Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

seat belt warning

Views : 1841

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2010, 20:19   #1
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

Default seat belt warning

hi

my pals 240 estate seatbelt flasjing light and clicking sound doesnt appear to work, he spoke to the last owner who said that it has been disconnected but coulnt remember where it was done he thinks it was somewhere near the handbrake?? and was just a plug.

is there a common way of disconnecting this system? how can he reconnect it? he want to keep it original.

thanks
240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 20:58   #2
Skunkola

I'm pretty sure it's under the handbrake housing and just a plastic connector, should easily be reconnected. I was tempted to do this when I had the cover off a while back but I decided to keep it on as it's all part of the Volvo experience.
Skunkola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:30   #3
Richard_TD
Master Member

The easiest way to disable the seatbelt warning is by removing the bulb, that stops the ticking as well, so the first thing to do is see if the bulb is still there.
Richard_TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:28   #4
migrator
Aye - him again

Is the driver's side switch not inside the seatbelt anchor stalk with a connector under the seat? The passenger side switch is a quaint pull switch connection attached to the underside of the seat squab. The circuit is completed by enough pressure (possibly even a heavy handbag) on the seat. This switch can be permanently 'open' if unclipped from the seat frame.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 11:58   #5
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

There must be a weight detector under each seat, and then a switch in the corresponding seat belt connector to cancel it?

At least, I think that's how mine works. It has to know there is someone in the seat to trigger the warning, but then it has to know he has plugged his belt in to cancel it.

The switch inside a seat belt stalk became intermittant because the plastic had split. Not the main belt lock, just the bit holding the switch. I mended it with araldite.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 17:49   #6
migrator
Aye - him again

The driver's seat is 'hard wired - ignition on = seat belt warning is on. The passenger seat has the spring switch underneath it - weight on seat = warning is on. Both have the 'cancel' switch in the anchor stalk.

VOC 11817
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:06   #7
240GLT1989saloon
In Black.

My passenger seat never causes the light to flash; person in seat, seatbelt off. I've looked for this plug under it before and not found it.

T.
240GLT1989saloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:22   #8
migrator
Aye - him again

The actual switch may be disconnected but then twisted up around the wire framing under the seat squab. There is no connector block visible as there is none needed here because of the make-up of the actual switch. The wiring will be 'hidden' as much as possible (under the carpet) to meet up with the wiring to the 'cancel' unit in the anchor stalk. (Don't have a 2-series now so this is all from memory of happy wire hunting in the past.)

VOC 11817
Old May 6th, 2010, 19:47   #9
240GLT1989saloon
In Black.

I had a good look under the passenger seat, a connector just under the carpet under the seat going up to the seat and a wee loop of wire with a connector on it poking out from the seat. Both connected. I'm gonna guess that the switch itself is knackered.

The drivers seat looked to have the same wiring set-up. At least my seat works!

T.
240GLT1989saloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:04   #10
Richard_TD
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240GLT1989saloon View Post
I had a good look under the passenger seat, a connector just under the carpet under the seat going up to the seat and a wee loop of wire with a connector on it poking out from the seat. Both connected. I'm gonna guess that the switch itself is knackered.

The drivers seat looked to have the same wiring set-up. At least my seat works!

T.
Isn't that the heated seat wiring? My 940 has no "occupancy" switch on the passenger side. I replaced the passenger seat on mine and there was none on the new seat either.
Richard_TD is offline   Reply With Quote