Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC40 road spray whilst towing

Views : 3873

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2023, 15:20   #1
gedger

Default XC40 road spray whilst towing

This is my first winter towing with the XC40 and I've been surprised at how much road muck is thrown out the back and onto the van. I fitted genuine mudflaps but I'm not convinced they help that much. Definitely the worse car I've had for this. Just wondered if anyone has found an easy fix?

I'm currently think about buying some 5mm rubber sheet, using the existing mud-flaps as a template and cutting some new ones that are much longer. They wont look as nice but hopefully will cut down the spray.

This is after a 50 mile trip!

IMG_3167.jpg
gedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2023, 17:44   #2
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

Unless you have an aversion to them, which I know some people do, get a towing cover - so long as it’s specific to the van they fit like a glove and avoid this. You can hose down at your destination and leave it hanging off the back of the caravan to dry or just fold it up carefully leaving the inside face clean.
Frank Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Bullitt For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2023, 17:59   #3
unseen

In fairness to your XC40 - the dead leaves, road salt from the recent cold temps and now biblical rain seem to have created a perfect storm for getting cars flithy at the minute
unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to unseen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 12:54   #4
gedger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bullitt View Post
Unless you have an aversion to them, which I know some people do, get a towing cover
They look like more hassle to me than a sponge and water when I get there but I will have a think....
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 13:00   #5
gedger

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseen View Post
In fairness to your XC40 - the dead leaves, road salt from the recent cold temps and now biblical rain seem to have created a perfect storm for getting cars flithy at the minute
Having had a more careful look at the XC40 rear mud-flaps the bottom of the rear flap is definitely further from the road surface that others I surveyed at the site I've just been staying at. Our van became a bit of a conversation piece as passers by stopped to look....
The Following User Says Thank You to gedger For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 15:00   #6
Simmy
Premier Member

the xc40 is a car with very little body overhang so this kind of thing will always happen it might be worth investing in a battery powered pressure washer . worx do a good one it is popular with off road motorcyclist we got ours from argos
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 20:04   #7
watto64

i second the worx power washer for onsite clean up. Buy the extra nozzle with adjustable spray angle as this seems to increase the pressure slightly. Take you water from your external barrel via the supplied hose.
watto64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to watto64 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 20:16   #8
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedger View Post
They look like more hassle to me than a sponge and water when I get there but I will have a think....
They are easy to fit, especially if they are model specific, and leave the front completely clean, no staring through dead flies for your holiday etc. etc.

Takes less than a minute to fit and remove.
Frank Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Bullitt For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2023, 13:59   #9
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedger View Post
I use a tow pro cover on the front of my coachman when towing. Takes 30seconds or so to fit .
Slide up awning rails each side, zip up the middle, clip 4 elastic mounted clips to edge of lower skirt, clip retaining strap under draw bar into buckle.
I could have fitted and removed cover 5 time in the time it took me to type the description.
I paid £260 direct from tow pro. If you are not in a hurry and going to the camping and caravan show at NEC in February I believe it is, you could get show discounts and save a bit.

Tyres also make a difference, I recently fitted Goodyear all season tyres to replace Pirelli scorpion verde all season, not yet towed with them but solo they lift a lit more water than the Pirelli’s did, I also have Volvo mudflaps fitted to my xc70.

Paul.