
400-ascona
Premier Member

Looks like the chuck hit the plastic as the drill broke through.
I wonder if some plastic swarf has got somewhere, causing a partial blockage? Is it possible to reverse flush the pipes to see if that clears it (albeit temporarily!).
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 14:32   #28
Derek UK
VOC Member

Yes I suppose that the chatter marks could have been caused by the chuck but unlikely I think. The 3 pieces that hold a drill come out of a smooth face so wouldn't I think make those marks. I haven't checked to see what size drill was used. I do have the damaged tank. The picture was taken before it was removed.
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 08:26   #29
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Derek,

You say the service light is showing. Is that the service reminder (interval) indicator (flashing SERVICE word) or the error/code/management warning light?

If the code light, then do you have a code reader?

You reused your own pump. I wonder if the drill bit hit the pump assembly. Did you inspect that part yourself?
It would look like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-V70...P/283747110249
and is about 12 inches tall

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 10:01   #30
400-ascona
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Yes I suppose that the chatter marks could have been caused by the chuck but unlikely I think. The 3 pieces that hold a drill come out of a smooth face so wouldn't I think make those marks. I haven't checked to see what size drill was used. I do have the damaged tank. The picture was taken before it was removed.
I was thinking the flat portion below the jaws:

Chuck.JPG

I imagine if you push hard, as it breaks through you would ground on the flat surface. The scum that did this wont have been being careful when they were drilling! I guess either way its irrelevant, the important thing is that a coincidence like this is only very occasionally unrelated (but still worth considering unrelated possibilities). Debris in the supply lines could restrict flow (even if that debris is unrelated to the event and maybe came with the new tank).