Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 - 05, Trunk won't open!

Views : 2940

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2016, 15:32   #11
Snoodini

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindvalll View Post
What post did you correct? Can't find it
check my post #5 and your post #6 your post quotes the unedited version of my post so you can see the change, i just changed the terminal pin definitions. Let me know how you get on.
Snoodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 17:43   #12
lindvalll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodini View Post
check my post #5 and your post #6 your post quotes the unedited version of my post so you can see the change, i just changed the terminal pin definitions. Let me know how you get on.
Okay, todays progress....

Bought a 12V battery power source. Wired the battery to pin 1 & 2. At first, I tested pin 1 to the minus pole and pin 2 to the plus side of the battery. Bam! I heard the lock making the "unlocking sound". Climed out of the trunk only to find I still wasn't able to open the trunk

Climed back in to try the opposite sides (pin 1 to plus & pin 2 to minus) and the lock still makes sounds, but much less. Tried that back end forth like 10 times, and the lock responded every time slight differently. Sometimes less and sometimes more intense sound. Trunk still locked. Is the lock somehow stuck in locking mode? Is the small 12V battery to weak?
I also gave dismounting the lock ago once again by removing the 3 black screws securing the lock to the trunk, but how muck force should one use to bent it open. The lock is loose but still holding the trunk in place, the trunk will only open 1-2 cm or so. How come everyone else find this very easy to dismount?

So I gave up. Any idea what happend? Tomorrow I will try to bypass the fitted harness with the new one I'll collect at Volvo tomorrow. Good thing now, it's confirmed that the harness indeed is faulty - even though I still can't get it open. Will try my luck with new harness tomorrow...

(and before getting angry at me for not removing the connector, in the first picture, I did disconnect it both from the harness connector itself and from the handle outside)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-04-06 17.54.18.jpg (189.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by lindvalll; Apr 6th, 2016 at 18:44.
lindvalll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 19:09   #13
Snoodini

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Did you push up on the boot lid as you activated the lock? It doesn't have the force to pop it open itself, only to unlock. Think when you open it normally, not only do you press the button but at the same time you pull up in the hatch.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 19:43   #14
lindvalll

Quote:
Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Did you push up on the boot lid as you activated the lock? It doesn't have the force to pop it open itself, only to unlock. Think when you open it normally, not only do you press the button but at the same time you pull up in the hatch.
I did try to push it open with my head at the same time when I was lying there in the trunk. But it would not open. I maybe need to call in a friend, to actually pull the trunk upwards from the outside.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 20:33   #15
Snoodini

Quote:
I did try to push it open with my head at the same time when I was lying there in the trunk. But it would not open.
Haha, well there's an image... We've all been there!
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 21:53   #16
lindvalll

Quote:
Haha, well there's an image... We've all been there!
Here is dropbox link to a video that's showing what I mean about not being able to open the trunk even though the 3 screws are gone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ybaenjrf65...06.47.mp4?dl=0

As you can see, Im only able to jiggle it just a little. Can't figure out how to get it open...

Right now Im so ****ed of at Volvos lock design. First of, no emergency opener. Secondly, practically impossible to disassemble even from the inside

Last edited by lindvalll; Apr 6th, 2016 at 21:56.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 23:01   #17
Snoodini

Well, i'm stumped. When i did mine i did not have to manually open it from the inside. In my guide I said that I didnt need to do this to get it open, and i thought that the method i'd described would work, well apparently not.

The only way I can think of now (except for using your new wiring harness tomorrow) is to somehow get in through to the trip lever through that opening in the body where the electrical connector goes with something thin... it's a long shot, especially without being able to remember where it is!

There must be a way to do it..... somehow, I can't believe that it would be designed such that it absolutely can't be opened without the presence of electricity.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 05:44   #18
lindvalll

Quote:
Well, i'm stumped. When i did mine i did not have to manually open it from the inside. In my guide I said that I didnt need to do this to get it open, and i thought that the method i'd described would work, well apparently not.

The only way I can think of now (except for using your new wiring harness tomorrow) is to somehow get in through to the trip lever through that opening in the body where the electrical connector goes with something thin... it's a long shot, especially without being able to remember where it is!

There must be a way to do it..... somehow, I can't believe that it would be designed such that it absolutely can't be opened without the presence of electricity.
Well, there are two other screws thats seem to hold the other end of the lock to the chassie. But, I find it very risky to do this because I can't remove the big grey plastic cover there. That cover itself is held down by the trunk haha. Moment 22 here...

Anyway, will try the new harness later today! Will keep you updated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-04-04 17.46.41.jpg (156.7 KB, 6 views)
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 11:16   #19
lindvalll

Alright! What a great day! Got my new wiring harness from Volvo and hooked it up temporarily to the lock and the handle. BAM! Worked like a charm :=)

And FYI, I did ask a Volvo mechanic while picking up my new wiring harness about opening the boot when it's locked. He said that the two torx screws that holds the lock to the chassie also needed to be removed. Then the whole thing, including the grey plastic cover would come off.

But I didn't have to take it that far!

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by lindvalll; Apr 7th, 2016 at 11:20.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lindvalll For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 11:42   #20
Snoodini

Quote:
Alright! What a great day! Got my new wiring harness from Volvo and hooked it up temporarily to the lock and the handle. BAM! Worked like a charm :=)

And FYI, I did ask a Volvo mechanic while picking up my new wiring harness about opening the boot when it's locked. He said that the two torx screws that holds the lock to the chassie also needed to be removed. Then the whole thing, including the grey plastic cover would come off.

But I didn't have to take it that far!

Thanks for all the help!
Great! I'm glad you got it sorted now! and I'll update my guide with that information about unscrewing the striker also!
The Following User Says Thank You to Snoodini For This Useful Post:

Tags
boot, lock, trunk