Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How Slow is Slow??

Views : 5050

Replies : 169

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2024, 20:02   #21
griston64
Premier Member

Look at this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186268033...Bk9SR7KpjoCwYw

A grand cheaper !And you would probably get it for 2k if you turned up with the dosh in hand
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 20:05   #22
Forrest
VOC Member

£3,500 is not cheap. Having looked at that MOT history I think you are talking about a polished turd!

The rust on the top edge of the door is a mystery. I’ve had four 900 series cars since 1998 and one of them had that problem on both rear doors. It never seemed to matter or get worse.

I would agree with Moomoo that there is nothing much for sale at the moment. And nothing at all at a sensible price/quality.

Ones that might tempt me are:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7202667830463/

and

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7702284953583/

The first looks almost identical to a car I sold last year and which I always liked. It also looks as though it might have cruise control. The advertisement is rubbish though and looking at the driver’s footwell it might have a heater matrix issue. Handbrake travel looks excessive too. All good negotiating points.

The second one is a 960 which looks a bit worn inside and might be a pain maintenance-wise in the long term but would be fun for a short-term stop-gap. At a dealer though, so not a bargain.

Good luck.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 20:09   #23
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Don't take this the wrong way Steve but that's a ridiclous price for a non turbo B200F 740 with that MOT history
Mark, i fully appreciate the points about prices, and welcome the input, it’s all valid, so definitely not taken wrongly👍👍

My current conundrum is a fine example of supply / demand at work, if I need the wheels badly enough, then the price doesn’t really matter (within reason) in the great scheme of things it just comes down to perceived value.

Also it’s only 15 mins away…Oh and it’s a 940 rather than 740, not that that changes your point😀

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 20:16   #24
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Mark, i fully appreciate the points about prices, and welcome the input, it’s all valid, so definitely not taken wrongly👍👍

My current conundrum is a fine example of supply / demand at work, if I need the wheels badly enough, then the price doesn’t really matter (within reason) in the great scheme of things it just comes down to perceived value.

Also it’s only 15 mins away…Oh and it’s a 940 rather than 740, not that that changes your point😀

Cheers
Steve
It just grates with me that the dealer picked it up for pennies ( I'll bet he paid a few hundred ) and is whacking on a huge profit ! I do agree with Forest that it's a polished turd at that price. I'd buy a cheaper turd and polish it myself Service items are pretty cheap for a 940
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 20:24   #25
360beast
Go redblock or go home

There's a saloon 940 with a B200slug and autotragic on eBay for £1250 the dealer is taking the P with that price tag.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 20:27   #26
Forrest
VOC Member

Have you looked at Car and Classic. It tends to have a better reputation than eBay and Facebook. There’s some 940s in your neck of the woods.

https://www.carandclassic.com/cat/3/102/940/

Prices do seem on the high side for good examples at the moment and I think you might struggle to get top dollar back if you decide to sell on when your car is back on the road.

Another, albeit heretical idea, would be to take the opportunity to try something non-Volvo. I have actually been seriously tempted by this Vauxhall. The high price, manual transmission, aftermarket sunroof and the fact that it’s a Mk2 rather than an original Mk1 have put me off. Not to mention owning four cars already, currently nursing a broken shoulder and having to spend £5k on roof repairs to the house.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296193906438
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 20:36   #27
griston64
Premier Member

https://www.carandclassic.com/l/C1681977

This was owned by BBC for the first three years......

Good price, even if you do have to thoroughly clean the interior
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 20:41   #28
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Have you looked at Car and Classic. It tends to have a better reputation than eBay and Facebook. There’s some 940s in your neck of the woods.

https://www.carandclassic.com/cat/3/102/940/

Prices do seem on the high side for good examples at the moment and I think you might struggle to get top dollar back if you decide to sell on when your car is back on the road.

Another, albeit heretical idea, would be to take the opportunity to try something non-Volvo. I have actually been seriously tempted by this Vauxhall. The high price, manual transmission, aftermarket sunroof and the fact that it’s a Mk2 rather than an original Mk1 have put me off. Not to mention owning four cars already, currently nursing a broken shoulder and having to spend £5k on roof repairs to the house.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296193906438
Hi Forrest,

Many thanks for your input, and yes I have been looking at Car And Classic as they do seem to have ‘better’ motors over eBay/facebook.

Couple in Cambridge/ Peterborough I had discounted a few days ago as they had corrosion related issues on past MOT’s. Obviously this was before seeing the car today and looking at that history.

As you say market a bit static, but perhaps with Spring coming, some more might come onto the market.

I did see that Vauxhall, a few days ago when I was googling Classic estate cars, nice and entertaining😀

Best wishes with the shoulder recovery, and feel your pain on the roof issues.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 21:28   #29
Chris1Roll

I'm awfully confused, I thought we were originally talking about an H reg 740, but that MOT history is for an L reg 940?
Regardkess, the History is baaaaad!
Personally, I think it's much too much money. For that, it would need to be spotless underneath.

Don't do what I did when I bought my C70, which was buy it because I was getting a bit desperate!
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris1Roll For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 21:34   #30
tofufi
Premier Member

Hi Steve,

Has any diagnosis been done on your old 940 yet? It may not have anything much wrong with it - so it seems a bit premature to be considering replacing it!

Better the devil you know, most of the time! Certainly where cars are concerned...
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post: