Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 2011 Volvo Specifications

Views : 51724

Replies : 325

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2010, 16:19   #31
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

Ok. You make a case for both the powered tailgate & the automatic wipers. Described the way that you both do perhaps I would find them both useful altrhough I would be more easily convinced about the wipers than the tailgate! I had never really thought of auto wipers as infinitely variable intermittent wipe before.

Inadequate still seems a reasonable description for a driver who cannot work out when to turn on/off the lights - particularily with a Volvo's specification of "defensive" lighting.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 16:24   #32
jeffo

I drive a Jaguar XKR; made back in the days of Ford Ownership. It is the first car I have ever owned with Automatic Lights, and Automatic wipers. Having experienced the easse of simply forgetting about any of this and just driving the car, I would find it hard to go without them.

Saying that, my wife drives a Kia Sedona (soon to be replaced by an XC90 Exec.) and the auto wipers are totally useless; they never come on when you want them, and then wipe at random intervals when completely dry. I really hope Volvo use the same system as in the Jag.

My Jag also has a Heated Windscreen; another feature I would find it difficult to live without as I have not scraped a windscreen in a good few years. I really Wish Volvo would pick that feature up from the Ford designers.
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 16:35   #33
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Ok. You make a case for both the powered tailgate & the automatic wipers. Described the way that you both do perhaps I would find them both useful altrhough I would be more easily convinced about the wipers than the tailgate! I had never really thought of auto wipers as infinitely variable intermittent wipe before.

Inadequate still seems a reasonable description for a driver who cannot work out when to turn on/off the lights - particularily with a Volvo's specification of "defensive" lighting.
Agreed on all counts. I often camp during the sunny season and I can't quite envisage waiting for the tailgate to open/close. It would be nice if it could be turned off in the menus but I don't think it can.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 16:37   #34
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffo View Post
I drive a Jaguar XKR; made back in the days of Ford Ownership. It is the first car I have ever owned with Automatic Lights, and Automatic wipers. Having experienced the easse of simply forgetting about any of this and just driving the car, I would find it hard to go without them.

Saying that, my wife drives a Kia Sedona (soon to be replaced by an XC90 Exec.) and the auto wipers are totally useless; they never come on when you want them, and then wipe at random intervals when completely dry. I really hope Volvo use the same system as in the Jag.

My Jag also has a Heated Windscreen; another feature I would find it difficult to live without as I have not scraped a windscreen in a good few years. I really Wish Volvo would pick that feature up from the Ford designers.
I can't understand why more manufacturers have not installed a heated windscreen. That would have been great for the last 4 months!! Auto lights I'm not so sure about but since they are always on a Volvo I can't see as its going to cause a problem.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 16:39   #35
Daleman
Master Member

Default demonstrators wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155mph View Post
If the have announced the D5 for the upcoming S60, I cannot see Volvo discontinuing the engine in the rest of their line-up. They might however drop the 2.4D for the D3.

Personally I'd forgone the extra power of the D5 for the 2.4D, so I would be disappointed if the engine was discontinued, but without a test drive, no way to say how the D3 would perform.

I would certainly not buy a car I had not test driven.
They had better get some 2.0 D3 demonstrators over quick then because I think there are a good few XC60 in the pipeline expecting the 2.4 engine in their car who will be thinking the same!

Wonder if there will be an automatic 2.0 D3 that’s economical on its way!
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 16:45   #36
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

Agreed about the heated windscreen. Doing away with frozen windscreen wipers & all out cold air blasts to stop window steaming is a very good thing. Given Volvo is Swedish (cold in winter), Ford owned & safety concious it is surprising that they are abscent.

I think that you will be waiting until August to try a D3. Exactly the same happened last year with the then new 2.4D (which only lasted one year!) & D5. They were advertised about now, first deliveries in June were preordered customer cars, & only when those had been dealt with did dealers get demonstrators which meant August. I would share your concerns about this.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 16:55   #37
jeffo

Just had a call from my dealer, re: 2011 XC90 Executive.

He confirmed (as we already knew) that the Bluetooth will now be integrated. this is nothing new and has been listed on the website for a while.

He also said that the 2.4D is staying at 185hp, with a dealer fit option of 205hp for £600. Is this option available cheaper, as it is presumably just an ECU remap.

There appear to be no other changes in the Exec model that he was aware of.
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 17:54   #38
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
They had better get some 2.0 D3 demonstrators over quick then because I think there are a good few XC60 in the pipeline expecting the 2.4 engine in their car who will be thinking the same!

Wonder if there will be an automatic 2.0 D3 that’s economical on its way!
Not entirely sure of the legalities but if you've signed for a D5 are they not honour bound to supply that?
Again not sure of the details but the S60 might not be available until May also same time as the xc
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 18:01   #39
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Contractually, no. They may withdraw a product and offer a full refund. They may offer an alternative product, but they are certainly not contractually bound to supply what is stated in the agreement. Honour? Now that's something completely different, but we are talking car sales here.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 18:04   #40
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

If you look at the link below for the new S60 you will find the details of the D3 & D5. If you look at the XC60 page you will still find the my2010 175hp 2.4D.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...fications.aspx