Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacement of metal channel in which tailgate rubber fits!

Views : 1004

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2019, 22:58   #1
Johnny64

Default Replacement of metal channel in which tailgate rubber fits!

Hi, I did post a while back about getting a replacement rubber seal for the tailgate on my 93 Torslanda.. got it fine and set out to replace.. I was aware there was a little rust in one corner under the existing seal but didn't realise until I had started taking it off that it had been glued in places by a previous owner and the metal runner (an integral part of the tailgate) has rusted away completely in some places rendering the fitment of the new rubber seal a no-go option... ive cleaned up the bad areas back to clean metal but wonder what my options are? My local mechanic who helps with things I cant do says I need a new metal 'runner' strip fabricated which can then be spot welded in place to fit the new rubber seal in. Apparently an American company can fabricate this for us but surely there must be somewhere in the UK that can do this? if anyone has any tips, ideas or leads that would be great.. This must be a fairly common occurrence with 240s?? Many thanks in advance.
Johnny64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 12:06   #2
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Hi: ~ I have only taken a quick look at my car and the tailgate seal but at some stage this will need replacing. However I did note that the rubber is held in a metal section as you point out- I also own a very much older car that has door seals & a roof drip molding all held in place by Aluminium Channel section (Rounded profile screwed into place- I use stainless fasteners here)
------------------ ~------------------

This type of channel section may be an option for you as it is readily available in various profiles – bending the corners can are awkward but I can give further advice if you wish.
Hope it helps or gives room for other ideas.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 17:40   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I think the moulded section must be fairly standard, quite probably available new from somewhere.
I've another car that uses it round all the doors, and it is pop-rivited on. I re-used a section from another scrapped door and just cut it and rivited it in. I managed to pick a bit to remove that had almost the correct bend.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 22:53   #4
Johnny64

Thanks, yes I was wondering about trying to find a section from a scrapped car.. but im sure somewhere will have sections or on a roll, new, its just finding them..
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 13:25   #5
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

My point really was that whether rivited or welded in the Volvo, other makes have used rivits as originally fabricated, it is quite easy to do, and works well.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 18:15   #6
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

deleted.

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Oct 16th, 2019 at 18:36. Reason: Wrong post
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 23:59   #7
Johnny64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
My point really was that whether rivited or welded in the Volvo, other makes have used rivits as originally fabricated, it is quite easy to do, and works well.
Thanks, point taken.

I'd still like some leads on where new track strip can be sourced as i'm sure this must be a common problem for many cars of this age and older and so far all my enquiries have come to dead ends. But will look at whether something can be salvaged from another car
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 00:08   #8
Johnny64

Am looking at some track strip which is actually from a supplier of Morris Minor parts which looks as if it has the same profile and hopefully will do the trick; will let you know if this turns out to be successful (or not as the case maybe!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 21:31   #9
davidcheshire
VOC Member

Hello. Did you have any success?

David.
davidcheshire is offline   Reply With Quote