Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Whats the 240 ownership experience in 2019

Views : 5254

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2019, 23:16   #31
Johnny64

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsing View Post
I just don't get this constant moaning about not being fast. The vast majority of people don't drive "fast" cars. The 240 manual does 0-60mph on 10.5 seconds, that surely is adequate? If you want a car purely to be "fast", yes, buy something else, but dismissing a family car because it's not "fast" is just odd. And it's not under-powered as some people make it out to be. Under-powered is something entirely different...
Not 'Moaning' about it not being 'fast'.. I personally see its relatively sedate character as an absolute bonus.. 60-70 max is plenty plenty fast for me (and ive had a few cars that do 100+ and are still yawning) Don't think I mentioned 'power' or performance at all and my car will pull as happily full to the brim as empty.. i'm very happy thank you!! Mind you if you live in Buckinghamshire I doubt you get any open road to go any speed anyway! Are you having a go cos i'm new to the forum?
Johnny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 23:23   #32
Johnny64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
I occasionally get to Exeter to meet stepdaughter so you might see a white Tors once in a while. Very rarely see any nowadays, though oddly I did see a couple in about three weeks back in the summer, but none since.
Hi! Funny, I was in Cornwall last week and went through Lostwithial! I am up and down the (proper) west country a fair bit so it might have been me you saw as mine is a '93 white Torslanda too!! Just took it (my instinct is to call it 'her' but that might be sentimental and politically incorrect) off the road for a fortnight to get through MOT and do a few cosmetic bits and pieces. Nice to know they are still out there!
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny64 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 23:32   #33
Johnny64

[QUOTE=morsing;2564152] The vast majority of people don't drive "fast" cars.

Actually, yes they do! All modern production cars are build to exceed the UK speed limit and do regularly; modern inbuilt protection gives drivers a sense of invulnerability and yes statistically more people survive severe accidents but the accidents still happen but frequently innocent people are injured or killed. Luckily, 'the vast majority of people' drive fast cars sensibly..
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 13:55   #34
morwenna240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny64 View Post
Hi! Funny, I was in Cornwall last week and went through Lostwithial! I am up and down the (proper) west country a fair bit so it might have been me you saw as mine is a '93 white Torslanda too!! Just took it (my instinct is to call it 'her' but that might be sentimental and politically incorrect) off the road for a fortnight to get through MOT and do a few cosmetic bits and pieces. Nice to know they are still out there!
I have a white Torslanda. I'd just come onto M5 at jct 25, an another white T came haring past in the 3rd lane, we waved. This was Spring time, think. Who was that? Cheers.
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morwenna240 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 15:27   #35
Angie
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny64 View Post
Not 'Moaning' about it not being 'fast'.. I personally see its relatively sedate character as an absolute bonus.. 60-70 max is plenty plenty fast for me (and ive had a few cars that do 100+ and are still yawning) Don't think I mentioned 'power' or performance at all and my car will pull as happily full to the brim as empty.. i'm very happy thank you!! Mind you if you live in Buckinghamshire I doubt you get any open road to go any speed anyway! Are you having a go cos i'm new to the forum?
My first real experience of a 240 was with a friend on the A30 in Cornwall. I was nicely settled in the 'armchair' and glanced across to see the speedometer was reading 90 mph! Even allowing for error we were certainly in the low- to mid-80s, with no sense of strain or excessive noise. That car had then covered around 180,000 miles, and was a 2ltr. I rarely exceed 70 except when overtaking but I know there's plenty in reserve if needed.

I can't believe the comments from some people, such as 'underpowered' and 'slow', what on earth more does anyone want from a car except loads of bells and whistles, and expensive repairs?!

By the way, my Tors is now approaching 218.000 so doesn't owe me much.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 15:40   #36
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Angie. Your car is almost run in. Mine is far behind yours.

Further to your comments re performance. Yes. And well. The 240 is designed to be driven. The gears are there for a purpose. One can change up, e.g. from third, when appropriate. O.K. yes I drive mainly in higher gears but we must remember, the 240 IS A CAR

I remember towing a Santa trailer up hill. Someone following in a Jaguar commented that I had "got a move on". I believe that I am a sedate driver. But there was a job to be done.

Things are relative?

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 16:39   #37
LankyTim
Missing the point

I've never had a 2 litre auto 240 but I did have a 2 litre auto 740, and that thing was desperately slow.

I've recently bought a 1997 2.3 turbo auto 940 and was impressed at how quick it is... I hadn't been in one for around 10 years or so. Great car!
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 20:55   #38
Angie
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Angie. Your car is almost run in. Mine is far behind yours.

Further to your comments re performance. Yes. And well. The 240 is designed to be driven. The gears are there for a purpose. One can change up, e.g. from third, when appropriate. O.K. yes I drive mainly in higher gears but we must remember, the 240 IS A CAR

I remember towing a Santa trailer up hill. Someone following in a Jaguar commented that I had "got a move on". I believe that I am a sedate driver. But there was a job to be done.

Things are relative?

I was asked a few months ago to tow a fairly hefty catering trailer on a tortuous journey across the county. I hesitated at first, the last time I towed anything was sometime in the '60s, but an experienced driver friend came with me for confidence. He did comment when we were on our way to collect, how quickly I was going up the hills, and on the return with the trailer I couldn't believe how easily the old car managed it all, even though the trailer's tyres were softer than they should have been, and its brakes left something to be desired!

Of course a 2.3 would be a luxury but even in this hilly part of the country I have no complaints about the 2.0. It is, as you suggest, Stephen, a car to be driven!

Thinking about that reminds me of when I was in a bit of a hurry to collect my stepdaughter who lives about 25 miles away. I had no passenger on the way there so really used the gears on the very winding road and yes, the suspension would have thrown a passenger about a bit on some of the bends but for me on my own it was a lot of fun! Really took me back to the days before motorways when I was doing a fair amount of commuting in a big wallowy old Triumph. But I, like you I suspect, Stephen, learnt to really drive. I've often regretted that I never had the chance to do some rally driving but a bit late for that now.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2019, 03:29   #39
DW42

Last summer we had a clear out of books, which ended up filling the entire cargo area with the rear seat folded. The charity book shop that we like happens to be on Tamborine mountain, and it's a very steep ascent from the coast. I thought it would be very slow progress, even with the 2.3 engine, and I was worried about overheating in the 30 degree C weather. I needn't have stressed myself about it -- it went up with no problems at all. There is a good amount of torque, and the auto box is geared well. It probably helps that a 240 is not unreasonably heavy to begin with. Spotted a 242GT on the journey too.
The Following User Says Thank You to DW42 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2019, 13:54   #40
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Ive had three 240.s. First was my 1st Volvo. A Torslander. So 2.0 ltr EFI. Strong and grunty. Towed my 1300kg caravan happily from Pompey to northern Scotland two times.
Then got an 82 244GLT. That had 4 + OD amazing umph for a car of its age and size.
Replaced these two for an 850 T5 est. Loved that but always missed my 240’s....

Had to go back so got a 240GL Est so 2.0 ltr again. Got that in 03 and towed my then 1400kg caravan to here. In southern Brittany with it. Kept it till 2017 and it ran better and better. Got at 142k sold at 217k (clock stopped 2 yrs prior) it’s still living on as a delivery van for 1/2 size harpsichords which the new owner makes!
Should of kept this, get one you’ll never regret it.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post: