Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto Gearbox Noise.. Quick Answer Thread

Views : 138942

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2012, 16:52   #41
TurboZutek
Premier Member

That sounds a lot like the solenoid area cover - the pipe coming from it would run to the cooler?

Best to post a photo so we can double check, but if it is the solenoid cover you should be able to remove it, clean everything up, re-seal it with the volvo gasket fluid and then reinstall it.

Chris...
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 20:50   #42
BigJon

I'm going to remove the cover at the weekend and reseal it to hopefully stop the leak. Is there anything under the cover that is worth checking whilst the cover is off? (The car is still slurring between gear changes and banging into gear when using kickdown, but has improved slightly after changing the B4 servo cover and 3 ltrs of atf) Cheers
BigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 16:35   #43
TurboZutek
Premier Member

I guess just check the cable harness beneath for security. If you have the room, removing the solenoids and checking they all move smoothly and freely is also a good idea.

Chris...
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 19:53   #44
BigJon

I have not had chance to get the solenoid cover off yet due to moving house etc. On another note I disconnected the battery yesterday and after reconnecting I noticed the gearbox is behaving in completely a different manner as before. It now flares when changing back down to 1st, but the upwards gear changes are smoother.
BigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 18:22   #45
modjoo

Default s40 2003 1.9td manual gearbox rumble

Hi

I'm new here but have a volvo with a lot of problems... :/
First of all is the gearbox noise. Cold or hot no problems with srarting it up - goes after first time but there is noise where gearbos is and it sounds like something is loose or tap tap tap. When clutch is engaged noise dissapers, once released it's coming back. When engine was runing I moved the arm on gearbox itself (where gear calbe is attached) little bit forward and it stoped once I was keep holding it. Some say DMF, some say clutch. Tried clutch - won't slip at all. Maybe gearbox oil level is low and some gearbox parts making noise? Also is kind of "whushh" on the 5th gear. There is no any additional noises at any gears except 5th. Sounds like "whushhh" but it's permanent noise.
Also coolant dissapers somewhere too! Fill it up - and expansion tank is dry after one day. I'm not driving it and I can not see any leaks. How is that possible?
Alarm. Central Locking. Wireless locking doesn't work, alarm light doesn't flash too. change fob battery but no changes.

Oh dear, any ideas??? Thanks!
modjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 20:21   #46
Tony60
TonyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
Ok... Just recently I have noticed there is alot of "I have a Gearbox Noise" Threads so I thought I'd Post this up to help Forum Members out in their Questions..

The Most Common type of Gearbox in Volvo's is the ASW 55-50 SN so we'll assume we're "Working" on that.....

Noises from Gearboxes can come in many many forms but most can be "Solved" (Or at least "Lessened") by changing/Flushing out the old gear oil ect

WHEN DO I FLUSH IT

If the fluid smells of "burnt toast" consider changing it if the colour is more "brown" or "black" than a cherry aid "red" consider changing,

If you do a lot of towing , city driving in heavy traffic, then consider checking the oil smell/colour at about the 50k miles mark, and then every 20k after, and when its looking "brown" more than red, start saving up to change it "sooner" Rather than LATER

HOW DO I FLUSH IT

Auto Boxes come in two "Bits" the Box itself & the Torque Converter each "Bit" is filled with oil but only the Box Itself can can be "Flushed" the torque Converter CANNOT (it has NO DRAIN POINT) the Box contains 3.6 Litres of Oil & the Torque Converter contains 3.8 Litres of Oil

A. Get under the car & locate the Gearbox Drain Plug undo this & allow the old Oil to Drain into a suitable container.

B. Refit the Drain Plug & fill up with Gear Oil NOTE IT MUST BE JWS 3309 SPEC This IS available from Local "Car Shops" but you MUST READ THE SMALL PRINT to ensure you have the correct oil

C. Top up to the Correct Level & Drive the car for Approx 2 Days (As Normal)

D. Repeat steps A & B After driving

E. You MUST repeat steps A & B at least 4 to 5 times to ensure you have completely "Changed the Oil" in BOTH the Box & the Torque Converter.

OVERVIEW

When changing the Oil in the Gearbox the new Oil mixes with the Old Oil in the Torque Converter thats why its necessary to change it Several times As said above its approx a 50 / 50 split between the two & just draining the 3.6 Litres out of the box will NOT be sufficient to effect any change in the Gearboxes operation.

If your Working to a Budget then set aside approx £150 to £200 to do the job properly The Oil is About £6 to £9 per litre & you'll need 16 litres MINIMUM to do the change.

It should be noted however that not all "Gearbox" Clunks & Noises are actually Gearbox related some are far from that E.G. worn or damaged Engine Mountings can cause "Clunks" when driving off from Traffic Lights things like this MUST BE CHECKED & Eliminated before going down the Gearbox Oil Change route.

Another common mis conception is Gearboxes are "Sealed for Life" .. They are not the AWS 55-50 SN box is NOT unique to Volvos they are fitted into many other cars & use Different Identifier Codes

2006– Pontiac Torrent (GM code M09 (FWD), M45 (AWD))
2004– Chevrolet Equinox (GM code M09 (FWD), M45 (AWD))
2004 Saturn Ion (GM code M43)
2003–2005(?) Volvo XC90 2.5T engine only
2002–2008 Lancia Thesis
2002–2005 Opel Vectra C and Opel Signum
2002–2003 Saturn Vue V6
2003-2007 Saab 9-3 (GM code M09)
2004-2006 Nissan Maxima, Nissan Quest, Nissan Altima under Nissan part number RE5F22A, built by Aisin
2001-2007 Renault Laguna V6 and 2.2dci (code SU1)
2001-2005(?) Volvo S60
2004 Volvo S80 (2.5T)
2006– Volvo C30, S40, V50 (T5)
1997-2002 Volvo C70 (Phase 1)
1999- Volvo S/V/C 70

Volvo owners manuals list the transmission as fill for life, meaning that there are no scheduled transmission fluid changes under normal operating conditions. This is controversial and believed by some to be a major contributing factor to increased valve body wear, eventually causing transmission problems that require valve body repair or replacement, and possible transmission overhaul or replacement.

Every Auto Tranny Mech I've ever spoken to recommend regular fluid changes, at least every 50,000 miles. JWS 3309 must be used. If incorrect fluid is used it will result in "improper operation" and eventual Box failure.
Lets look at it this way a AW55-50SN Box is EXACTLY THE SAME as a RENAULT LAGUNA SU1 002 Box (its made in the same factory & Probs on the same Machine) yer read a Volvo Manual & its "SEALED FER LIFE" & then yer read a RENAULT MANUAL & its "Change Oil Every 50,000 Miles !!!"

Rather Confusing isn't it ???

As you can see the "oh I'll Change the Tranny Oil on Sat" thought is NOT AN OPTION & BEFORE you go down THAT route check your .....

Engine Mountings
Drive Shaft Bearing (both Inner & Outer)
CV Joints
Wheel Bearings
Brake pads (fer "Binding")
Tyres (for Uneven Wear & Road Noise)
Brake Backplates (for "Catching" on the Wheel Hubs)

ALL can & DO make "ODD" noises from Time to Time If you've tried everything else & your left with a Gearbox Oil Flush/Change then I hope this has been a useful read.

& My Thanks to Andy D for his help & his "Proof Reading" Skills

Keith
unless you are a professional I would not change the gearbox oil get advice on the noise first ,plus you have to be spotlessly clean one spot of foreign matter put in the gearbox and you may have big trouble !

Tony
Tony60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 21:10   #47
telmel

hi hooded claw
hope you dont me contacting you direct but i've read some of your posts and you seem very knowledgeble and seem to know what your talking about

I live in Jersey where we have 1 volvo agent who are also agents for about every other car on the planet and to be honest I have no faith in them, so would you mind if I sent you details of the problem I'm having, if not could you pm me with an email address

Last edited by telmel; Feb 23rd, 2013 at 21:15. Reason: spelling and
telmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 21:34   #48
SonyVaio
VOC Member

telmel,

The HC (Keith) is a really nice guy but it may take a few days to get any reply. The HC doesn't fequent here too often but I'm sure he will reply once he does see your post.

There is some incredably knowlegable peopleon here and even some like 'Clan' who are actual Volvo techs! You'd be far better posting up what your problem is and people may be able to help??

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 19:25   #49
trulis

Default 5 gear problems

hei i have a v40 from 2000 with manual transmission and coupel of days ago i lost my 5 gear so now i only have 4 gears and they as well are cainda lose so i wounder if i need to change the hole transmision or i can fisk chepper without changing a transmision
trulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 13:25   #50
olimpiu l

Cool new on the block

Hi, very new in this field, so asking for some patience... i got my "new" v70 t5 2001 2.4 (2319) manage to blow the engine befoure 200 miles mark. It seemed to run great except gear box "creeking" when changeing from hi to low (3). So changing engine would automaticaly mean turbo as well? I've drained some oil out of the turbine... any advice (good) apreciate thanks
olimpiu l is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to olimpiu l For This Useful Post: