Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

54 plate V70 throttle issues

Views : 1906

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2014, 13:14   #11
R3dbvll

Right, I took the air box apart, removed that tubing.

I remove the MAF, and gave that a good clean. I hadn't noticed before, but it was very dirty on one side.

I removed the four bolts of the throttle body, but it resolutely refuses to be removed. So I tried cleaning it in place.

It was quite grimy on the inside of the butterfly. I think I did a reasonable job of cleaning it. I also used electrical cleaner on the connectors.

result - no difference.

Engine ran fine for a few minutes. The revs were initially high, then dropped to about 800, then to 750. Then as the engine got warmer, the revs suddenly died.

Does the engine need to 're-learn' the idle point perhaps?

What else could it be? As a side note, when the engine is cold, it initially idles at about 1200 rpm, then quickly drops to 700 normally. I assumed that is to warm up the catalytic converter.

Thanks for any help!
R3dbvll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 14:39   #12
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I think you will need to have another go at getting the throttle body off to clean it. Ideally you need to be able to sight through the throttle body to see if the gap between the closed throttle and the bore is clear.

You did not say if you have given the car a run, and yes there maybe some re-learning to do which may take a day or so of nornal use.

There is also an assisted air valve on your car which meters air from in front of the throttle body into trunking that feeds air round the fuel injectors, this may benefit from cleaning as well.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2014, 16:59   #13
R3dbvll

Update : I took the car for a drive (hour in total), and so far, I can't get it to repeat the problem.

The revs idle 700 to 750, maybe very slightly drop with the A/C coming on/off. If you blip the throttle the revs come down then up a bit, then settle at 750 again.

It drives very smoothly, possibly more so than before, but that could be my imagination.

I would hesitate to say it is fixed, as the problem is sporadic, and goes away for a while, then comes back. However, it is quite a coincidence that the problem seems to have gone away for now.

With regards to the throttle body, any ideas as to how I would remove it, given how completely stuck it was? There was zero movement, as if it was still held fast by other bolts. I would like to remove and clean it, as you suggest.

One other thing : a possibly daft theory. Could the problem be fuel tank sender related? I say this because I *think* (not sure) that the problem has so far appeared when the car is lowish on fuel (not yet in the red but close).
When I went out for a drive, I filled the car up. BUt before I did, I left the car running on the forecourt to see if it would die, but it didn't, so there may be no connection.

Thanks for your continued help.
Old May 5th, 2014, 17:46   #14
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I'd leave it and see how it behaves.
If you have removed all the bolts then it's either just stuck on the gasket or someone has put sealant on it, I expect you will have to tap a knife or similar between the throttle body and the manifold to free it.
Maybe worth getting a new throttle body gasket and having another go at cleaning it when you have time.
You seem to have discounted fuel level by what you have said in your post.
Old May 5th, 2014, 18:04   #15
R3dbvll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
I'd leave it and see how it behaves.
If you have removed all the bolts then it's either just stuck on the gasket or someone has put sealant on it, I expect you will have to tap a knife or similar between the throttle body and the manifold to free it.
Maybe worth getting a new throttle body gasket and having another go at cleaning it when you have time.
You seem to have discounted fuel level by what you have said in your post.
Yes (regarding fuel level), possibly. I was just wondering if that could be a possibility. Not so much that I am running out of fuel, but that some part of the system thinks that fuel is low, and turns off the engine. I think this is highly unlikely, as I can restart the engine no problem, and drive.
Old May 6th, 2014, 19:42   #16
R3dbvll

Update:

Went for a long drive today - from Reading to Lyminton (New Forest), and driving around the New Forest all day, then back.
The engine behaved perfectly. There were lots of opportunities for the engine to cut out when idling (traffic queues), and when ever I parked, I left the engine running for a few minutes to check.

The revs would drop a little, but then bounce back.

The fuel economy on the way down was worse than I was expecting - could that be the computer adjusting after the clean? It improved as the day went on (I think, but I wasn't paying too close attention).

I have ordered a replacement gasket anyway, as I'd like to give the throttle body a proper clean.

I'm not confident enough to say the problem is fixed yet, until I've emptied the tank of fuel (to test my theory about low fuel), but it is promising.

Chris - thank you so much for your help

Now to fix some of the annoying rattles on the drivers door...
Old May 14th, 2014, 13:38   #17
R3dbvll

I think I can declare this issue fixed.

I bought a replacement gasket anyway, and got the whole throttle body off eventually. Gave it a thorough clean with carb cleaner and a tooth brush.
The car seems to run smoothly and with no more cut-outs.

Thanks for the help in sorting this one out.
The Following User Says Thank You to R3dbvll For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2014, 14:08   #18
R3dbvll

OK, it is NOT fixed.

Just came home from a drive today, and shortly before getting home, turned a corner and the throttle died.
It stuttered for a while, I managed to get it home.

Sat on the drive, the engine just kept stuttering as if it wasn't firing properly.

It is quite hot today (25c) so I don't know if that is a factor, as the AC is working hard.

I turned off the AC, and the idling improved, but was still not firing evenly, then the engine died eventually anyway.

Speaking to Camberley Independent Volvo, he said that he thinks I need to take it to Volvo to have the software reset or upgrade for the throttle module, and possibly have the whole thing replaced.

I'm interested in any opinions on that, as it sounds like it could be expensive.

Thanks
Chris.
Old May 17th, 2014, 15:02   #19
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Is your throttle body like this one:

http://www.ecutesting.com/volvo_thro...agneti_ma.html

Or like this one:

http://www.xemodex.com/technologyimp...ody-for-volvo/

Last edited by Chris_Rogers; May 17th, 2014 at 15:07.
Old May 17th, 2014, 15:13   #20
R3dbvll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
It looks like this :
http://www.xemodex.com/technologyimp...ody-for-volvo/

(the second link).

As an experiment (and this may have been a bad idea), I removed the hose to the throttle body, and started the engine just to see if I could see anything happening. As the engine was dying I gave the butterfly a poke to open it slightly (which was very hard to do), but it didn't seem to make any difference.

This resulted in a 'Reduced Performance' warning, and a message about the engine needed to be seen to or something.... can I reset that?

Additionally (and this may be entirely coincidental), but the fuel tank is down to a quarter full, which is when problems occurred before.