Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rust below tailgate behind rear bumper - repair panel?

Views : 3686

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2017, 16:24   #1
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default Rust below tailgate behind rear bumper - repair panel?

I'm about to get the rear end of the 240 looked at. It is clearly visible looking up behind the rear bumper in the usual area. I'll get it done. There's a body work chap who has done work for me before and that work is still OK.

I recall mention in the forum of repair panels being available. Someone said they went to a repair bodyshop and supplied the panel which was gratefully received as useful.

What is the current recommendation and experience about getting that repair panel please? Who sells them and is there a realistic choice between suppliers please?

This 240 is getting a few jobs done...my health must be improving if I'm getting things done.

And an MOT is booked for 8am Wednesday, a month less one day before it is due. A different place a different tester. I suspect the previous place might not have been rigorous and that's no good. This tester is fully happy to show me what he is inspecting and finding as he does the test. And to have an additional look at the bodywork underneath before I go to the entirely separate bodyshop.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 12:34   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

I think Braydons was mentioned and the price was just under £90. Goes all across and a bit up the sides. Picture of this panel wanted. Mine could do with replacing too. If you ask them please ask them how many of them they have in stock. Ta.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 13:57   #3
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thank you.

Brookhouse seem to do two slam panels, one repro B9025670 and one genuine Volvo 3528946. https://classicvolvoparts.co.uk/part..._Repair_Panels

Are those, one of them, what I am likely to need? I somehow imagined something extending down the bodywork a bit but I don't know why I thought that.

Edit: 'phoned FRF Volvo. They have quoted me £72 including VAT and after discount. Delivery cost wiould be determined by size to be measured when they receive it. Probably about a month from Sweden. Volvo Classic Parts.

Brookhouse web site says £82.20 for the Volvo part. If I remember Brookhouse pricing correctlythat would be plus VAT. And they wuld also have to charge delivery.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Aug 29th, 2017 at 14:24.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 15:04   #4
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Well. The body shop man is of the old school and will bend his own metal. He knows a bit about Volvo. Has done a rather nice 144.

The quote to cut out &c. &c. &c, and to re-spray the metal sunshine roof and fix two small rear wing patches is a bearable price. He is a sleeves rolled up sort of chap. Gets stuck in looking at the car before giving his opinion and price. And his previous work for me is lasting. So I ain't shopping around.

It's good to have a car with signs of a decent length of future and so it is worth paying to get done.

And as of this morning the MOT is valid until 29 September 2018 and no advisories .

The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 16:59   #5
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Here's a useful discussion about this, including a pic of the replacement panel...

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...e+repair+panel

Stephen - I'm not saying your repairman isn't very good - but I would suggest using the replacement panel. Making a 240 tailgate fit is hard at the best of times, but making the tailgate fit with a hand-fabricated sill beneath it sounds like a nightmare. It's a deceptively complex curve with a shoulder that the chrome trim goes on.

My two-bobs-worth,
John
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 22:49   #6
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Ah good. That 2014 thread. Thank you. That is useful information.

That is perhaps summarised by Mike Brace. To misquote Mike, different cars need different areas and amounts of metal - one finds out when one actually does the job, And other people posted similar comments from their experience.

My repairman has carefully inspected the car. And his plan and price take account of whatever might be there when fully opened up. A gentleman of the old school.

The two photographs of the panel are very helpful. Especially compared to the info available elsewhere online. They do very usefully make it seem clear that the panel extends down to or towards the floor pan. That panel might even include part of the floor pan. That is information I did not have for my repairman and I will pass than on.

And that part (same number anyway, 3528946) is still supplied by Volvo, via both Brookhouse and Volvo dealers. Cheaper from FRF Volvo. It's from Volvo Classic Parts, has to be ordered from Sweden. Unless Brookhouse or someone has some in stock.
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 00:15   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

If you haven't already, get your head under the rear of the car and look backwards to the underside of the panel. You might get quite a nasty shock. I don't think Volvo did much undersealing there. Comment based on my '92.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 09:37   #8
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I got the Brockhouse one once and it was only the cill section, not extending below the bumper or meeting the floor pan.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 12:42   #9
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thank you Clifford.

Does anyone know whether the genuine Volvo panel does [still] extend towards or to meet or even replace part of the floor pan?

These are early days. The first inspection by my repairer was only yesterday. To spell it out the damage appears to be lower down, in the floor pan area. And shocking is one word for it Derek - I was almost afraid to get it looked at for fear of the answer. But it can and will be very well repaired and at a bearable price.

I know that e.g. BMC did the dreadful rear subframe mud and rust trap. Why oh why did Volvo do this to the 240 estate??? And. What makes THAT bit of the car rust, rust, rust....???
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 12:49   #10
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

We are buying the genuine Volvo slam panel. I actually anticipated that my repairer would agree. He is a gentleman. And he is happy about it.

EDIT: The panel does come from Sweden. Volvo Special Parts take a bit of time. When it arrives I will try to take pics of what they supply now. I hope the current genuine Volvo slam panels are as good as previously. And I'll try to put some pics in a post in the forum.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Sep 1st, 2017 at 13:02.