Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 740 turbo auto estate

Views : 4394

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 19:14   #1
lankytim

Hi you lot,

Im thinking of swapping my 240 estate with a 740 turbo estate, 1987 model. Whats the 0-60 time B.H.P and are they genrally well rated?
What kind of horrors should i look out for?

I KNOW its not that much of a performance motor but its got a turbo, that my 240 aint got!

Tim (lankytim@hotmail.com)
Old Mar 18th, 2002, 19:26   #2
alexzoutsos

If I remember correctly, and I may well be wrong!! I think the old 740 turbo was quite a shifter..around 8.something (reasonably sure) to 60 & 170BHP(GUESS)

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 20:54   #3
ALANT5RBEAL
mature member

Default RE: Volvo 740 turbo auto estate

Hi Tim
Look around for 1989 model far better spec alloys abs brakes go for 2.3 turbo really great car any advice e-mail alan.beal@bt.com
regards Alan
ALANT5RBEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2002, 23:25   #4
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default RE: Volvo 740 turbo auto estate

I know of a bloke who fitted one of these engines to a 360, just put on a cone air filter, a high flow exhast, and returns over 200bhp. They were proably 'held back' a bit to prevent upsetting any labradors, but as a result are idea for a bit of tuning. It wouldnt take much turn it into something capable of sending these T5 boys running for the hills!

the stock BHP is, as Alex said, is 170, which ought to get that thing to 60 in anything between 7.5-8.5 s dependant on load. the 360 does 6.5s BTW :)

cheers

james

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 08:08   #5
james

i had an 88 740 turbo and it was the dogs b****x. the 4 star ones ( upto 1988/e reg) have 182 bhp and the unleaded are 170 bhp.they are pretty bullet proof if serviced .mine did 188000 miles and the 88000 i put on it were not kind at all.and it still goes strong with the new owner. the main reason i got rid and got a t5 was fuel average was below 20 and the best was 27mpg.
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:33   #6
Craig

Nothing to add to the other answers but they are very tune-able: the motor is fairly understressed, and they apparently respond very well to the bleed valve / exhaust treatment. See www.turbobricks.com for details -- many of the listers on their forum have 740 turbos and can answer any questions you may have.
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 17:41   #7
james

check out ww.turbobricks.org theres a bloke who tweeked a 740 turbo motor then fitted it into a 240 gl estate 0-60 less than 6.5 secs!
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 21:54   #8
lankytim

Thankyou everso much for everyones replies. I think ill definaltely get this car when the guy sells it. One more question, does it have a Limited slip diff? ;)
Old Mar 20th, 2002, 10:50   #9
Craig

Don't know about an lsd -- but a couple of checks to help when looking finally at the car are:

- check the turbo is OK: after your test drive, let the car idle for a minute. Then get out, watch the exhaust carefully and boot the throttle. If you get a big plume of blue / white smoke the turbo seals are shot and will need replacing (budget minimum £400)

- check carefully around the oil filler cap & dipstick for mayonnaise and check the radiator / header tank too

- ask to get / see any receipts for service work and check through: any recent work on the turbo area / gaskets is a GOOD sign!

- check carefully around the hoses leading to and from the turbo for splits / stress points. These can let go with age.

Good luck
Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:09   #10
George Holmer

One way of tuning a 740 Turbo is to fit an APC from a Saab 900/9000 Turbo, in particular the famous red box makes the car very fast. There is a website about this, just do a search. Or perhaps someone in the club has done this.

George