Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 - Westfalia Detachable towbar fitting guide

Views : 46536

Replies : 120

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 12:30   #21
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

jeffo there are some pics of the Westie in post number 4 of this thread, not sure what the difference is, but most seem to plump for the Westafalia.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 13:24   #22
jeffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
jeffo there are some pics of the Westie in post number 4 of this thread, not sure what the difference is, but most seem to plump for the Westafalia.
Thanks. I saw those. But do those pics have the electrics installed? I cant see the socket anywhere in them.

Still need to know the difference between the electrics options.

Thanks
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 13:51   #23
clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffo View Post
Thanks. I saw those. But do those pics have the electrics installed? I cant see the socket anywhere in them.

Still need to know the difference between the electrics options.

Thanks
You can't see the socket on those pics as it is completely invisible when not in use. The hanger rotates and the socket dissapears up behind the lowest part of the bumper/trim.

I'm sure someone can do a picture with it rotated down for you.

I went for the Westfalia as it meets my requirements of being completely invisible when not in use, unlike the Volvo detachable which you can still see even with the ball detached.

IMHO the Westfalia is what the Volvo original should have been.
clam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 14:44   #24
jeffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clam View Post
You can't see the socket on those pics as it is completely invisible when not in use. The hanger rotates and the socket dissapears up behind the lowest part of the bumper/trim.

I'm sure someone can do a picture with it rotated down for you.

I went for the Westfalia as it meets my requirements of being completely invisible when not in use, unlike the Volvo detachable which you can still see even with the ball detached.

IMHO the Westfalia is what the Volvo original should have been.
Thanks for that. I managed to find pics of the Volvo one...They even sell a cover (seperately) for the towbar when the ball is not attached. I think I will stick with the westfalia.

So last question 7 or 14 pin electrics?
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 15:26   #25
clam

Quote:

So last question 7 or 14 pin electrics?
I pondered over that for some time myself, in the end went for the much more expensive option of 13pin.

Only you can decide really.....

If you'll only ever use a basic trailer or bike rack tailboard then a single 12N (black 7pin) will be fine
But if you have or may have a caravan and you want to use the 12S connections (white socket) then you'd need that...at which point the single 13pin socket is tidier on the towbar, although more expensive and you'd need a Y connector if you use it to connect to 12N & 12S equipment. Also having not seen it I wonder if with 2 sockets on the hanger it still swings up out of sight ok?
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 16:07   #26
jeffo

I will likely want to get a bike rack for the tow bar, small trailer for camping and runs to the tip etc. and I want to get a speed boat which will have a trailer.

Anyone know...if I need 7 or 13 pin?
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 19:15   #27
scrambler

The factory fit towbar on my Audi Allroad is Westfalia and it is a very high quality bit of kit. I've just ordered one today for my soon to arrive XC90. I'm still undecided about electrics. I think 13 pin is the future so I may go with that. I will get the electrics from Volvo for warranty reasons.
scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 09:38   #28
clam

Quote:
I will likely want to get a bike rack for the tow bar, small trailer for camping and runs to the tip etc. and I want to get a speed boat which will have a trailer.

Anyone know...if I need 7 or 13 pin?
If that's all you'll ever tow then the single socket 7pin will do you.

I personally thought along the same lines as scrambler which is why I went for the 13pin
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 09:54   #29
jeffo

I will NEVER tow a Caravan. Own a Caravan, or even go into a Caravan!

We bought one a few years ago, and hated every second of the six weeks between buying and selling it.

I am currently torn between buying a motorhome or a speed boat, but certainly have no desires to own a caravan any time soon.

I have ordered the 7 pin electrics because there was a big price difference, and I can always change it later. In fact the 7 pin electrics was cheaper than the 13pin to 7pin adapter that Volvo sell, so if I ever need 13 pin I will buy the 13 pin electric kit and have both.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 20:23   #30
jeffo

This really is a great write up. I received my Westfalia Towbar today, along with a Thule G5 909 + 9081 cycle carrier.

I started to fit the towbar but have now decided to get someone else to do it. I found a local company who will fit for £80 + VAT. It will get done while I am at work, and not take up my time. There is no chance of me making a mistake; for £80 it isnt worth doing it yourself.

Even though I am not fitting it myself; thanks for the write-up. I am going to print it out and give it to the fitter so that he knows the bumper doesnt need to come off.