Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front disc dia

Views : 2229

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 19:03   #1
deffead

My T5R needs new front pads, so I decided to pull a front wheel to check everything else was okay before I got the pads. I found my discs are 300mm dia. and not as the manual gives 280 Is this a Volvo modification or, as my car is ex-police, a special mod for the police? Has anyone else come across this and if so what pads do I need because I imagine if the disc dia is different the pad size could be too.
Incidentally they are Volvo/Ate discs with what could be an Ate number 11.012600011? if that helps anyone.

Jack, T5R
Old Mar 24th, 2002, 21:27   #2
alexzoutsos

This was an upgrade available, the discs were 302mm instead of 280 as you've noticed. I thought it was just the S/V70 that came with 302mm discs (mine has them) and that it was available as an upgrade for the 800 series.

This was discussed here a while back (yes they were fitted to police cars) so try doing a search (include archives) in the performance section for 'brake upgrades' or 'police brakes'
Old Mar 24th, 2002, 23:44   #3
deffead

Hi Alex
Couldn't find any reference to anything other than the AP kit in the archive, but if your caliper (S/V70) is the same design as the 850 then I can start by checking the pads for them. Just didn't want the hassle of ordering, getting wrong ones, returning etc....

Cheers for the info
Jack, T5R
Old Mar 25th, 2002, 20:36   #4
duncan hancox

the pads are the same for both disk sizes,

the disks are bigger, the calipers are the same, but the caliper mounting brackets (which only come with the calipers) are slightly bigger for the 302mm disks.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 23:32   #5
noiseboy
VOC Member

Default RE: Front disc dia

Sneaky suspicion on this one....

Glen at GB Autos in cheam has 302mm "R" discs on his V70, and remember him saying something about how they were harder than standard. Apparently not many dealers know this and put the wrong discs in!

I dont know if the pads are the same, or if they are a different compound to suit the discs.

Regards,

Phil :-)

www.t5r.org
noiseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:12   #6
a15htn

Interesting that,

When I was last at my dealers he showed me the parts fische for the 850 'R' which showed the same disk part numbers for the '96 R as the '96 T5...... makes you wonder how right this really is......does anyone have the ATE part number for the 'R' disk as mine are on their way out (again :( )

Jim,
'96 855-R (The Flying Wardrobe):o
Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:17   #7
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default RE: Front disc dia

I'm trying, so far with no success, to email Volvo UK to sort this one out.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2002, 14:57   #8
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default The word of God - I hope.

After an abortive call to Volvo UK, who told me to contact my dealer, I did just that.

After talking to the very helpful parts guy at Speeds West Bridgford (shameless plug here) I have this information:

850s 1994 on:
Standard discs: no. 271788 with pads 9485593

T5-R and R discs: no. 272312 with pads 272343

70 series 1999 on:
standard wheels as standard 850

16" wheels and above: discs no. 272276 with pads 9485267

AWD Rs have pads no. 9485953

Note: All this is for FRONT BRAKES ONLY.

And a further note; all part nos. are about to be changed, probably due to the Ford tie-up - so these will soon be of historical interest only, but will be very helpful to guide the correct fitting.

There is no information available on sizes or construction of the discs or pads, so don't ask me - I may find some later of course...

Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2002, 21:11   #9
deffead

Oh well, guess a visit to the dealer is called for, they do maintain the local police volvo's so i'm in with half a chance of the right pads. Just not fond of dealer prices:'( and got to get sorted for April 6, thats if there's room for an old'un at "Meadow hell".

Jack, T5R
Old Mar 27th, 2002, 00:08   #10
Loz

There's room for all who share the vision of Volvo world domination through speed and reliabilty, Jack. Just a thought but would people mind publishing their milage so we can see who is running around thw most?

Mine is at 158000 today and gains a thousand a week currently. I get to drive to all my UK appointments which as you can imagine, is FUN!!!!!! }>

Loz

seen cars on the high miler register with 1.8 million miles on the clock. is this for real??