Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Articles

Notices

140/164 Series Articles How to's and Guides for the 140/164 series.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying/selling 140/164

Views : 12011

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2009, 23:09   #1
nigel335
Director/ Register Keeper

Default Buying/selling 140/164

This article was first published in Driver 2008.
I am often asked by potential owners and sellers of 140 models about the value of the 140 series. How much should I pay or how much should I ask when selling.
I am not an expert in this field and it is difficult to put a value on anything particularly if you have not viewed it.
I have to say that although more 140 and derivative models were manufactured than the Amazon model the 140 has not it appears caught on with the enthusiasts as much as the Amazon. For this reason Amazons command higher prices than the 140 model. Supply and demand does not quite work
I am not sure why this is the case. I myself have over the years owned a number of both amazons and 140 models. Currently I have a 121 and a 145. I enjoy both models for different reasons. .
My view on the value of a potential purchase/sale of a 140 model is like any other commodity it is worth whatever someone will pay for it.
The price will clearly be affected by the condition of the car. I try to look for body work that is in good condition with no major rust holes. The engine is not such a concern for me as it can be more easily sorted out. Areas I look for in the body are wheel wells in the boot. wheel arches and around the wind screen which I have found in the past to be potential problem areas. Not forgetting to check the chassis of course. Having said the body area is my main concern body repair parts appear to be readily available.
The good thing about my current 145 is that although there is not a Volvo service history the previous owner has recorded everything he has done to the car and kept most of his receipts and bills. This was a good indication that the car was well looked after which is indeed the case.
If we 140 owners are considering the sale of our cars we have to be realistic in our asking price. I would suggest making the most of it with a good clean and polish. It’s is like selling a house, display the best features. Keep hold of those receipts and old mot’s. If there is not much mot left consider putting a new one on. Finally for me a considering factor is the historic status. As a second car a nil rated VEL puts up the value. Let us hope that at some stage an elected government re-instates the rolling 25 year old system for historic status. I will add more pictures when I have sorted out my system. I have now managed to add a couple of pictures they are not perfect but will give an idea of problem areas Nigel Ayling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 145 pics from John Smith for P Till 005.jpg (32.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0019.jpg (142.3 KB, 90 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf volvo pic.pdf (273.2 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by nigel335; Feb 26th, 2010 at 10:02. Reason: more pictures I Hope
nigel335 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nigel335 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 10:06   #2
nigel335
Director/ Register Keeper

Default Buying or selling 140/164

Just to add to my previous article on this subject. My own recent experiences and watching prices in Classic car and on eBay appears to indicate that sellars are asking higher prices for 140's that previously and buyers appear to be paying. For those looking to buy happy hunting.
nigel335 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nigel335 For This Useful Post: