Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cougar Diagnostic Scanners

Views : 950

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2012, 13:02   #1
nantucket

Default Cougar Diagnostic Scanners

Has anybody any experience with these, not just Cougar, as for £31 they seem to good to be true...............................
nantucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 14:18   #2
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nantucket View Post
Has anybody any experience with these, not just Cougar, as for £31 they seem to good to be true...............................
EFA.

Good enough to read generic codes which might actually send you up the wrong diagnosis. Just look how many D5 owners come across the P0244 code and say "where's the wastegate". On a VNT turbo

Save the pennies a bit longer and get a DiCE unit (google and ebay are your friend ). These generally come with the Vadis software as well. OK you also need a laptop to run it all but you get access to the full Volvo implementation of the OBD codes plus links to the diagnostics, parts diagrams and more.

The next best would be the handheld BSR PPC unit which will read the full Volvo codes but doesn't have the diagnostics. Useful though for having in the glovebox for one of those "OMG, limp mode" moments. Shame they're rare on fleabay and expensive to boot. The new one is (then again so is a genuine DiCE/Vida but let's not start that old hoary subject again )

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 14:59   #3
nantucket

Many thanks RobbieH, To be honest I am not that technically minded, took my car in for an oil change, nothing on the message board, and halfway thru mechanic asked me if I knew that I had a message on the dashboard telling me that the emmissions control was faulty, and that he could reset it if I wanted.. for £22.50.. OK he did that.. end of oil change .. switch on engine to drive off....another message ...transmission needs servicing... notice that the mechanic is hovering near car window ....I mention it to him...of course he can fix it for another £22.50. By now Im a bit wary, so wish him goodbye still with this message on, thought about these scanners and then this site ......hence the thread. Nothing untoward coming from the engine and the car drives like a dream, will put it down to experiance, and will go somewhere else in future, but right now I want to extinguish the engine symbol from the dashboard, will the cougar do that?
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 19:03   #4
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nantucket View Post
Many thanks RobbieH, To be honest I am not that technically minded, took my car in for an oil change, nothing on the message board, and halfway thru mechanic asked me if I knew that I had a message on the dashboard telling me that the emmissions control was faulty, and that he could reset it if I wanted.. for £22.50.. OK he did that.. end of oil change .. switch on engine to drive off....another message ...transmission needs servicing... notice that the mechanic is hovering near car window ....I mention it to him...of course he can fix it for another £22.50. By now Im a bit wary, so wish him goodbye still with this message on, thought about these scanners and then this site ......hence the thread. Nothing untoward coming from the engine and the car drives like a dream, will put it down to experiance, and will go somewhere else in future, but right now I want to extinguish the engine symbol from the dashboard, will the cougar do that?
Don't worry, I'm not that technically minded when it comes to cars either

but I'm learning and the forums are a help.

TBH by the sounds of things you need to find a better local garage and preferably a local Volvo independent who has access to DiCE/Vida to read the codes properly. Like you, I'd be suspicious given the way codes are cleared and then something else pops up

I'm not sure what the "Cougar" can or can't do but you realy need to get a proper code read to find if there is a real reason for the warnings to pop or if someone was trying it on.

Have a look here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=15009 for possible local indies.

Or even a look here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=136759 for nearby forum members who might be able to help with code reading.

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 18:08   #5
nantucket

Thanks again RobbieH, these forums helps us fight back against the rogues in overalls, pity we cant name and shame these villains. Anyway I shall contact some indies next time.....