Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 2011 Volvo Specifications

Views : 51717

Replies : 325

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2010, 18:55   #41
Daleman
Master Member

Default poor revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
If you look at the link below for the new S60 you will find the details of the D3 & D5. If you look at the XC60 page you will still find the my2010 175hp 2.4D.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...fications.aspx
I hope the maximum engine revs are more than the 4400 rpm stated or I won’t need a test drive!
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 19:16   #42
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
I hope the maximum engine revs are more than the 4400 rpm stated or I won’t need a test drive!
Why not? - 4400 rpm is certainly high enough on my d5 to break all speed limits in UK, to sit happily in the outside lane in Germany and to scare the pants of people when I put the foot down at traffics lights where you can leave most cars standing

This is a diesel with a 6 speed box - try driving one then you will see that more is not required. Petrol engines benefit from higher revs, but not diesel, that is one of the major selling points and reasons for their popularity with commercial fleets
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 19:52   #43
Daleman
Master Member

Default fair racing for a diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Why not? - 4400 rpm is certainly high enough on my d5 to break all speed limits in UK, to sit happily in the outside lane in Germany and to scare the pants of people when I put the foot down at traffics lights where you can leave most cars standing

This is a diesel with a 6 speed box - try driving one then you will see that more is not required. Petrol engines benefit from higher revs, but not diesel, that is one of the major selling points and reasons for their popularity with commercial fleets
Yes your right, 4500 revs is fair racing for a diesel. I’m used to a petrol 4 cyl so when I drove the T5 I guess the extra cyl sounded like a normal fairly high revving petrol engine to me. Sorry I have the diesel world to get into with this car.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 20:55   #44
scrambler

I was hoping that the XC60 radio/sat nav interface would be updated to the new S60 spec. Also it's a shame they don't fit the XC90 D5 power upgrade as standard. It would save having to sound like a boy racer when getting an insurance quote.
scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 21:45   #45
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler View Post
I was hoping that the XC60 radio/sat nav interface would be updated to the new S60 spec. Also it's a shame they don't fit the XC90 D5 power upgrade as standard. It would save having to sound like a boy racer when getting an insurance quote.
What is the new interface like - it may be that it is only a software upgrade and that it will become available to existing XC60s?

I thought that the XC90 d5 power upgrade only brought it up to similar to the d5 fitted into the XC60 already?
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 21:53   #46
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
Pretty sure this new engine is only bound for the XC60; they will keep the 2.4 in the XC90

From what I've read on the Volvo website, the original 2.4D was 163hp it was then re-developed with a twin turbo and called the D5. The "old" 2.4D was retuned to 175 and dropped into the DRIVe. They have a new D3 engine that is being used on the XC60 and s60. The AWD D5 is much heavier than the Drive since it has no rear diff and no prop shaft! I would suggest that the D5 is not going anywhere soon. The D3 has 400nm/163hp compared to the D5 420nm/205hp the new 2.0D may be well suited for the drive model. Not sure if I'm trying to talk you lot into it or myself ;-)

The XC90 is not going to change in terms of engine/gearbox.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 22:12   #47
scrambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
What is the new interface like - it may be that it is only a software upgrade and that it will become available to existing XC60s?

I thought that the XC90 d5 power upgrade only brought it up to similar to the d5 fitted into the XC60 already?
From what I've read on the S60, the sat nav and radio info are combined. a bit like Audi, Landrover, Jaguar, etc. So if you don't have sat nav, you still get a nice screen to display all the radio info. The sat nav maybe touch screen as well.
Other than this, the S60 dash looks identical to the XC60.

Interestingly, even with the power upgrade the XC90 D5 isn't a match for the XC60 D5. The XC60's max torque is spread over a much wider rev range. 1500 - 3250 as apposed to 2000 - 2750 in the XC90. Even though both engines are called D5, there must be quite a lot of differences. I wonder why they can't just put the XC60 engine in the XC90?
scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 22:14   #48
Daleman
Master Member

Default keep talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay1 View Post
From what I've read on the Volvo website, the original 2.4D was 163hp it was then re-developed with a twin turbo and called the D5. The "old" 2.4D was retuned to 175 and dropped into the DRIVe. They have a new D3 engine that is being used on the XC60 and s60. The AWD D5 is much heavier than the Drive since it has no rear diff and no prop shaft! I would suggest that the D5 is not going anywhere soon. The D3 has 400nm/163hp compared to the D5 420nm/205hp the new 2.0D may be well suited for the drive model. Not sure if I'm trying to talk you lot into it or myself ;-)

The XC90 is not going to change in terms of engine/gearbox.

No keep talking because I also need convincing the 2.0 T3 is going to be as good as the now apparently redundant 2.4
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 00:12   #49
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

The D3 as I see it!

The D3 has been around for a good few years as part of the Volvo Penta marine engine range as has the 2.4 litre. The D3 is just a short stroke version of the 2.4D & might well be smoother.

Remarkably the D3 produces nearly as much torque as the 2.4D/D5 and does so from even lower in the rev range. This low rev torque is one of the highlights of the Volvo 5 cylinder engines.

The reduction of power from 175hp to 163hp is regretable, but probably not very noticeable most of the time, as I solidly believe that there is no substitute for power.

I also think the reduction in capacity is regretable but probably inevitable. In order to improve CO2 figures all manufacturers are taking small engines to higher & higher levels of tune & then fitting them in heavier cars than would have been considered desirable for the engine capacity a few years ago. This works fine for most of the time but not so well when towing a caravan etc.

On balance the D3 might well be a wonderful engine - possibly better than the 2.4D - but I don't see how any of us will find out for sure until July/ August. At the end of the day it is a choice but I would be wary about ordering an engine that had never been in a car before. If you do then I hope that it is as good as it might well be.

The link below gives the power / torque curves for the different engines but you can see that they haven't been released for the D3 yet. I will fell much more comfortable when they have & I can compare the different engines. Click the PDF link to get the data & graphs which are on page 2:

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...del/Other.aspx

Last edited by ChrisE; Mar 16th, 2010 at 00:14.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisE For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 10:34   #50
mas66
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler View Post
I was hoping that the XC60 radio/sat nav interface would be updated to the new S60 spec........
The only downside I can see to the new satnav in the S60 (and possibly XC60) is that anyone who doesnt choose the satnav option is very restricted in what they can fit afterwards..... whereas with the current setup in the XC60 although it leaves a blank plastic plate it does allow some pretty cool aftermarket solutions !

Cheers
mas66 is offline   Reply With Quote