Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

b18 flywheel & double valve springs

Views : 671

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2024, 13:38   #1
DOGSTAR

Default b18 flywheel & double valve springs

Does anyone have experience with a lightened flywheel to
that of a standard, Brookhouse do a 5kg one but wondered how that would work on a daily driver?

Secondly does anyone know the base pressure of the standard and of the double valve springs when closed?

(that again brookhouse have https://classicvolvoparts.co.uk/part...+SPRING+SET%2E )
DOGSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2024, 14:15   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

DS;

Would the question of double spring force not best be posed to the supplier offering that arrangement...?

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2024, 14:29   #3
DOGSTAR

The suppliers who brookhouse used now do not trade and they do not seem to have the information on the item, i have asked about the standard springs but again seems to be a question that has not been asked. My engineer can work it oout but that is time=£

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
DS;

Would the question of double spring force not best be posed to the supplier offering that arrangement...?

Cheers
Old Mar 13th, 2024, 16:32   #4
Rustinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSTAR View Post
The suppliers who brookhouse used now do not trade and they do not seem to have the information on the item, i have asked about the standard springs but again seems to be a question that has not been asked. My engineer can work it oout but that is time=£
Don’t know if this helps from piper cams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0840.jpg (93.5 KB, 8 views)
Rustinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustinmotion For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2024, 18:26   #5
142 Guy
Master Member

The factory service manual provides the spring free length and the force required to compress the spring to different heights so you can work out the spring rate. Unfortunately the SM does not provide the installed height of the spring. However, if you measure the installed height of the OEM springs on your head you can use the specified free length, the spring rate and your installed height to calculate the installed pressure of the OEM springs.

As to the lighter flywheel / daily driver question, that depends on how much you value idle quality. With a lighter flywheel the RPM will fluctuate more between cylinder firings which may make for more engine shake. This will get worse with cams that have more overlap. You can compensate for this by increasing idle speed. I have had people advise me that their light flywheel engines idle perfectly well at 1250 RPM.

A lighter flywheel can make stop and go traffic more of a hassle because the engine speed drops faster as you engage the clutch which can lead to un expected stalls if you release the clutch too quickly. That is mostly fixed by modifying your driving style.
142 Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2024, 20:01   #6
paul staines

I have had a lightened flywheel fitted for a few years now with no problems whatsoever. Car ticks over fine. Spins up even better. Bought mine exchange from Amazon cars. Great modification. Hope this helps. My Idle is set at
975 at the moment.
paul staines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 00:20   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Where the weight is removed from does effect how the flywheel effects idle. The TTV flywheel retains good idle, I have run a few of them and give no trouble in road use https://www.classicswede.org/shop/b1...light-flywheel
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 09:45   #8
DOGSTAR

Hoi thanks for your info.
What weight flywheel are you using. I know Amazon cars do a 5kg or 8.5Kg i think.
Am i correct saying the original is 10Kgg?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul staines View Post
I have had a lightened flywheel fitted for a few years now with no problems whatsoever. Car ticks over fine. Spins up even better. Bought mine exchange from Amazon cars. Great modification. Hope this helps. My Idle is set at
975 at the moment.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 11:45   #9
blueosprey90
Master Member

2 cents from the peanut gallery.

In my MG world (with engines of similar size and power), there is often objection voiced to a lightened flywheel due to spin up and idle concerns. But I've never heard of anyone who converted to a lightened flywheel thereafter object to performance. In my case, I have three MG engines, all with Fidanza aluminum flywheels. I think the weight differential is something like 28 to 11 pounds. When one considers the flywheel and clutch in combination, it represents something in the range of a 25% reduction in that combined rotating mass.

A reduction in rotating mass never hurt anybody. A lightened flywheel will make you feel like you have more HP, even though you don't. And it will take less energy to achieve the same power, meaning the engine does not have to work as hard. It may even help to extend the life of your lifters though nose pressure on the cam is likely far more important.

You may find this video helpful. See data at about 3:00 and at 8:42

https://youtu.be/T76pEw72NPQ?si=SvWGTcDnLaf8d8sm
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 15:17   #10
paul staines

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSTAR View Post
Hoi thanks for your info.
What weight flywheel are you using. I know Amazon cars do a 5kg or 8.5Kg i think.
Am i correct saying the original is 10Kgg?

Thanks
Not sure but seem to remember 5kg saving in weight from original.
paul staines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paul staines For This Useful Post: